fish and mammalian kidney (1 Viewer)

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
identify the role of the kidney in the excretory system of fish and mammals

^ im having a lil bit of trouble with this dotpoint..despite its simplistic nature.. its just that some people say they have the same role, but different ways of carrying out that role.. while others say freshwater, marine and mammalian kidneys have totally different roles... im EXTREMELY confused and would appreciate if someone could clarify for me =( .. the spotlight textbook says the roles 'slightly' differ but doesnt really say specifically how they differ..this is all i want to know..gargh.. bloody bio, why cant it be straightforward like chem =|

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
This is what i have ... dunno if its quite correct ... but here it is:

In the mammalian kidney water reabsorption is a passive process. Reabsorption of sodium salts is an active process. Glucose and amino acids are actively reabsorbed.
Many drugs are actively secreted by the kidney tubules.
Depending on their environment, fish can either conserve water by excreting a concentrated urine (marine fish) or release water by excreting a dilute urine (freshwater fish). A terrestrial environment is much more variable than an aquatic environment. Compared with fish, the kidneys of mammals must respond to variable water loss and gain.

Hope it helps :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well the wherever it was said that the kidneys have the same role in the two are both right and wrong. They are right because they both perform the basic function of excreting wastes. But they are wrong as the type of waste and concentration excreted by kidneys is different. For most land mammals kidneys excrete small amounts of concentrated urine as to conserve water.
For saltwater fish salt from the outside water diffuses into the fish and water leaves by osmosis hence water must be conserved and excess salt must be removed. This is done by producing small amounts of concentrated urine.
For freshwater fish, water enters the fish by osmosis and salt leaves by diffusion and hence excess water must be removed and salt be conserved. This is done by producing large amounts of dilute urine.

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
hey thanks! it did help..a lot.. woo~ i have now finished the maintaining a balance part of the syllabus, go me [and u guys lol]!

beydone3

HSC
Help Meeeeeeeeeeee

hey you guys...its me anita
can anyone help me with a pac bio assigment i have cumming up. i was wondreing if anyone done an assignment concerning pieces of liver and hydroporixide.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
yes. we did that as our first prac expt.

that was for measuring substrate concentration wasn't it?

pretty sure it was.

what do you need help with?

beydone3

HSC
heyyyyyyy its me anitaa i neeed answers to this questions..........PLZ HELP

1. describe the chemical composition of enzymes and use a model todescribe their substarte specifity

beydone3

HSC
hey its anna.................i need the methodd and the vadility and reliabilty of experiment OH n also justified results THANXXXXXXXX

kow_dude

HSC
beydone3 said:
heyyyyyyy its me anitaa i neeed answers to this questions..........PLZ HELP

1. describe the chemical composition of enzymes and use a model todescribe their substarte specifity
Quoting from Survivor39

"Enzyme is a protein

Almost all proteins are made up of amino acids - a polypeptide.

Primary structure - The chain of amino acid join together (a polypeptide)
Secondary structure - the backbone of the polypeptide interact to form a specific shape
Tertiary structure - all of the atoms of the polypeptides including the sidechains interact and form a specific shape
Quaternary structure - some proteins or enzymes are made up of more than 1 polypeptide. The different "subunits" or polypeptide interact to give a final shape.

It is due to the folding of the protein (interaction of the various atoms within a polypeptide) that you can a final 3D structure."

The lock and Key model can be used to illustrate enzyme substrate specifity.

Abtari

HSC
beydone3 said:
hey its anna.................i need the methodd and the vadility and reliabilty of experiment OH n also justified results THANXXXXXXXX
wot on earth are u trying to say..

Abtari

HSC
oranGez said:
identify the role of the kidney in the excretory system of fish and mammals

^ im having a lil bit of trouble with this dotpoint..despite its simplistic nature.. its just that some people say they have the same role, but different ways of carrying out that role.. while others say freshwater, marine and mammalian kidneys have totally different roles... im EXTREMELY confused and would appreciate if someone could clarify for me =( .. the spotlight textbook says the roles 'slightly' differ but doesnt really say specifically how they differ..this is all i want to know..gargh.. bloody bio, why cant it be straightforward like chem =|
you should treat every dotpoint on its own merits. this one merely asks for you to identify the role of the kidney in fish and mammals' excretory systems. essentially the role of the kidney in the fish and in the mammals are the SAME - to regulate the composition of salts and water in the body, thereby maintaining homeostasis.

in regards to your query about different roles of mammals, freshwater fish and marine fish, they DO NOT have different roles.. they are the same. The only difference lies in the fact that they achieve homeostasis through different means.. however their actual role/function is same.

you don't need this now..it will come up in a latter dotpoint. But you seem curious so here goes:
mammalian kidney = excretes urea + varying water amount = varying conc. urine
freshwater fish kidney = uric acid + copious amounts of water = dilute urine
marine fish kidney = trimethylamine oxide + little water = concentrated urine

hope that clears it up a bit. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)