fish keeping (1 Viewer)

ice ken

HSC
any 1 have any fish? if so wat type and how big r ure tanks? :)

m.c.moey

Purple's a fruit
HSC
keep african cichlids,
got a 2ft tank, want to sell the fish though, and buy a childrens python..

CieL

HSC
Hm my bf and I keep fish...
The tank is about 4-5 feet long I suppose.... huge one....

We have

Two siamese fighting fish (they're like buddies lol)
One silver dollar
One glass fish
One swordtail
Two angelfish
Two suckerfishes (algae cleaners or whatever they're called)
One widowfish
One sharkfish
One albino something that looks like a goblin
Six bullet fish
Five redeyes

I think I've missed some too... we had more but we made the mistake of putting in a Yabbie and it ate some of our fishes, it ate:
One swordtail
One siamese fighting fish
One widow
One mollie
One black ghost
Two bullets
One glassfish

Ahhh I lost count =S Now we put in in a smaller tank inside the big tank and called it the "jail" for the bad Yabbie...

HSC
N/A
^ahahahaa, yabbie jail! lol

Anyway. I've got a 38L tank on my desk, and I have three little Comet Goldfish in it (2 are 4 months old, the other is 6 months old. So they're more or less babies). It is a big tank for such small fishies, but I want to make sure they're healthy and have enough room to grow and live in the same tank for years :)

I kinda feel guilty because I don't really spend as much time with/affection on my fish as I do with my dogs, but like... they're fish. What can I do other than to occasionally sit in front of the tank looking at them :/

lengy

HSC
I've always wanted a pet of my own, so I could be more responsible. Considering getting Siamese Fighting Fish. They're pretty and low maintenance, just how people should be :p

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I have 2 goldfish, in a small tank (maybe 30cm across).

They're cute, but I'm scared that they'll get fungus. That's what happened to a lot of my ex-fishies. I treated their tank last time I cleaned it, just to make sure.

Fish are just decorative pets. You can't really teach them tricks or play with them or anything. But they're nice to look at.

HSC
N/A
I've been thinking about getting Siamese fighting fish for my brother, actually.

They look awesome, don't take up a lot of space, and in my opinion are probably easier to take care of than your common goldfish :D Maybe the easiest fish to take care of full stop

CieL

HSC
Yeah Siamese Fighting Fish are really easy to maintain...

You can leave them in a glass, leave them there so long their shit is an inch thick, feed them of course, and they'll still survive... my bf's friend did that to his male fighter so he could breed it

CieL

HSC
glitterfairy said:
What can I do other than to occasionally sit in front of the tank looking at them :/
Stick a chopstick in and create a mini whirlpool X]

ice ken

HSC
CieL said:
Hm my bf and I keep fish...
The tank is about 4-5 feet long I suppose.... huge one....

We have

One silver dollar
One glass fish
One swordtail
Two angelfish
One widowfish
One sharkfish
Six bullet fish
Five redeyes

I think I've missed some too... we had more but we made the mistake of putting in a Yabbie and it ate some of our fishes, it ate:
One swordtail
One widow
One mollie
One black ghost
Two bullets
One glassfish

Ahhh I lost count =S Now we put in in a smaller tank inside the big tank and called it the "jail" for the bad Yabbie...
massive variety lol.
well i think siamese fighting fish are the easiest to keep considering their space but i think it would not be good if u put it in a bowl cause its bad. at least a 2 ft tank i think. cause its cruel to put fish in such a small place.

well i have in my 5ft tank:
3 oscars(4 inches)
6 gold severums(2.5-3inches)
barcoo grunter(9-10 inches)

and 2 ft tank:
8 convicts and 2 gold gouramis

pond:
30 + goldfish.

hmm convicts are realli easy to look afta also u dont even need to feed em for weeks and they still live. once their tank was full of algae on rocks, i didnt have time to clean cause they were still in the 5 ft so i left it there for like 3 weeks. they still normal. but they are very agressive fish though.

CieL

HSC
^
^
OOhh.. I forgot to mention we have a gold gourami too.. and two kissing fish^^.. oh, and we had two texas fish but one died from disease and we fed it to the yabbie, which is still alive and just shed his shell for the 2nd time today ehehe

Yeah my bf has a backyard pond as well... with like 30+ koi in there, I think he started out with 2 or 3 years ago and they just kept reproducing... heaps died a few months ago cos his mum didnt change the water properly or something, I forget what she did...

Oscars are crazy! I went to the aquarium and stuck my finger at the top corner of the tank and those fishes will jump out of the water to nip your finger! I got so scared =.=" But we cant have them or else they'll kill all our other fish lol

HSC
N/A
ice ken said:
massive variety lol.
well i think siamese fighting fish are the easiest to keep considering their space but i think it would not be good if u put it in a bowl cause its bad. at least a 2 ft tank i think. cause its cruel to put fish in such a small place.
Actually, Siamese fish like small spaces - it's when you put them in bigger spaces that they start freaking out and can die of stress :/

But for most/all other fish, big tanks for the win :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Actually, Siamese fish like small spaces - it's when you put them in bigger spaces that they start freaking out and can die of stress :/
I'd disagree with that actually, they should have a decent sized tank like most other freshwater fishies.

CieL said:
I forgot to mention we have a gold gourami too..
Eek. I don't like gouramis, mainly because when I was little my uncle kept this massive one that was like the size of a rabbit and it just felt really weird seeing it grow and grow till you could look it in the eyes *shudders* Though that's probably nothing like the one you're talking about lol.

Oh, and to the OT: I had 2 goldfish (one inventively known as blackie and the other goldie) and a purple fighting fish (which went nameless cos he was cool like a ninja)...they were a bit old though so now they're in that giant aquarium in the sky.

Last edited:

bubbly

HSC
CieL said:
One silver dollar
One glass fish
One swordtail
Two angelfish
One widowfish
One sharkfish
Six bullet fish
Five redeyes

One swordtail
One widow
One mollie
One black ghost
Two bullets
One glassfish

I wish that i had that many fish.:( I only have 4 fish. 3 fantail goldfish & 1 shubunkan. (not correct spelling, soz guys). I keep them in 30L fish tank which is 40cmx25cmx70cm approx. I used 2 only have 2 fish but theygotfungal poisonin & died. :( Oh well. @ least the fish that i currently have r still alive. Im lookin 2 buy a 100L tank but that will cost a bit so i guess i will have 2 invest in 1 wen i have money.....

CieL

HSC
kami said:
I'd disagree with that actually, they should have a decent sized tank like most other freshwater fishies.
Yeah I used to keep my fighting fish in a typical small tank... and they grew like, a millimetre... then I chucked them in my bf's tank and they grew half their original body length of something...

His friend also chucked his male fighter in my bf's tank and that guy was so battered he had no fins, two weeks later he grew all his fins back and got so massive even the Texas fighting fish are scared of him...

kami said:
Eek. I don't like gouramis, mainly because when I was little my uncle kept this massive one that was like the size of a rabbit and it just felt really weird seeing it grow and grow till you could look it in the eyes *shudders* Though that's probably nothing like the one you're talking about lol.
DAYMMM you have an idea of how much your uncle's gourami would go for? Hundreds... The one we have is still a baby... smaller than the size of my "large" silver dollar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)