fitting in 2 majors (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I'm insanely indecisive, so ive changed my majors again, however my credit load for my whole degree is 173.... (or dont I have to do those stupid 3uoc life seminars/chem 1000 etc subjects?)

Does that mean i will pay hecs for all of them, or do i have to full fee pay the rest? (my min award for degree is 144 uoc)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
You know, I've been wondering the same thing. I took a few subjects this year *cough* GEOS *cough* that are totally irrelevant to my degree if I can change majors. Now they've clogged up space that I need for math, and hence I'll need to do more math in year two but in the end will have to do a few more subjects as a result of choosing two subjects that I now see as not in my chosen major. That would all be well and good but it's probable that it will end up adding $1000 to my HECS if I do have to pay for them, which annoys me.

I beg the answer to the above question too.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I talked to the science student office today. You can't double major in adv science :( But you can in science. And you can't exceed the credit limit, unless you want to full fee pay.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
I talked to the science student office today. You can't double major in adv science :( But you can in science. And you can't exceed the credit limit, unless you want to full fee pay.
Try to subsitute them as gen eds.

What majors are u thinking of doing? You can double major in Comp Sci & Maths in Adv Sci. This leads to Math & Comp Sci Hnrs (1/2 of each). Or you could consider transferring into a combined degree like BE (Comp Eng)/BSc (Maths).

It would be interesting to see whether you could just do normal Science and then transfer into Adv Sci in your Honours yr, and hence avoid doing those god-awful Adv Sci only subjects, like LIFE1000.

If you're thinking of doing Honours in Science, whether it be BSc, combined BSc or Adv Sci, the "Adv Sci" tag means squat. Most important is what class of honours you attain, eg 1st class honours, as this is more impressive and is the main determinant for APAs for those considering further research.

If you are doing Maths, you can accelerate and do subjects now which will later be counted to your Honours yr. This is because many of the higher pure maths subjects are on a 2yr cycle.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Nah i wanted a microbiology major and an applied math one. But applied math is only available in the bsc. And it would be 173uoc all up. So it would cost heaps. You can do bsc then just go onto honours, and that's basically an adv sci. Plus I probably wouldn't do honours in math since anything bar 1st class honours looks bad. And 1st class honours is out of my reach.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I get off easy. I went to the science office today and was told what I should have known all along. For me, the subjects that I thought were useless count in the education part as "Earth and Environmental Science", which all B.Sc B.Ed students must do, hence I don't exceed the credit limit, but I may have to do one subject extra, unless I can get an exemption for math (as in, 1041 counting as 1031)...I thought I'd provide closure for my part of the tale.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
The B sc and most other sci related degrees are quite confusing...though, as a general question, does anyone know whether bsc students are required to do 2 majors, or 1 major plus electives each semester?

HSC
Rekkusu said:
The B sc and most other sci related degrees are quite confusing...though, as a general question, does anyone know whether bsc students are required to do 2 majors, or 1 major plus electives each semester?
1 major, 1 minor + 4 electives

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Does anyone know what the deal is if you're majoring in maths?

It seems when you look up information on this sort of stuff they say something along the lines of "for any science degree you need to do this, this, and this.... unless you are majoring in maths", but they never really elaborate for us mathmites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)