Five Muslim radical clerics Banned from speaking to Media (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Muslim leaders' gag for al-Hilaly

By Richard Kerbaj
March 09, 2007 12:44am

Article from: The Australian
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

FIVE of the nation's most powerful Islamic clerics, including Sheik Taj al-Din al-Hilaly, have been banned from talking to the media by Muslim leaders for delivering "anti-Australian" messages.
The Lebanese Muslim Association has gagged the imams from Lakemba Mosque in Sydney's southwest from media commentary - especially to Arabic news outlets - because of the "immeasurable damage" they have caused the community.
A letter was yesterday sent by the Lebanese Muslim Association to its five imams, including Sheik Yahya Safi - the official Australian representative to the Mufti of Lebanon - Sheik Shady Suleiman, and Sheik Hilaly.
The letter, obtained by The Australian, demands the imams "pause and desist" from talking to any media outlet, in particular Sydney's Arabic community radio station Voice of Islam.
The imams have been told they could lose their positions as spiritual leaders at the nation's largest mosque if they defy the LMA's orders.
LMA president Tom Zreika yesterday told The Australian the letter was issued to end the "perceived un-Australian viewpoints given by some clerics".
"One of the big issues is the double-speak by the various imams," Mr Zreika said.

He added that the messages some clerics delivered in Arabic contradicted comments given in English while talking to the mainstream media.
"They go on to the Voice of Islam and talk about something which really isn't in accordance with our views as Australians.
"(While) most of our clerics are selected on the basis that they have Australian values and Australian characteristics ... some of them haven't (lived) up to that."
The LMA's hardline approach towards silencing its clerics comes after the furore sparked by Sheik Hilaly last year, following revelations in The Australian last month that the mufti was banned from delivering sermons at Lakemba Mosque.
Sheik Hilaly caused national and international uproar last October when The Australian uncovered a sermon in which he compared women to "uncovered meat" and joked about Sydney's infamous gang rapes.
The cleric, who has been the nominal head of Australia's Muslim community for years, further compounded the controversy by subsequently appearing on Egyptian television to dismiss the furore over his insults to women and make disparaging remarks about Australia's convict beginnings.
Sheik Shadi yesterday told The Australian that he supported the LMA's decision, saying it was in the best interests of the Muslim and wider community.

http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23600,21349436-2,00.html
At last some positive move :mad1:. But there is freedom of expression issue involved here. it seems justified to me since these radical clerics cannot restrain themselves and continously create trouble for their fellow muslims.

JayB

HSC
finally, a step in one positive direction by the muslim community in combatting hatred. much applause to the LMA.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Not positive at all, these guys will still be saying the same shit at their sermons. I'd rather hear them in the media, because at least they'll be honest on what Islam is really about.

JayB

HSC
but there's the problem, they weren't being honest in the media. they were saying one thing in their sermons in arabic, and another in english to the media. its a start.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
But all the media soundbites like "[women are] uncovered meat" or "[9/11 was] God's work against oppressors" were taken from translated sermons anyway.

Their spokesman could just be a parrot trained to say 'out of context' repeatedly :D

JayB

HSC
oh definately, i dont think its conclusive, but it shows at least some sense of either disapproval, or even a feigned sense of embarrasment on the part of the community. first step, ban them from public. second step, ban them from other institution, third step, ban them from influencing young minds. its hard to begin a cultural revolution centred on peace in one go. i'm cynical, but its possible.

Optophobia

HSC
If there is any prejudice in their minds, then making them not say it in the media will not stop it from existing, it will just add to their prejudice and it will bottle up inside of them. That's assuming that there is any prejudice and not just a misunderstanding.

JayB

HSC
yeah, but they're lost cases. the prejudice that exists in their minds will always exist in their minds. but by removing it from a public forum, you stop it from spreading to the younger generations and propagating.

Optophobia

HSC
JayB said:
yeah, but they're lost cases. the prejudice that exists in their minds will always exist in their minds. but by removing it from a public forum, you stop it from spreading to the younger generations and propagating.
The theme of *propagation*.

Let's all worry because this prejudice which is endemic to Islam, is going to spread to their younger generations if we don't stop him from saying it in the media! How will we survive? *panic*

Besides, this is a media ban, not a sermon ban.

I think John Howard needs a media ban, as he spreads hate and misconception amongst the Anglo population... Which in turn creates marginalization amongst minorities (marginalization as in 'bang your head against the wall, but nothing is ever going to change..'), which causes minorities to feel cornered (even if they aren't..) which results in them saying crazy things like "we have more right to be here than anglo Australians".

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
I think John Howard needs a media ban, as he spreads hate and misconception amongst the Anglo population... Which in turn creates marginalization amongst minorities (marginalization as in 'bang your head against the wall, but nothing is ever going to change..'), which causes minorities to feel cornered (even if they aren't..) which results in them saying crazy things like "we have more right to be here than anglo Australians".
How and what does he spread? Specifics please.

Also stop making excuses for these islamic fucknuts, you have no right to blame any other memeber of the anglo or white community for the shit these people do, except yourself if you want.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
A double edged sword.

They'll still speak their radical ideas, just that we won't be able to be informed of it. The plus side i guess that the media can't exagerrate the story to get ratings i guess.

JayB

HSC
i didnt see it like that, tho i can see where you're coming from. im just hoping that if they feel that the imam's views aren't good, then they'll eventually ban them from mosques. i can't really see it happening, but its a hope

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Well...they're going to say it anyway, so i'd much rather hear about it in the news, than just leave it there inside these mosques brooding away in the dark. They need publicity so that these extreme, dangerous thoughts can be monitored by the public. Having them preach only to their diehard followers without repercussions isn't going to help anyone...

banco55

HSC
Hopefully ASIO has agents in every mosque in the country.

JayB

HSC
hopefully the ordinary moslem who goes to mosque has the same reaction that an ordinary christian or jew would have hearing their priest/rabbi/whatever preaching that women are meat, or that they should kill everyone.

banco55

HSC
JayB said:
hopefully the ordinary moslem who goes to mosque has the same reaction that an ordinary christian or jew would have hearing their priest/rabbi/whatever preaching that women are meat, or that they should kill everyone.
They don't seem to have. From what I can tell hilali's views on various subjects are by Muslim Australian standards (particuarly Arab Muslim Australian) mainstream.

JayB

HSC
which is very disturbing, and i agree with you fully, or in as much that if they aren't mainstream views, they are met with no (real) condemnation from within the communites like in other religions.

kenny156

Zoidberg Rocks!
HSC
I'm cynical about how late this ban has come. considering the comments made by al hilaly were some months ago, i think the LMA is just making a show of doing something. But you really can't stop them. look at what hilaly said when he was egypt.

Some of the blame has to go to the media, especially newspapers like the telegraph that like to sensationalise everything to a point whereby the truth gets mixed in with fiction purely to sell papers, thus making the remarks and their true interpretations somewhat hard to be heard.

Optophobia

HSC
bshoc said:
How and what does he spread? Specifics please.
False hoods and false hope.

War on terror
unnecessary anti-terrorist measures
Child over board affair
Encouraging Islamic people, via the media, to "accept australian values", what ever they are..

bshoc said:
Also stop making excuses for these islamic fucknuts, you have no right to blame any other member of the anglo or white community for the shit these people do, except yourself if you want.
If we had been as hospitable as we should have been and not ostrasized "these people", and the media and government hadn't exploited peoples xenophobia, resulting in "these people" feeling unwelcome, then he would not have a grime with Australians, then he would not say what he said.

It's people like you, who make them feel like they aren't Australian.. like they aren't normal.. like they don't belong.. And then you have the nerve to crucify them when they act or speak in a socially deviant way, when all along you have been viewing and treating them as different, through your "black and white" paradigm.
All he has done is speak his mind in a way that may not be socially acceptable (but who hasn't done that?)

Last edited:

JayB

HSC
actually, if you look at islamic immigration all over the world, they act like this everywhere, where they have been welcomed wth open arms (france, and other euro countries), where they havent, and interestingly enough, in their own countries. they have the nerve to come to adifferent country and attmept to impose their views on us. i think that is far more unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)