Flexible Entry (1 Viewer)

rubylotus11

Bachelor of Arts

Just wondering if anyone who is doing the Bachelor of Arts at Sydney has any insight into what the degree is like and if they are enjoying it. It is my first preference and I am just wondering what people's feedback is. I am interested in History, Antrhopology, Sociology, Philosophy and about a hundred other subjects. How many are you allowed to do in the first year? And do you get a grace period where they allow you to try out a subject, so to speak? Thanks to anyone that can reply.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your 'grace period' lasts for the first two weeks of a semester - after this time, you can't vary your enrolment. During those two weeks you can attend all the lectures for any subjects you might be interested in, just to see what they're like.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Your 'grace period' lasts for the first two weeks of a semester - after this time, you can't vary your enrolment. During those two weeks you can attend all the lectures for any subjects you might be interested in, just to see what they're like.
does this apply for commerce as well?

rubylotus11

Thank you for your relply's. That's great that they at least give you a chance to see what the subjects are like. So if I do four subjects in the first semester, do I have to continue with the first four subjects in the second semester or can I do four new ones. Thanks

rubylotus11

So you can do up to eight different subjects in the first year. That's great since there are so many that I want to check out. Do you decide on your second semester subjects at the beginning of the year or at the end of the first semester. Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your help.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i think there are certain dates for withdrawal, after which ur stuck with ur subjects

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by rubylotus11
Thank you for your relply's. That's great that they at least give you a chance to see what the subjects are like. So if I do four subjects in the first semester, do I have to continue with the first four subjects in the second semester or can I do four new ones. Thanks
you have to take into account that some courses have pre-req's which means you need to have done the other class (which was most likely on in semester 1)... and you also need to build up your units. what i suggest is that since you have 8 subjects in first year, you use two of those (12credit points) to base your arts major on, then the rest, you can pick any elective from any faculty you like.

rubylotus11

I have just realised that for some weird reason I named this thread Flexible Entry? I have no idea why.
Anyway I went to the open day and it sort of seems like for the first year you only take four subjects, which you do Junior Units in the first semester and Senior units of the same subject in the second semester. Anyone know if that's correct? Thanks

Generator

HSC
N/A
The BA is kind of strange.

In most cases, rubylotus11, you would be required to take junior units in both semesters of your first year (basically subj1001 in the first semester and subj1002 in the second) in order to carry on with those units in the senior years. Senior units are taken in the second and third year, unless you are taking pre-honours units which operate under a slightly different system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)