Flexible (1 Viewer)

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
Anyone know how to get more flexible? When I was at gym, they did some kinda measurement and I was like 18 while at my age, I should be 34 or something... so I'm unflexible, any way to increase you flexibility?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
man sometimes when i want to stretch, it feels like im going to snap something

HSC
N/A
jemsta said:
man sometimes when i want to stretch, it feels like im going to snap something
that's why you're supposed to warm up first, lol :p

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
glitterfairy said:
that's why you're supposed to warm up first, lol :p
ill try and keep that in mind in the future ;)
if i tear a muscle youll be responsible :p

HSC
N/A
you'll only tear something if you do something stupid, and by stupid I mean this:

a) not warming up properly (warm up for a good 5-10mins before serious stretching. Run around the block or something)

b) Pushing past 'good stretchy pain' into 'bad ouchy I'm-going-to-tear-on-you pain'. The former is good, the latter is bad - by all means try to push your limit, but don't be reckless about it!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
glitterfairy said:
you'll only tear something if you do something stupid, and by stupid I mean this:

a) not warming up properly (warm up for a good 5-10mins before serious stretching. Run around the block or something)

b) Pushing past 'good stretchy pain' into 'bad ouchy I'm-going-to-tear-on-you pain'. The former is good, the latter is bad - by all means try to push your limit, but don't be reckless about it!
You know the score.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
glitterfairy said:

haha of course i know that!
ill slowly regain my flexibility the once allowed me to suck on my toes
but thats gonna take a while :(

NinjaSauce

HSC
They key to stretching is to realise that your not actually 'stretching' the muscles. Their length is fine as it is.

Most flexability actually comes down the your mind 'freaking out', and joint mobility.

Let me give this funky explanation:

Find a bench/table/whatever at hip height. Stand side on to it. Lift one leg onto it, and straight. your technically in 'half a split'. Turn around and repeat.

If you can do that on both sides, you have no reason to not be able to do the splits. THERE ARE NO MUSCLES THAT RUN FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BODY TO THE NEXT [ignoring internal organs, which are irrelevant]. So if you can hold one leg to the right, and do the other on the left, you should be able to do them at the same time.

One of the best methods is to 'trick' your body into relaxing into a deeper position.

Get into a position which only just pushes your limits. Hold it, AND FLEX/CONTRACT your muscles. HARD. Hold for 10-30 seconds [again, think flex, not 'stretch'. This can get unformtable if held for lond time. Suck it up.], and release. After releasing, you body will invonluntarily relax [i.e: not automatic contracting which is what poor fleability is], and you should be able to drop an inch or two. Repeat. You many only make it 2-3 inches, maybe more, but dont push it.

Another method is the 'Pink panther' technique. Named after the Inspector Cluso [sp?], of the Dective series, not the animal cartoon. He would bash and bash on a door, and when it was suddenly opened, WHOOSH he would fly through [typically out a window :) ].

Basically it comes down to you holding a stretch, and having someone else [you can do it alone, depend on angle] push/pull you away from the stretch, and you fighting it by pushing/pulling against. Then without notice, they release. And as before 'Woosh' you fly through your sticking point [but hopefully not out a window].

These both work, i've used them myself.

Other obvious stretching tips:

- Do these at the end of your day, and definately never before exercise. This screws up your muscular tension, and your strength/endurance/etc work for the day will basically be wasted.

- Better to take one step back from you absolute limits, than try to push them every day.

- The best warm up is joint mobility work [and you can do this stuff before exercise too!].

There are a couple of books which are EXCELLENT in presenting this information. Buzz me in this forum post if you want them [so it doesn't count as unsolicited spaming :-D ]

HSC
N/A
Hrm I have to disagree with Ninjasauce on some points, having seen many people try to get splits, most achieving but some not. I don't have extensive

Point I agree on:
* pushing against a stretch. There's even a fancy name for it but I can't remember it off the top of my head

Everything else:
Whilst it's true that you might consider one leg up at a 90 degree angle a 'half split', fact remains that by increasing the angle between one leg and another, the stretch intensifies (just like stretching anything else - calf, neck etc). For example I can even devloppe my right leg and suspend it in the air at a 90 degree angle without too much difficulty, but I have MAJOR issues trying to get into the splits (and with some lordosis of the spine, I may never get there according to some people).

I also disagree that most flexibility comes from joint mobility. That plays a part for sure (especially when you're at contortionist level) but a lot is muscular... you can tell which part needs to stretch more (either ligament or muscle) just by noticing where most of the pain is coming from :p Granted some people have naturally more flexible muscles so they may feel that their joints are working the hardest, it may be the opposite for others (it's tight muscles for me).

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Ninja sauce, you should NEVER try to force the splits. my dance teacher pushed herself into the splits when she was young and not flexible and did some really serious damage to her lower back, she now has a permanent disability.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I tore a muscle once. It was so bad I basically couldn't move. It was good that plenty of people were around because if I did it when I was alone I would of just been stuck there until someone came to help me.

CieL

HSC
stretch your body at least once a week for 15mins... for at least two months...

I did that when I was younger.. I used to stretch my legs before my swimming lesson.. then one day when I slipped I found out I could do the splits

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)