Food Technology Help Thread (1 Viewer)

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
Post any questions or queries about Food Technology here for assistance from your peers and myself.

I achieved a 97 in the 2013 Food Technology HSC exam, and don't mind refreshing my memory to help my fellow FTers!

cutiepie

HSC
Hi, I am current stuck on an assignment that is related to the comparison of the food preservation process canning and freezing. We have to write on the reasons for preserving, causes of food spoilage, principles behind food preservation techniques and description of the preservation processes.
Any help would be gladly appreciated!

Cheers!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hi, I am current stuck on an assignment that is related to the comparison of the food preservation process canning and freezing. We have to write on the reasons for preserving, causes of food spoilage, principles behind food preservation techniques and description of the preservation processes.

Cheers!
Have you looked at the FT in Action textbook, ed 4?
A good way to lay out your information is to use tables to compare the two different methods of processing. With this assignment, what I would do is give a general overview on the principles (sort of contributes to the reasoning behind food preservation, if you think about it) and methods of preservation, as well as the causes of food spoilage. Then I would construct my information in a table which compares the two different methods, or write a report comparing the two under each heading.

i.e.
Reasons for preservation
- maintain freshness of food
(explain how canning and freezing does both, and compare the differences or similarities between the two)

I hope that helps. Are there any specifics to the assignment?

cutiepie

HSC
Thank you for your reply!
We have to apply it to a vegetable.

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad

Cheers!
Hey Cutiepie! I'm sorry for the delayed response - I was out at a camp with minimal internet access! :(

As for your assignment - do you know which food item you are doing it on yet? If you must do a vegetable, I would recommend peas. Otherwise, pears are also a pretty diverse option.

You would be a lot better off in this topic if you memorised your reasons for preservation, causes of spoilage and principles. It seems like a lot right now, although if you start memorising now you should be fine for the HSC examinations!
Here is a brief outline:

Reasons:
- Keep safe for human consumption (main)
- Avoid wastage
- Retain nutritional value of food
- Make perishable foods available year round (main)
- Achieve economic viability for producers by reducing seasonal fluctuations

Causes: 5 - MUST LEARN THESE!!!
- Physical: transportation and distribution/storage conditions; bruised fruit, freezer burn
- Chemical: chemical breakdown; rancidity in milk
- Enzymatic: ripening; softening of bananas
- Environmental: will cause physical + chemical changes; rats chewing through packaging, direct light causing colour changes
- Microbial: yeast, mould, bacteria, fungi in food or environment; mouldy cheese

Principles: 5 - MUST LEARN THESE!!!
- Water availability
- Temperature (remember to avoid the danger zone of 5-60 degrees Celsius)
- pH levels
- Oxygen levels
- Addition of chemicals

So in terms of canning (both conventional and aseptic) peas, for instance:
Principles:
- Air tight sealed container excludes air, and prevents micro-organisms from re-entering the environment
- Heating of the food and container will destroy most micro-organisms and enzymes

>involves both cooking and vacuum packing

Looking at temperature directly:
- Cans and food heated to extremely high temps to kill micro organisms
- Cooled quickly to (a) prevent overcooking (which may reduce aesthetic appeal, texture, and nutritional content); (b) ensure that the food does not hover in the danger zone

Just a quick and disorganised overview to help to job your mind. I don't have your criteria, so I'm not entirely sure as to the depth that you need to go into or analyse - but I would imagine that you would be engaged in some kind of discussion between the two principles. Feel free to shoot anymore questions our way!

obentley

HSC
Hi!
I'm stuck on my assessment task - I have to identify 3 critical control points in the manufacture of muffins

I thought perhaps the storage of dairy products but what else?

heidiv123

HSC
descride the processing techniques, equipment, storage and distribution systems used in industry and compare with those used domestically in rrelation to bread production

can you help with any points that refer to this question

Tracccylin

HSC
Hi! I am current stuck on an assignment that is about contemporary nutrition issues independent investigation, it needs to selecting a group, finding information and then writing up a report. Do you have any resources or any suggestion about the assignment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)