Food Technology Q&A Thread 2014 (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hey guys :)

So I just wanted to start a thread for people to post questions they want answered or post questions to encourage others to answer (sort of like the maths marathons) before our exam tomorrow.

I'll start off:

Evaluate the impact of media advertising on the nutritional status of Australians today.

Best of luck for tomorrow!

ppinkcrayon

HSC
- media advertising such as billboards and commercials depicting unhealthy fast foods are placed in environment of large mass appeal such as on buses, city areas and popular tv viewing times
- e.g. most fast food ads are broadcasted in children viewing times which negatively impacts on their diet
- despite organisations that are supposed to regulate appropriate advertising, many major fast food chains are able to promote their products
- media utilize techniques that alter the true nutritional value of product (misleading statistical info, visual appeal, unrealistic photo depiction)
- due to this an issue of obesity esp. with children occurs which is extremely bad as they develop unhealthy diets at a young age
- use of new emerging technology as medium such as interactive games (KFC, McDonalds games that offer free product as prize) aims to encourage and product consumption of unhealthy food
- despite some media advertisement promoting healthy foods, the reliability of the actual nutritional value is ambiguous
- social media projects/videos (e.g. youtube videos on the poor nutrition value and "disgusting" nature of Mcdonalds meals) aims to ustlize social media as an advertising tool to discourage these unhealthy foods, in turn encouraging healthy nutrition status of public

Sorry, my answer is a bit crappy ... :p basically screwed for the test but im seriously so over HSC esp when all my friends are finished and I still have 2 more to go!!
#btw, can someone give me some major advantages that media advertising promotes good nutrition status

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
#btw, can someone give me some major advantages that media advertising promotes good nutrition status
You can always discuss the promotion of healthy eating policies (e.g. National Eat Well Australia Strategy, RDI's, Healthy Eating Pyramid) and programs (e.g. Coles + Australian Dietitian Association had a program together advertising the benefits of fresh fruits and vegetables). You can also talk about using doctors and dietitians to advocate the consumption of healthy foods/diets in media - e.g. internet websites, "watch-dog" programs such as ACA. Media can also be used to highlight the negatives of poor diets (e.g. obesity, diabetes, etc.) in an attempt to encourage Australians to adopt better lifestyle and diet habits.

ppinkcrayon

HSC
omg literally had a big panic and went on a google frenzy on the policies! thankyou so much, kinda wish I joined bos earlier for help urgh

Jackyacoub

HSC
N/A
You can also mention governmental health promotion initiatives such as 'Swap it don't stop it'

Some tactics the media use;
- Colour psychology e.g. Fast food chains use red, orange and yellow to stimulate hunger
- Psychological pricing
- Omission
- Limited time sales
- Cross promotion
- Product Placement
- Eye-level placement
- Celebrity endorsement
- Unrealistic claims
- Emotional appeal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)