Foodtech exam set out! Important for all ft students (1 Viewer)

shaunzki

HSC
Hey guys, this goes out to all the foodtech students doing their hsc... with the upcoming exam i am just a bit unsure of how it will be set out. in 2009 there was 10MC, 55SA, and 35ExtendedResponse... in 2010, there was 20MC, 55SA, 25Extended response... in our trial there was 20MC, 50SA and 30 extended response.

SO which way is the exam going to be set out?

ALSO... in 2010 and past papers, one would choose the extended response replies from either nutrition of marketplace, but i have been told that the extended responses this year will be on ANY topic :/ due to everyone choosing nutrition... now can someone confirm how the paper will be set out and what the extended responses will be on? or if they will just be set responses without being able to choose like in previous years.

Thanks a lot.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Food Technology HSC examination specifications

The examination will consist of a written paper worth 100 marks.
Time allowed: 3 hours plus 5 minutes reading time.
The paper will consist of four sections.

There will be approximately equal weighting of each of the four core strands across the
examination as a whole. Questions may require students to integrate knowledge,
understanding and skills developed through studying the entire course, rather than focusing on
a particular core strand.

Section I (20 marks)
• There will be objective response questions to the value of 20 marks.

Section II (50 marks)
• There will be approximately 6 short-answer questions.
• Questions may contain parts.
• There will be approximately 14 items in total.
• At least four items will be worth from 4 to 6 marks.

Section III (15 marks)
• There will be one structured extended response question.
• The question will have two or three parts, with one part worth at least 8 marks.
• The question will have an expected length of response of around four pages of an
examination writing booklet (approximately 600 words) in total.

Section IV (15 marks)
• There will be one extended response question.
• The question will have an expected length of response of around four pages of an
examination writing booklet (approximately 600 words).

shaunzki

HSC
Food Technology HSC examination specifications

The examination will consist of a written paper worth 100 marks.
Time allowed: 3 hours plus 5 minutes reading time.
The paper will consist of four sections.

There will be approximately equal weighting of each of the four core strands across the
examination as a whole. Questions may require students to integrate knowledge,
understanding and skills developed through studying the entire course, rather than focusing on
a particular core strand.

Section I (20 marks)
• There will be objective response questions to the value of 20 marks.

Section II (50 marks)
• There will be approximately 6 short-answer questions.
• Questions may contain parts.
• There will be approximately 14 items in total.
• At least four items will be worth from 4 to 6 marks.

Section III (15 marks)
• There will be one structured extended response question.
• The question will have two or three parts, with one part worth at least 8 marks.
examination writing booklet (approximately 600 words) in total.

Section IV (15 marks)
• There will be one extended response question.
examination writing booklet (approximately 600 words).
thanks for the reply! so with the extended responses, does this mean it could be any of the core topics studied throughout rather than just nutrtion or marketplace? thanks alot.

HSC
hey, just type on google 2011 food technology specimen paper
it will give you a good idea of how it will be set out

HSC
the last extended response will either be nutrition or marketplace
the first extended response will be on any core topic

shaunzki

HSC
the last extended response will either be nutrition or marketplace
the first extended response will be on any core topic
are you sure about that? i was told that marketplace is being cut out due to the lack of people doing it... so confused haha.

cpwincess19

HSC
Hey seeing as though you guys do food tech , can someone help me with one question !?

b) Discuss how a particular local government policy or legislation has impacted on TWO differenct sectors of the food industry.
I was thinking of talking about FSANZ, what would you write for this ?

shaunzki

HSC
Hey seeing as though you guys do food tech , can someone help me with one question !?

b) Discuss how a particular local government policy or legislation has impacted on TWO differenct sectors of the food industry.
is FSANZ a local government organization? i hate questions on legislations haha... but i was thinking more FOOD ACT 2003, cause i think local legislations work with that... also, do you know if we need to know the preliminary course or just the hsc topics?

Jackson_Redshaw

HSC
In 2010 there were 2 option topics to choose from: Marketplace and Nutrition. In 2011 the syllabus changed to exclude Marketplace, thus getting rid of an option topic. Everyone now does Nutrition

shaunzki

HSC
In 2010 there were 2 option topics to choose from: Marketplace and Nutrition. In 2011 the syllabus changed to exclude Marketplace, thus getting rid of an option topic. Everyone now does Nutrition
so how what topics will the extended responses be based on with that said?

KateSinead

HSC

LOCAL governments legislation/policies include: appointing environmental health officers, local governments codes for inspection of food premises, local governments codes for contrustion of food premises.
So just have to choose 2 sectors (ie. Agriculture+fisheries & food manufacture). And explain how one of those things affect them. So inspections of food premises mean that both agriculture+fisheries and manufacturing companies have to keep their premises up to the standards specified in Food Act (NSW) because of inspections carried out by local government.

cpwincess19

HSC
is FSANZ a local government organization? i hate questions on legislations haha... but i was thinking more FOOD ACT 2003, cause i think local legislations work with that... also, do you know if we need to know the preliminary course or just the hsc topics?
omg i know right! I was about to write about FSANZ then i read the question again and it said LOCAL ... so i was like fuck ahaha

LOCAL governments legislation/policies include: appointing environmental health officers, local governments codes for inspection of food premises, local governments codes for contrustion of food premises.
So just have to choose 2 sectors (ie. Agriculture+fisheries & food manufacture). And explain how one of those things affect them. So inspections of food premises mean that both agriculture+fisheries and manufacturing companies have to keep their premises up to the standards specified in Food Act (NSW) because of inspections carried out by local government.
Yeah that's correct! :) thanks so much xx

I had another question : (4 marks)
Explain how natural disasters, for example the 2002 drought in NSW would impact on food product development.
I wrote - Ecological factors such as droughts can decrease crop quality and yield. This means that optimum quality of crop would not be reased, thus failing to meet raw material specifications. However, if raw material is still continued to be processed, the final value added product may not be of acceptable form, fit for sales and consumption. This may also lead to the rejection of an entire production run. In return, this leads to a waste of resources and a high level of pollution and toxic wastes in our environment.
Not sure if it's correct...what would you guys write ?

cpwincess19

HSC
AND also, how would you guys answer this question:
(d) Critically evaluate the use of technology on the development of new food products? (6 marks)

KateSinead

HSC
omg i know right! I was about to write about FSANZ then i read the question again and it said LOCAL ... so i was like fuck ahaha

Yeah that's correct! :) thanks so much xx

I had another question : (4 marks)
Explain how natural disasters, for example the 2002 drought in NSW would impact on food product development.
I wrote - Ecological factors such as droughts can decrease crop quality and yield. This means that optimum quality of crop would not be reased, thus failing to meet raw material specifications. However, if raw material is still continued to be processed, the final value added product may not be of acceptable form, fit for sales and consumption. This may also lead to the rejection of an entire production run. In return, this leads to a waste of resources and a high level of pollution and toxic wastes in our environment.
Not sure if it's correct...what would you guys write ?
Don't really get that question :/ do you think its refering to New product developments, like new products, or to just manufacturing products in general?
I would have put something about natural disasters wiping out heaps of our food supplies. Like with the bananas because of the hurricane. So the prices would increase all through the food industry because of low supply. So impact by making products less available and more expensive??
Lol i'm not really sure

shaunzki

HSC
Don't really get that question :/ do you think its refering to New product developments, like new products, or to just manufacturing products in general?
I would have put something about natural disasters wiping out heaps of our food supplies. Like with the bananas because of the hurricane. So the prices would increase all through the food industry because of low supply. So impact by making products less available and more expensive??
Lol i'm not really sure
Do you guys know if we need to learn the marketplace topic for shortanswers / multiple choice if we only studied nutrition?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)