Footnotes:::Help. (1 Viewer)

nathanbalam

Theif
HSC
Hey everybody,
Just wondering exactly how to do footnotes correctly. i got an assesment back for ancient and it said where i had put my attempted footnotes 'not the proper way to do footnotes, but still acceptable'.

Can anyone help? Thanx in advance.

Godspeed!:wave:

X

xeuyrawp

Um, maybe post up what you did... Are you talking about referencing, or footnotes themselves?

Here's an example of one of mine:

Number 77 is a complete (first) citation of a book, number 78 is a short citation (ie it's been cited before fully, like 77 in the essay) of a book, and 79 is a full citation of a journal article.

I won't explain it fuller because I don't know what you're going on about, so post up what you did and I'll correct you.

goosiegoo

HSC
Yeah, if you wanted to show your footnotes we can tell you where you went wrong.

In my footnotes for Ancient History i include...
- Name of author
- The name of the book
- The publisher of the book, the location of publishing and the date (if i can find them. I didn't do this for some of my footnotes and it was fine.)
- The page/s.

e.g.
1. Cotterell, Arthur (1996), The Encyclopaedia of Mythology, Annes Publishing Limited, London, p.25

I've gotten away with not including publishing houses or locations before but my teacher always prefers we include them.

Also...
If you footnote a particular source twice in a row, you don't need to write them out both times, you can just write 'Ibid.' and the page number if it is different.

E.g.
1. Cotterell, Arthur (1996), The Encyclopaedia of Mythology, Annes Publishing Limited, London, p. 25
2. Ibid. p. 27

Similarly, if you footnote something that you have already referenced on another page, you can state the author, and then use the term 'Op. cit.' and the page number (if its different)

e.g.
1. Cotterell, Arthur, Op. Cit., p. 30

This is just the method i've been taught, there are probably variations.

... I hope that helps (and i hope it makes sense...).

X

xeuyrawp

Usually you put the surname first only in the bibliography (so it's ordered by surname). Otherwise, you put the initials/first name if you want first, like I did.

nathanbalam

Theif
HSC
Oh thankz guys. heaps helpful. soz i cant find the assesment :S dont knoe where it is. does the same structure thing apply for a Website?

Thanx.

X

xeuyrawp

nathanbalam said:
Oh thankz guys. heaps helpful. soz i cant find the assesment :S dont knoe where it is. does the same structure thing apply for a Website?

Thanx.
It doesn't really matter, so long as it's logical and consistent. With the website, I think I do something like:

[author], '[page title]', [website title], , [date downloaded] So for exampl...y.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?p=2882383, downloaded 28.05.07

Sometimes people like the URL wrapped in chevrons <url here>, and sometimes people like having the date created cited. Sometimes the date created can be totally false, though - I put it in if you can - you generally right-click on the page, got down to properties, and then have a look.

Make sure you check all of this with your teacher, though, first.

bored6

HSC
nathanbalam said:

Thanx.
Lulz Balam is gay.

HSC
I remember last year in Ancient History, 2 girls in my class were exposed by my teacher for writing about a primary source called 'Ibid'. It was like 'Ibid said blah, blah...etc' LOL. :rofl:

HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
I remember last year in Ancient History, 2 girls in my class were exposed by my teacher for writing about a primary source called 'Ibid'. It was like 'Ibid said blah, blah...etc' LOL. :rofl:
haha yeah good times eh good times.

yeah bored6 you are an ass :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)