footnotes (1 Viewer)

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
is anyone using footnotes in their stories? whether it being for translation of language, to explain an 'invented' word or whether it be to acknowledge an author's words etc.

with my footnotes for some reason out of the 8 i have 2 of them continually appear on the page AFTER the actual number. whats going on there? i know this is probably a computing thing and i should go to the SDD or IPT forums but i was just wondering whether anyone else knew how i could fix this problem.....

chemicalace

in my piece, i go pretty indepth with some technical language so i thought it would be a good idea to foot note it, it doesnt break to flow of the piece and makes it look like ive actually done research. I think if your doing a short story, its not a good idea to have too many, but you may be able to win some favour. Im not sure what your problem is - if your ur using word, just go to the end of the word you want footnoted, go to insert>reference>footnote the click ok then type it in and your done.

clerisy

HSC
What about with footnotes and "allusions"? I'm pretty big on subtle allusions, and there's a lot of parallels or references to other texts and things-- like, for those doing Gwen Harwood in advanced, her implicit-yet-direct quotes from King Lear in 'Father and Child'. Now it kind of ruins the effect of a subtle elusive allusion if I have a footnote following it saying "I am making reference here to such and such", and yet I wish for my markers to be aware of my literary brilliance ;) even if not familiar/not recognising the text. So should I footnote, or maybe just discuss in the reflection statement, or maybe completely ignore?

kleptomaniac

HSC
Yeah, I asked my teacher about this, and she said not to put them in, as the marker'll get confused- it'll break the flow of the story. At the end of the story itself, acknowledge your sources, kinda like an appendix

Ava

HSC
Yup, my story is based in another country, so sometimes, when I use a 'romanised' word I footnote it.

boz-foogle

Banned
I have 1000 words in footnotes that tell an alternate story.
They're highly useful.

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
i have to have footnotes - i have to translate gaelic into english otherwise the markers will get confused

The Nick

McBain
HSC
With footnotes about allusions, endnotes are probably the way to go (footnotes at the end of the piece instead of at the bottom of the page). I have 2 footnotes, as at the start of each section I quote a philosopher. However, being that mine is a utopian text in the style of More it all makes sense :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)