For a BSocSc what should I major in to best complement a combined law degree? (1 Viewer)

ALLLICE

HSC
Urgent advice needed!!! I've been offered a place for a BSocSc degree... but (if my grades are good enough) I hope to transfer into combined Social Science/ Law next year. What major do you reckon is most relevent to a future combined law student?
The mac social science site says that the social science 'disciplines' include:
-Anthropology
-Demography
-Human Geography
-Linguistics
-Modern History
-Philosophy
-Politics
and Sociology

I thoroughly enjoyed geo and mod hist in yr 12 but i haven't a clue as to how majoring in these would help a law degree... should i just major in sociology?!...politics interests me...but i really dunno which to choose!...ahhh...somebody help me!!

X

xeuyrawp

ALLLICE said:
Urgent advice needed!!! I've been offered a place for a BSocSc degree... but (if my grades are good enough) I hope to transfer into combined Social Science/ Law next year. What major do you reckon is most relevent to a future combined law student?
The mac social science site says that the social science 'disciplines' include:
-Anthropology
-Demography
-Human Geography
-Linguistics
-Modern History
-Philosophy
-Politics
and Sociology

I thoroughly enjoyed geo and mod hist in yr 12 but i haven't a clue as to how majoring in these would help a law degree... should i just major in sociology?!...politics interests me...but i really dunno which to choose!...ahhh...somebody help me!!
Okay, well if you would like to become a lawyer, I can see all of those subjects helping you. To be honest, your Arts component is not going to give you too much direct content influence with your choice of career or uni units. It will, however, give you a major boost with generic skills like essay writing, researching, reasoning, etc.

If I had to order them, though, as 'relevant':
- Anthropology, Sociology, Philosophy, Politics, and Modern History are all about equally relevant,
- Linguistics, Human Geography, whilst relevant, have very technical areas (like phonetics),
- Demography... Yay, 5 units to chose from - 2 300 level. *farting noise*, next.

To be honest, though, I'd just chose whichever you'd prefer. You'll get much more out of subjects which you'll enjoy. In first semester, you get to chose 3 arts subjects anyway - I'd go for an ANTH subject definitely (haven't heard one bad thing about the 100 level units), a SOC subject, a PHIL subject, and either a POL subject or a HIST subject.

The 100 level HIST subjects this semester are shit (no HIST115, only that feminist, Australian, and colonial bullshit), so I'd chose a POL subject over a HIST subject.

If you don't know what you want to do, definitely try a spread of ANTH, SOC, PHIL, and POL this semester. With next semester, you do need to put some subjects in your timetable, but they can be easily changed, so don't worry about that! :)

Edit: Oh, definitely think about doing PHIL132: Philosophy, Morality and Society in first semester, it's very similar to the compulsary first semester law unit LAW114: Jurisprudence. I can definitely see those subjects complementing each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALLLICE

HSC
Thanks a lot Pwar Yuex!! ..really appreciate the advice :)

ALLLICE

HSC
Well.. I'm doing SOC 175, HIST 189, LING 109 and PHIL 132 for semester 1. I'll probably change my 2nd semester units except for POL 168 which i really want to do.

But who knows really? I mean I'll see how i go with uni this yr and if I'm still interested I'll transfer into combined law... i might even discover something else I'm really interested in *shrug*... i think it's best i keep an open mind at this stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)