For all who gets Youth Allowance (1 Viewer)

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
Hey i am planing to move out from my parents place in about 1 month, how much money do u think i can get from Youth Allowance ?

Does any one lives apart from their parents? how much do u get?

And if i work 2 days a week, how much less would i get?

kalli

HSC
jam3s said:
Hey i am planing to move out from my parents place in about 1 month, how much money do u think i can get from Youth Allowance ?

Does any one lives apart from their parents? how much do u get?

And if i work 2 days a week, how much less would i get?

hi there... you have a heap of questions so ill tell you everything i know! (PS this is based on if you are a student)

How much money can you get?
It is all based on your parents income... If your parents earn under $28 850 (combined) you get full amount. For every $4 they earn over $28 850 your payment goes down $1.
At home full amount = Under 18 $178 p/f --- Over 18 $214 p/f
Away from home full amount = $326 p/f

For your payments not to be based on your parents income you need to be classed as "independant". To be independant you need:

*have been out of school at least 18 months and earned an amount equivalent to 75 per cent of the Commonwealth Training Award Rate in an 18 month period before lodging a claim, or
*have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged), or
*have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school, or
*are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances).

You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

*are above school leaving age in your state or territory, and
*are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home, or
*are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age
have, or have had a dependent child
*are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances);
*have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities.

I live apart from my parents and i got the full amount ($326 p/f). My centrelink was cancelled because my parents own their own business and long story short, centrelink said they earned too much but in reality they didnt...

Can i work 2 days a week?

You can earn up to $236 per fortnight before your payments are reduced...
"Fortnightly income between $62 and $142 reduces fortnightly allowance by 50 cents in the dollar. Income above $142 reduces payment by 70 cents in the dollar. For students, fortnightly income between $236 and $316 reduces fortnightly allowance by 50 cents in the dollar. Income above $316 reduces payment by 70 cents in the dollar. For students the income test is subject to income bank credit. Partner income which exceeds cut-out point reduces fortnightly allowance by 70 cents in the dollar."

Ayways, go to http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/youth_allow.htm for some great info. i am waiting to hear back from centrelink as to whether living 1500km away from parents is enough to be classed as independant.

Hope that helps!

edit: also research rent assistance and health care card

Last edited:

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
HSC
N/A
hey kalli r u considered as independent if so why

ok i worked for 4 months i will be moving out from parents place in about 2 weeks, i prob move about 10 km away from parents, i will be doing full time studing, my parents ain't gonna support me such as food, phone bills ect, hmm when can i be considered independent?

kalli

HSC
jam3s said:
hey kalli r u considered as independent if so why

ok i worked for 4 months i will be moving out from parents place in about 2 weeks, i prob move about 10 km away from parents, i will be doing full time studing, my parents ain't gonna support me such as food, phone bills ect, hmm when can i be considered independent?

no im not considered independant (and never was but my parents earned shit all) but i am looking down the path of "in a defacto relationship" in order to become independant...

and you are probably not going to like what i say next... you will be part of the "hate centrelink" club... its really really hard for students to be considered independant if you go straight from high school to uni... these are ways to be independant in your situation...

-- have been out of school at least 18 months and earned an amount equivalent to 75 per cent of the Commonwealth Training Award Rate in an 18 month period before lodging a claim ($17 121 before tax in an 18 month period), or
-- have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school, or
-- have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities, or
-- are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home, or
-- have, or have had a dependent child.

Im pretty sure "out of school" means out of highschool otherwise uni students wouldnt be able to become independant during their study....

So anyways, you are looking at at least 18 months or if u have a baby, 9 months...

Or you can go down the path of parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities but ive heard DOCS can get involved and shrinks and everything...

Or you can claim its unreasonable for you to live at home... im waiting waiting waiting for centrelink to get back to me with more details on this point...

hope that helps... u can ask natstar as well coz she knows all about this kind of stuff...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
ok i don't need youth allowance cos id earn more in a two week period anyway, but Ive nearly been out of school 18 months and ive earnt about $22 000....does this mean that I could stop work now and get youth allowance?

My dad earns quite a bit of money and if there was a means test done on parents income I wouldn't have a chance, but does this independent thing mean I could get it anyway?

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
ok i don't need youth allowance cos id earn more in a two week period anyway, but Ive nearly been out of school 18 months and ive earnt about $22 000....does this mean that I could stop work now and get youth allowance?

My dad earns quite a bit of money and if there was a means test done on parents income I wouldn't have a chance, but does this independent thing mean I could get it anyway?
if ur independent, then u don;t need to a mean test
same with me, if they do a mean test for my parents then i would get nothing, so i am trying to become independent :(

kalli

HSC
Ms 12 said:

from my understanding then yes...

call centrelink youth and students line on 132490 for more info...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh oh oh.. thanks for that info....
the being classed as independant thing....

i've never gotten any youth allowance, i tried once, i spoke to the person at the counter, she didn't even give me a form. all she asked was how much money my parents earned.. then rejected my "application" then and there....

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I live away from my parents. How much you can get is determined by your parents income, if you are dependent on them. When i had to move, I couldent get a cent becuase my parents earn over the income threshold of 28k. I had to work for 18 months, to earn the 70% of the Government Award Wage- which is now about 17k, in order to be considered independent, and now i get the full amount of Youth allwance + rent assistance.
damn i have to wait for ages, i;ve only worked for 4 months

kalli

HSC
Just thought this would be of interest....

WARNING: official centrelink document (very unpersonal and cold - and not good news for most of us :mad: )

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kalli

Thank you for your email.

A Youth Allowance (YA) customer is regarded as being independent if they satisfy ONE of the following criteria.
If they are or have been married or if they satisfy the criteria to
be assessed as a member (or former member) of a YA couple
If they have or at some time, have had a natural or legally adopted
dependent child.**Youth Allowance customers (over 15 year old) may be
considered independent on the basis of having a dependent child.
A Youth Allowance customer is independent if they have supported
themselves through paid employment consisting of:
full-time employment of at least 30 hours per week for at least
18 months during the preceding 2 years; or
part-time employment for at least 15 hours per week for at
least 2 years since the person last left secondary school; or
employment within an 18 month period since the person last left
secondary school earning the customer at least 75% of the
Commonwealth Training Award payments for the calendar year in
which the 18 months started.
There is also a safety net provision for young people who have
an education or employment disadvantage.**These customers may
be assessed as independent if they have had full-time
employment of at least 30 hours per week for at least 12 months
or for periods that total 12 months and they are at least 18
years old and are not living with or being supported by their
parents.
Once the criteria of self-supporting through paid employment
has been proven there is no need to review it, or to prove it
again if the customer reclaims YA at a later date, unless they
return to secondary school in the interim period.
If both their natural or legally adopted parents are deceased.**This
applies even if the young person is being supported by somebody
else.**Customers who are independent because they are orphans may be
paid from 15 years.
If they are a refugee and do not have a parent or parents living in
Australia, or a person on whom they are substantially dependent for a
long time.**For example, many children who enter the country as
refugees will actually be living with relatives.**Where these
relatives have taken on a 'parental role' over a long period of time,
the customer would not be considered independent under this
criterion.
If they are in State care and are NOT living with their parents.**For
the purposes of determining independence, a "parent" is defined as a
natural parent of the young person or a person who has legally
adopted the young person.**A young person in State care is regarded
as independent regardless of whether they have a foster parent or
legal guardian
If their parents (or parent, if the person has only one parent) are
unable to exercise parental responsibilities because they are
missing, mentally incapacitated, serving a prison sentence, or living
in a nursing home for an indefinite period.**These customers may be
paid an independent rate of assistance from 15 years.
If it is unreasonable for them to live at the home of either or both
parents because of extreme family break down, or similar exceptional
circumstances, or because living at home would cause a serious risk
to the customer's mental or physical well-being due to violence,
sexual abuse or other similar unreasonable circumstances.**A customer
may also be assessed as independent under this criterion if their
parents are unable to provide them with a suitable home because of
their own lack of stable accommodation.

If we can be of further help you may phone our Youth and Student Services team on 13 2490 or you may send another email with a phone number on which we can contact you during business hours.

Thank you for using Centrelink's internet services.

Regards

Christine P

Centrelink Internet Services

baby706

im about to start work as a 1st yr apprentice (which is only around $200 a week) and want to move out of home with a friend to be closer to work. i live with my mum but she earns over $28000 or whatever it is and there is no way i can live with my dad. is there anyway i can claim money from centerlink? i finished school last year

thanks

Scanorama

HSC
kalli said:
hi there... you have a heap of questions so ill tell you everything i know! (PS this is based on if you are a student)

How much money can you get?
It is all based on your parents income... If your parents earn under $28 850 (combined) you get full amount. For every $4 they earn over $28 850 your payment goes down $1.
At home full amount = Under 18 $178 p/f --- Over 18 $214 p/f
Away from home full amount = $326 p/f
Combined income of $28850, thats per year right?

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Ok so my question is very weird .... My mum has a Brain tumor and she was in hospital for agers and my brother and I had to move out of the house because her stupid husband told us that he didn't want to babysit us while our mum was away so we had to both move out so I moved closer to The hospital and to my school and I my brother now lives with my aunt. My mum gets sickness benefits from the centrelink and I recieve the maximum payment for youth allowance which is like $178 or something ..... But because my mum is unfit to support me and I HAVE to live independently am I entitled to the $326 a fortnight? I have to pay rent and I do not have a full time job because I am studying full time. Do I have a good enough case to be considered a child who's parents cannot exercise their responsibilities?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)