For anyone who accelerated and this is there 2nd time doing Ext 1... (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
For any of you guys out there who accelerated and '04 was your 2nd attempt at the Ext 1 exam, do you think you did considerably better this year than last year? How did your mark from last year compare with what you estimate you'll get this year?

Leasha23

WELL Im not an accelerated student but I repeated year 12, I wanted 98 for the Uni course I wanted, and only got 91.5, so back I went again to school...

But this was my second attempt so I decided to reply...
Hopefully this mark will be somewhat better than my last (which was 38, VERY low compared to my class standards from last year, hence encouraging me to repeat year 12, especially my maths courses...), but I am certainly relying on the fact that it will be aligned well because DAYUM that was tough!

Ive been averaging 45-46/50 all year and I could barely get through questions 6 and 7... even our class maths genius said he struggled with question 7... lets hope its a good sign for everyone else who found it tough!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Leasha23 said:
WELL Im not an accelerated student but I repeated year 12, I wanted 98 for the Uni course I wanted, and only got 91.5, so back I went again to school...

But this was my second attempt so I decided to reply...
Hopefully this mark will be somewhat better than my last (which was 38, VERY low compared to my class standards from last year, hence encouraging me to repeat year 12, especially my maths courses...), but I am certainly relying on the fact that it will be aligned well because DAYUM that was tough!

Ive been averaging 45-46/50 all year and I could barely get through questions 6 and 7... even our class maths genius said he struggled with question 7... lets hope its a good sign for everyone else who found it tough!
Good luck :)
I'm sure you'll get into the uni course you want, but a UAI of 91.5 would get you into a lot of uni courses anyway - I'm sure you would had to have thought hard about re-doing the HSC especially seeing as 90% of the state would be overjoyed with 91.5...

gabn

HSC
lol oh she is prepared to do it a 3rd time, hmm i really must remeber to ring that sucide hot line for you leasha come the 18 20th or whatever in december.

yeah our residant never drop bellow 98% in a internal assesment looked worried at the end.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Hm this is my time doing it again, and there was a big difference from when i did it last year. I feel alot more confident that i will do alot better this year. Last year, i thought i did fairly well. I ended up getting 83 overall. My school assesment mark dragged me down alot, because i was at a not-so-good school. I've moved schools and now, although my rank is worse, i know that i'm going to do better. I walked out of that exam today leaving 8 marks out, last year, probably about 20 or more marks. I think i'll get around the 90 mark. My teacher and i have discussed it and there's a good chance that i will get over 90, by the looks of my assesment mark. I am happy to say that it was worth repeating again-mind you, this is in my circumstance, it might be better off for you to keep your mark but i dont think you should be worrying about that at this stage. Repeating should only be left as the option. Stay positive. I'm sure you'll do better than you think, i certainly did :)

idontgetit

HSC
Leasha23 said:
With a UAI that high, couldn't you just change courses in uni? That's what I'm planning to do, I've given up on getting straight into the course I want

chriscity1

I did English Ext1, English adv, and legal studies in year 10....But I guess that doesn't count right?

Leasha23

Thanks for the comments guys! I dont know if Ill make the 98 this year, I can hope so, but even if i dont then by repeating, the accessability of the course I wanted has become greater in the 2003-4 period so hopefully Ill make it! Yeah it was a bloody tough decision to go back... 91.5 isnt anything to complain about at all... but I ended up doing it anyway - just dont ask me whether I regretted doing it or not! :p

gabn, lol thanks for the offer about the suicide hotline but im sure ill be fine... maybe you'll be needing it when you get your 4unit mark back hehe... actually id be more worried about our maths genius, he seemed a bit stressed after this exam, perhaps you should focus more on him!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
kimmeh said:
Hm this is my time doing it again, and there was a big difference from when i did it last year. I feel alot more confident that i will do alot better this year. Last year, i thought i did fairly well. I ended up getting 83 overall. My school assesment mark dragged me down alot, because i was at a not-so-good school. I've moved schools and now, although my rank is worse, i know that i'm going to do better. I walked out of that exam today leaving 8 marks out, last year, probably about 20 or more marks. I think i'll get around the 90 mark. My teacher and i have discussed it and there's a good chance that i will get over 90, by the looks of my assesment mark. I am happy to say that it was worth repeating again-mind you, this is in my circumstance, it might be better off for you to keep your mark but i dont think you should be worrying about that at this stage. Repeating should only be left as the option. Stay positive. I'm sure you'll do better than you think, i certainly did :)
Wouldn't you have been better off at a not-so-good school and wasting everybody, then getting 75/84 in the exam. You'd be guaranteed a Band 6, probably a 97 aligned.
As for my situation, I'm lucky that two intelligent guys in Year 12 dropped Ext 1 because they had done it last year and got 48 and 49, and decided not to repeat in the end....I was about 10 marks behind one of them for school assessments, so I think I'm better off. This year, I'm estimating a 70-71/84 but I made some silly mistakes so I'm kind of disappointed coz I could've got ~76/84. But now I'm relying on the aligning to push me into the 95+ range (<92 and I repeat).

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
wat ppl mean by doing HSC again? like just doing one course or wat? repeat the whole yr 11and 12???? faint~~ (another 2 years???)
so then u get a new UAI???

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Last year I got 90% and this year i'll probably be getting somewhere between 94-97. So it isnt a significant improvement but its well worth the repeat in my opinion.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
wat ppl mean by doing HSC again? like just doing one course or wat? repeat the whole yr 11and 12???? faint~~ (another 2 years???)
so then u get a new UAI???
In my case, I can choose to repeat only 2U, only Ext 1 or repeat both. I'd only be repeating one course, not the entire HSC year. I did it a year ahead, with a few other guys so we have that option.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
In my case, I can choose to repeat only 2U, only Ext 1 or repeat both. I'd only be repeating one course, not the entire HSC year. I did it a year ahead, with a few other guys so we have that option.
so wat year ya suppose to be in???
all i knew tat one guy in my school is repeating coz he missed out school (sickness thino)~~

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Wouldn't you have been better off at a not-so-good school and wasting everybody, then getting 75/84 in the exam. You'd be guaranteed a Band 6, probably a 97 aligned.
As for my situation, I'm lucky that two intelligent guys in Year 12 dropped Ext 1 because they had done it last year and got 48 and 49, and decided not to repeat in the end....I was about 10 marks behind one of them for school assessments, so I think I'm better off. This year, I'm estimating a 70-71/84 but I made some silly mistakes so I'm kind of disappointed coz I could've got ~76/84. But now I'm relying on the aligning to push me into the 95+ range (<92 and I repeat).
You're not "guarunteed" a band 6 for anything, even if you do come first. 95 in 3unit maths is alot to ask for, i can tell you that. Its not impossible, but it need to be acheived. I beleive a mark of 92 is very good. I was only aiming for 85 the first time i did it, and fell short of it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I only accelerated 2u, but I'll comment anyway:p

My 3u marks this year are a 12% better than my 2u marks last year, so the improvement has been huge if you consider what those 2u marks would be equivalent to in 3u.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
so wat year ya suppose to be in???
all i knew tat one guy in my school is repeating coz he missed out school (sickness thino)~~
I'm in Year 11, but actually Year 12 now since I've just started Year 12 work.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
I only accelerated 2u, but I'll comment anyway:p

My 3u marks this year are a 12% better than my 2u marks last year, so the improvement has been huge if you consider what those 2u marks would be equivalent to in 3u.
Hhhmmm.
Doing well in 2U doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well in Ext 1 though so they're difficult to compare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)