For Gods Sake Hepl Me! (1 Viewer)

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
HI
yr 12 student here whos really worried about there results and hence getting into actuarial studies and so i need the advice of everyone for a couple of questions:

1) assuming i dont get actuarial studies, can i study commerce at like ANY uni then like transfer to say UNSW or MAQ for actuarial studies?

2) assuming i dont get in to commerce, can i go to economics then actuarial or do i hav to go: economics-->commerce-->actuarial

3) assuming i dont get into economics (doubt that) can i study like say enginerring or math related course ( plz provide me with course) then transfer into actuarial studies ???

4) i heard that which unis like UNSW or MAC have like a VERY tranferable program, i.e u can transfer quite easily and u can study related or non related (not sure) course then transfer , is this true ??

5) assuming that i study a actuarial related course, how soon can i transfer if i GPA is sufficient? a semister, 1 year ???

6) iam willing to travel all the way to canberra for actuarial studies, is the national uni good for this course?? give me advice plz

THATs ALL FOLKS!

answers/advice will be greatly appreciated!!

CloudStrife

HSC
1) its easier to do internal transfer than external transfer
2) at Macquarie u need a Credit average to transfer to actuarial studies, and i think u can just transfer from any course
5) i think its 1 year at macq?

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
thanx for reply buddy!

btw r u 100% sure that u can transfer from any course maintaing a credit average ?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
at mq u need to satisfy the criteria of:

BCom – Actuarial Studies
• at least 18 credit points with an overall gpa of 3.0 and completion of MATH132 (Cr) or MATH133 (Cr) or MATH134 (Cr) or MATH136 (Cr)

and then you'll be ok...a good degree to transfer from would be appfin...

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
hey thanx supra for ur reply. however i need your advice on some questions so may u plz answer them:

1) i got decent results in my maths tests 2u/3u with mid-high 90s range which of the 4 maths courses is recomended for me

2) apart from appfin can i do commerce at MAc then transfer ?

3) im not really informed on uni stuff so could you plz tell me what are credit points? and that gpa thingy is like ur average mark of the total assesments in one year ?

btw do you have to complete one year before transfering or can you do it in a less amount of time ?

look forword to hearing from you!
thanx alot man!

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
dawma88 said:
hey thanx supra for ur reply. however i need your advice on some questions so may u plz answer them:

1) i got decent results in my maths tests 2u/3u with mid-high 90s range which of the 4 maths courses is recomended for me

2) apart from appfin can i do commerce at MAc then transfer ?

3) im not really informed on uni stuff so could you plz tell me what are credit points? and that gpa thingy is like ur average mark of the total assesments in one year ?

btw do you have to complete one year before transfering or can you do it in a less amount of time ?

look forword to hearing from you!
thanx alot man!
ok so you'll be doing 4u maths I presume? It'll be great for your uai and can come in handy...

Hmm i think you could do commerce, just try and do as many of hte subjects as the actuaries do...so you wont be too behind...just check the mq online handbook and teh acst homepage to compare the degree outlines...The major thing is to do Math133 (but the new actuarial program needs maths 132 so I dont know if you'll do that in your first year or not)...but if your not doing 4u maths in high school, I think you do 135 and 136 or something like that...not too sure

Credit points and gpa...you'll understand everything once you come to uni anyway...each subject you do is worth a certain number of credit points (its usually 3, but for some subjects they may be worth 4) and you need a certain number of credit points at 100,200,300,400 level to graduate (depends on the degree)

GPA is your grade point average. It doesnt use the assessments in the year...it uses the FINAL mark you get in that course (so taht is the assessments and the final exam)...so say at the end of the semester, you get D, Cr, Cr and P

to work out your gpa, you need to know the following:

Hd = 4
D = 4
Cr = 3
P = 2
PC = 1
F = 0

so your gpa for that semester (assuming taht all the units you took were all worth equal credit points) would be (4+3+3+2)/4 = 3

Don't worry too much about this stuff atm...

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
k thanx

btw isnt there like an information day in january @ MAc whhere i can give them all the questions ?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
dawma88 said:
k thanx

btw isnt there like an information day in january @ MAc whhere i can give them all the questions ?
yes htere will be an information day sometime between january and march (im sorry ive forgotten when it was exactly :p). If you went to the open day its basically the same thing...and i think Sheperd even cracks the same jokes :p

CrashOveride

HSC
Supra said:
and i think Sheperd even cracks the same jokes :p
He'll say 'if you wanted something non-challening, do med or law. Otherwise, do actuarial.'

I don't think he has done either of the former.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
and also the joke i heard him say twice

"my neighbour asked me what i do.. i said i was an actuary.. he said.. so u work with chickens aye?? (hatchery)" XD

funny guy tho =D

if ur really serious about actuarial... then choose macq... do something like commerce and try transfer in... =] its pretty easy to get into actuarial from internal transfer o_O graduating is another story lol

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Hey which major consultancy firms offer Actuarial vacation work? (Besides Big 4)

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
last question ! - bear with me

ok say if i did commerce then transfer...do i start the actuarial studies program from year 1 or do i commence with others in y2 2 ????

im LOST

thanx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)