for people without tutoring (2 Viewers)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Tutoring forces you to do the work;that's why people imporve wen they go tutoring. However, a person who is willing to study by themselves will do better than an unmotivated student that goes tutoring.

slowjam10

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Tutoring forces you to do the work;that's why people imporve wen they go tutoring. However, a person who is willing to study by themselves will do better than an unmotivated student that goes tutoring.
Thats spot on Vuongsterboi:):)

Danger

HSC
i heard if you want to suceed in 4u maths, u have to have a tutor..

HSC
Danger said:
i heard if you want to suceed in 4u maths, u have to have a tutor..
depends on who you are. i mean if youre smart enough youre smart enough and you can do without it but if you need it you need it really. simple. try working by yourself for a while, you will figure out if you need one or not.

Danger

HSC
is it possible to learn how to do 4u by yourself by using textbooks only?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Um, don't do tutoring, k. If you're not struggling with the subject it is just a waste of time, money and resources.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Ask SS! He's doing 4U Maths without tutoring.

Apart from all these hypothetical situations, there are students who are highly motivated and still do tuition.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No, even though I'm asian, I'm self-motivated and I do tuition. The motivation isn't all solely from my parents.

Danger

HSC
are you doing 1on1 or coaching centres? and how are you finding it?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Coaching. I'm finding that it meshes perfectly with my school. I'm doing work on one hand, and then I'm re-inforcing it and accelerating in other areas during tuition.

But I'm dropping Chemsitry tuition next term. I'm getting too tired recently, so I need a break.

Danger

HSC
i do coaching aswell but i dont think i am coping with it very well and im consdering dropping it for next year. most of the stuff i learn from it are the stuff i havent learned from school yet (maybe my school is just slow), which makes it very diffcult and unmotivating... especially maths at the moment

like, the coaching centre covers a new topic in 2 weeks, and my school covers it in 4-5 weeks? its very frustrating

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah sometimes they can go very fast and sometimes we're going so slow. It's up to you really. If you're struggling and finding it really boring, might as well drop it to save money and time. You can then really focus on school and all the other areas.

Danger

HSC
yup i find it very boring and time consuming but i did learn a lot from it

Jachie

HSC
Kujah said:
No, even though I'm asian, I'm self-motivated and I do tuition. The motivation isn't all solely from my parents.
But if you're self-motivated, why do tuition? You're obviously smart enough and dedicated enough to your studies to still do well without it. Do you really think whatever benefit you may or may not gain from tutoring/coaching is worth all of the time and money you waste on it?

Honest question. Lord knows I have trouble understanding this sometimes.

laula2020

HSC
:confused: I have studied very hard and am at the top of 2 of my classes, which i am very proud of, however - no matter how hard i try i cannot get my english marks much above the average - which is incredibly frustrating!

so although tutoring costs money (which parentals said they'd pay since i work hard) sometimes its worth it if it can help you achieve what you cannot on your own.
to fail without trying is one thing, to TRY and fail is another entirely....

on that note - does any one have the name of a good tutoring/coaching college???:confused: PLEASE
I need one bad - my idiocy is showing

fiona.p

HSC
I dont go to tutoring...use to but quit cos i figured it wasnt really helping me. Im still getting the same marks as before when i did tutor so i think you dont necessarily need a tutor to do well at school. Just study hard and try your best =]

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
But if you're self-motivated, why do tuition? You're obviously smart enough and dedicated enough to your studies to still do well without it. Do you really think whatever benefit you may or may not gain from tutoring/coaching is worth all of the time and money you waste on it?
Don't know really. I've been in tuition so long that I've never though about it. I guess it does give me some sort of an advantage, whether it is in terms of content or other things.

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to what an individual thinks about the influence of tuition. Whether it is good or a waste of time, its up to you. It does have its flaws, but it also has some positive aspects.

Personally, I do believe it's benefited me and worth all the time and money that I've "wasted" on. It's helped in times especially when my school's lagging behind in teaching concepts, as in Maths or in Biology.

Jachie

HSC
Kujah said:
Don't know really. I've been in tuition so long that I've never though about it. I guess it does give me some sort of an advantage, whether it is in terms of content or other things.

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to what an individual thinks about the influence of tuition. Whether it is good or a waste of time, its up to you. It does have its flaws, but it also has some positive aspects.

Personally, I do believe it's benefited me and worth all the time and money that I've "wasted" on. It's helped in times especially when my school's lagging behind in teaching concepts, as in Maths or in Biology.
Fair enough. You know, I do believe tutoring is a waste of money if a student is not struggling with a subject and is capable of achieving excellent results without having to fork out $??? a week, and I am not going to apologize for this view. I mean, sure, it can give you an upper-hand momentarily, but your classmates are going to learn the content eventually anyway. Again, if you're not struggling with a subject then having this foreknowledge shouldn't really give you any sort of advantage in the long-run, though you may think it does at the time when you're briefly ahead of your peers.

However, I do accept that everyone is different and can take different things from it, and if it works for them then I guess it works for them. It's just my personal view that the tutoring most people receive is unnecessary, and when I look at the people I go to school with, and my friends from other schools, I stand by that. 100 percent.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Jachie said:
Fair enough. You know, I do believe tutoring is a waste of money if a student is not struggling with a subject and is capable of achieving excellent results without having to fork out $??? a week, and I am not going to apologize for this view. I mean, sure, it can give you an upper-hand momentarily, but your classmates are going to learn the content eventually anyway. Again, if you're not struggling with a subject then having this foreknowledge shouldn't really give you any sort of advantage in the long-run, though you may think it does at the time when you're briefly ahead of your peers.

However, I do accept that everyone is different and can take different things from it, and if it works for them then I guess it works for them. It's just my personal view that the tutoring most people receive is unnecessary, and when I look at the people I go to school with, and my friends from other schools, I stand by that. 100 percent.
And what if you ARE behind, not neccesarily because you are struggling with the subject, but rather that your classes are either full of idiots, or have teachers who can't teach?

It is true that one way or another the content will be learnt, but for cases such as this, tutoring benefits in the sense that it puts you one step ahead, allowing you to perfect any flaws that you may have.

Its normally the smart kids who take tutoring, the reason being that they want to fix their weaknesses.

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
And what if you ARE behind, not neccesarily because you are struggling with the subject, but rather that your classes are either full of idiots, or have teachers who can't teach?
That is a whole different ball game, one I have acknowledged previously but am not referring to now. Irrelevant to my point.

It is true that one way or another the content will be learnt, but for cases such as this, tutoring benefits in the sense that it puts you one step ahead, allowing you to perfect any flaws that you may have.
That you need to pay hundreds of dollars for tutoring in order to perfect any flaws you may have is bullshit, I'm sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)