For someone doing the 5.2 course should i be doing 2U Mathematics next year?? (1 Viewer)

nawiyah

HSC
N/A
Lol maths head teacher came into everyone's classroom during maths the other day

nawiyah

HSC
N/A
(Cont...) And he told us that ext1 and ext2 maths is something we most definitely can't choose (bc we aren't 5.3) so its either general or 2u but he suggested everyone do gen.... I'm not finding the work this is very hard and I've been doing quite well..what do you suggest? All opinions wanted :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
One of my friends who continually topped 5.2 went to 2 unit and has maintained a top 10 rank /50 against the majority who did 5.3, so its definitely possible.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Ask if you can be put into 5.3 next semester, just so you're not so far behind. There is a fair bit of extra content in 5.3, half way through year 11 some of my friends who did 5.2 are still asking me for help with some of the basic content that they weren't taught (I did 5.3 but dropped math).

Peeik

HSC
In some schools they stream their years such that there is 1 5.1 class, 2 5.2 classes and 2 5.3 classes or something similar. If you are in the top 5.2 class then I recommend doing 2U mathematics next year. If you are in the bottom stream for 5.2, then it is RECOMMENDED that you do general mathematics. In saying that I would always try 2U mathematics since you can leave to general mid year in year 11.

Generally for students to do extension 1 (and extension 2 in year 12) you need to be in the 5.3 stream and doing well in it.

I also want you to draw your attention to page 8 of the syllabus by clicking this link: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/pdf_doc/mathematics_710_syllabus.pdf

It shows you the pathways for the level of maths that you are currently doing. It only acts as a guide.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
A 5.2 person can potentially do 2 unit, although they will need to catch up on 5.3 content because it is assumed knowledge in 2 unit. Most people get streamed into Year 9/10 maths classes based on their performance in Year 7 and 8. So often times a few people who are in 5.2 have the potential to do a higher level of maths or have improved significantly over Years 9 and 10. However, I would only consider 2 unit if you are doing very well in 5.2. If you are an average 5.2 student or if you are struggling, then 2 unit is probably not for you because it is a big jump between the maths levels.

In terms of a 5.2 student doing MX1, then I would still say it is possible for the same reasons, although very few students in 5.2 would have the potential and many would fall into the category where they need to work extremely hard to succeed at that level.

R4diance

HSC
Jumping from 5.2 to 5.3 is very possible (I have done this over the course of a year) and I have just topped my 5.3 class.
Just remember to put in the work for next year :)

nawiyah

HSC
N/A
Thanks so much guys :)
Will definitely keep this all in mind!

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
+1 definitely agree with this. People put you in the class they think which is your maximum potential. Prove them wrong.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
In my school all of the people who were in 5.2 ( probs around 7-10 people) and went to 2unit maths have dropped except for my friend...the teachers call her the " stubborn child". They really wanted everyone to drop.

R4diance

HSC
+1 definitely agree with this. People put you in the class they think which is your maximum potential. Prove them wrong.
Yeah. This. I was put into the 5.2 curriculum, ended up getting 100% for all my assessments, got moved up to 5.3 then topped my class again.
Put in the work, and you'll see the results soon enough :)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
One of my friend's was put in the lower 5.2 class and now his doing alright in ext 1 maths. You just need to study more then others to catch up, grasping the content itself is more then doable.

hamsterjames

HSC
I say you should at least give it a shot. I was in 5.2 and now I'm topping 4U. Just depends how hard you're willing to work, really.

nawiyah

HSC
N/A
Yep! Really willing to work hard :)
Thanks for that hahaha you gmh

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
i've heard tons of people who didn't do so well in year 7-10 but they just made the cut for ext 1 maths. You can do it op ! Just keep begging to study 3 unit and you'll make it :)

thought-process

HSC
I'm not so sure on this one. I do take the 5.3 curriculum and I'm also doing 2U maths next year, I wouldn't say it's that big of a difference?

jazzawhat

HSC
My maths teacher who is just out of high school said the content in 5.3 is similar to 2 unit maths. Based on this, if you want to challenge yourself with a higher level of maths and are currently in 5.2, try 2 unit out for a few weeks and see if it is too much of a jump or not. You can always drop back down again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)