For the Kirby <3ers :) (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I was reading the local paper "The Inner West Weekly" and there is an article on Justice Kirby and I immediately thought of you guys. Its basically about him returning to his old primary school Strathfield North Public School

Here it is if you want to read it :)

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
what would be even more fascinating would be for us to read it :p

Edit: thanks mel :)

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
This should be a Kirby-love post.

Whilst not by Kirby, it's a little footnote in history (God Under Howard//Marilyn Maddox):

Marilyn Maddox said:
Howard's parliamentary secretary to the cabinet, Senator Bill Heffernan (famed homophobe of 'Say No to Sodomy' fame) walked into a near-empty Senate late on 12 March. He accused openly gay High Court judge Michael Kirby of using a commonwealth car to trawl for 'rent boys' in Sydney's Darlinghurst.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
If only the kids knew how insanely hard it would be to get to his position nowadays.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
011 said:
If only the kids knew how insanely hard it would be to get to his position nowadays.
Yeah, I know. Do they still even have rent boys at Darlinghurst?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ah so that other Kirby in the Supreme Court IS related! lol

haha, imagine quashing your brother's decisions

X

xeuyrawp

Gavrillo said:
This should be a Kirby-love post.

Whilst not by Kirby, it's a little footnote in history (God Under Howard//Marilyn Maddox):
God, why does everyone have to mention him being gay everytime his name is mentioned.

He has done so many worthy things of discussion, yet everyone feels they have to reduce him further than a public figure, further than a man, further than a personality, but to his sexuality.

I'm sure the kids were all far less excited ('what's the high court...?') than the teachers!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Because he's gay? Why do people always have to mention that Gaudron was a woman? (Then again, I guess her decisions weren't anything spectacular). I don't think it's really his sexuality that people like it's just his tokenism.

People like to reduce people to simple tokens so it's easier to talk about things.

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
Because he's gay? Why do people always have to mention that Gaudron was a woman? (Then again, I guess her decisions weren't anything spectacular).
I see your point, that Gaudron was the only woman Justice and labelled 'the woman', whereas Kirby has been the only out-gay Justice.

I'm just saying that, with the huge amount of humanitarian stuff he's done, Kirby deserves more respect than just being labelled. This week, I heard a report about one of his rulings, which the reporter said "Openly homosexual High Court Justice, Michael Kirby..." when the report had nothing to do with him being gay.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I see your point, that Gaudron was the only woman Justice and labelled 'the woman', whereas Kirby has been the only out-gay Justice.

I'm just saying that, with the huge amount of humanitarian stuff he's done, Kirby deserves more respect than just being labelled. This week, I heard a report about one of his rulings, which the reporter said "Openly homosexual High Court Justice, Michael Kirby..." when the report had nothing to do with him being gay.
Stupid Jounalism...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I was reading that article today at work (someone had left the newspaper there)...did anyone else notice they refer to him as "Mr Justice Kirby'....as if Justice was his first name? Its like saying 'Mr Doctor Smith'.....great editing job!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
I was reading that article today at work (someone had left the newspaper there)...did anyone else notice they refer to him as "Mr Justice Kirby'....as if Justice was his first name? Its like saying 'Mr Doctor Smith'.....great editing job!
Well he is a judge. They are esteemed members of the community with years of experience, learning and service behind them. In certain contexts (including news reports I would fervently add), it is disrespectful to refer to them just as their last name.

If in court it is even more formal, you say "His honour Justice Kirby." That's the way you refer to them. When speaking to them outside court, you call them "judge".

Though it might be pedantic for a classroom environment, personally I never say "Kirby" in class, always "Justice Kirby". I was judging a moot a week ago where the little cherubs were calling judges by their last names willy-nilly like they were their older brother or something!

heidi_kak

HSC
but i think ms 12 was pointing out the redundancy of the term "mr" in "mr jusitce kirby" (ie. why not just "Justice kirby").

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Do you correct them if they use

'Abigail versus Lapin'

rather than

'Abigail and Lapin'

?
Ugh, I keep doing that to myself lately. I'm desperately trying to get myself into the habit of saying 'and', hopefully before second year starts.

Edit: For the record though, I only ever say 'vee'. Have never said 'versus' thankfully.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Well he is a judge. They are esteemed members of the community with years of experience, learning and service behind them. In certain contexts (including news reports I would fervently add), it is disrespectful to refer to them just as their last name.
Yes, you totally missed my point. Justice Kirby would have been fine. the 'Mr' in front of it was inappropriate cos its two titles.

Im a law student, I understand courtroom etiquette and formality thanks.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I was judging a moot a week ago where the little cherubs were calling judges by their last names willy-nilly like they were their older brother or something!
I have seen worse court ettiquette in real court, where a barrister told the judge to "hold on, hold on!"...I got blasted for not saying "with respect your honour" and this guy tells him to "hold on" :rolleyes:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
saying 'vee' is perhaps worse :\

DON'T SAY IT. Moot judges and other will think you are an idiot (or so i was told in first year)
If you don't say veeee and you don't say versus what do you say???
I know you dont say R its crown :uhhuh:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
Yes, you totally missed my point. Justice Kirby would have been fine. the 'Mr' in front of it was inappropriate cos its two titles.

Im a law student, I understand courtroom etiquette and formality thanks.
Actually it is appropriate to use "Mr".

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
you don't say v....in my mooting guide it says you say 'and' if its a civil case or 'against' if its a criminal case

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)