HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Do you correct them if they use

'Abigail versus Lapin'

rather than

'Abigail and Lapin'

?
Hell yes, but what bothers me more is if they read Mason J as "Mason JAY" !

melsc said:
If you don't say veeee and you don't say versus what do you say???
I know you dont say R its crown :uhhuh:
99% of the time:
  • If it is a civil case, you read the "v" as "and". For example: Jones v Bartlett is said as "Jones and Bartlett."
  • If it is a criminal case, the "v" is read as "against." For example: R v Moonlight is stated as "The Crown against Moonlight".

In America they say "versus" or "vee" -- you're probably used to Jack McCoy :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Hell yes, but what bothers me more is if they read Mason J as "Mason JAY" !
Ohhh I hate that, people do it in my legal class...especially with a ratio with multiple justices e.g Mason, Gaudron JJ

MoonlightSonata said:
In America they say "versus" or "vee" -- you're probably used to Jack McCoy :)
Yes my teacher said the same thing when I asked if I could walk around during my closing, and when I called a witness to the "stand" :rolleyes:

Angel45

HSC
hfis said:
Edit: For the record though, I only ever say 'vee'. Have never said 'versus' thankfully.

LOL - It's so bad I feel like I'm making a confession.. hehe.. but when I read case names in my head I always say "vee" - I should get out of the habit or I'll end up saying it out loud!

BillytheFIsh

HSC
"Mr Justice X" is a bit of a throwback.

Gradually, as more females become members of the bench "Mr Justice" or "Madam Justice" is being fazed out and new appointments and the more progressive of the bench are simply referred to as "Justice X" or in full, "The Hon. Justice X."

Makes for a pain in the arse when you're constantly referring to Qld SC decisions and you have to try and keep in mind this mixed bag:

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/about/judges.htm

Seems to have shifted in Qld about 1998. And Qld is about 25 years behind the rest of the country so perhaps earlier in your state.

Also, IIRC, all members agreed to scrap the "Mr" when Gaudron J was appointed, so you won't (shoudln't) see it used for HC Judges anymore.

Not that anyone is going to pick you up on it as long as you get the gender right. A guy I know recalls getting absolutely crucified by a Tassie SC judge after referring to a decision of one of his female counterparts as "His Honour" at the 1999 ALSA conference. Needless to say he lost that moot.

X

xeuyrawp

Welcome back, bearpooh.

BillytheFIsh said:
"Mr Justice X" is a bit of a throwback.

Gradually, as more females become members of the bench "Mr Justice" or "Madam Justice" is being fazed out and new appointments and the more progressive of the bench are simply referred to as "Justice X" or in full, "The Hon. Justice X."

Makes for a pain in the arse when you're constantly referring to Qld SC decisions and you have to try and keep in mind this mixed bag:

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/about/judges.htm

Seems to have shifted in Qld about 1998. And Qld is about 25 years behind the rest of the country so perhaps earlier in your state.

Also, IIRC, all members agreed to scrap the "Mr" when Gaudron J was appointed, so you won't (shoudln't) see it used for HC Judges anymore.

Not that anyone is going to pick you up on it as long as you get the gender right. A guy I know recalls getting absolutely crucified by a Tassie SC judge after referring to a decision of one of his female counterparts as "His Honour" at the 1999 ALSA conference. Needless to say he lost that moot.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Welcome back, bearpooh.
Welcome back? I can't see he's posts? Or were they deleted? Also, where's the thread Asqy made? I guess that was deleted as well. LoLz.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Welcome back? I can't see he's posts? Or were they deleted? Also, where's the thread Asqy made? I guess that was deleted as well. LoLz.
He's gone =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)