For those doing psychology, thoughts on the new edition? (1 Viewer)

blahblahblaaah

HSC
So those of you who are taking psych would probably know that getting the 9th 'Themes and Variations' textbook is necessary.
But I also heard that if you get the course reader, you don't really need it since most of the information is already mentioned in the reader.
Is this true?
And also, do you think 'An interactive approach to writing essays and research reports in psychology' will be useful?

yananana

HSC
Personally, since I'm doing the Psych degree, I'm gonna buy the book (as much as it pains me to depart with $150) I probably might end up using it throughout further years so it could be a good investment. Same goes for the 'writing essays' book.
I guess for you it will depend on whether you want to keep doing psych in the future and major in it etc.

Reader? I haven't heard anything about a psych reader. I have the manual but it only has exercises for the tutorials (and the course outline etc.)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
You don't need the textbook. At all. Many people who get the textbook end up barely opening it. ALL examinable material is covered in the lectures and the textbook is only useful if there's a concept you're finding difficult. The textbook won't help you in further years because the information in it is quite general and there are different textbooks that are more appropriate and relevant to subjects in 2nd and 3rd year. If you're desperate to have a look at a textbook, there are a few copies in the library and it's a helluva lot cheaper to photocopy a few pages from it than buy the textbook. Having said that, it makes quite a good coffee table book for some light readings and random facts.

In regards to the Writing Essays/Reports - This is actually the most useful thing EVER. I've used my copy of Burton in every year of my degree. It's super useful and I constantly find myself referring to it when writing both essays and reports, and it shows you exactly what to do with good examples of everything from content to layout to referencing. You can get second hand copies fairly cheaply. Basically, BUY THIS BOOK.

I don't think there's a reader? The manual you must definitely have for tutorials (though you can also download a version of it onto your computer/ipad if you don't want to buy it/waste paper.

primalchaos3

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't need the textbook. At all. Many people who get the textbook end up barely opening it. ALL examinable material is covered in the lectures and the textbook is only useful if there's a concept you're finding difficult. The textbook won't help you in further years because the information in it is quite general and there are different textbooks that are more appropriate and relevant to subjects in 2nd and 3rd year. If you're desperate to have a look at a textbook, there are a few copies in the library and it's a helluva lot cheaper to photocopy a few pages from it than buy the textbook. Having said that, it makes quite a good coffee table book for some light readings and random facts.

In regards to the Writing Essays/Reports - This is actually the most useful thing EVER. I've used my copy of Burton in every year of my degree. It's super useful and I constantly find myself referring to it when writing both essays and reports, and it shows you exactly what to do with good examples of everything from content to layout to referencing. You can get second hand copies fairly cheaply. Basically, BUY THIS BOOK.
you sir, are a legend.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Don't buy the textbook (if you can get the old edition and borrow the new one off a friend and photocopy the pages you need)! The essay book will (IMO) probably be a good buy.

Like Blue Suede said - its only meant for students who don't get the concepts of the lectures and/or tutorials. Even if you don't know what is going on you can always borrow it from the library and look it up (like I do coz I can't afford to buy $100+ for eight units every single year).

Remember: the books listed are 'recommended' not compulsory - and your finals will be on what your lectures and tutorials cover.

yananana

HSC
Hmm.... shame I didnt read this before I bought the textbook.. Oh well, guess I'll just sell it to a naive first year (like me) next year :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)