For those of us who are worrying... (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I know many of you are worrying about the fact that crappie Standard English will "pull down" your UAI and I am definitely one of you... Just a moment ago I was browsing the Board of Studies website and see if I can find any information on this matter, but unfortunately, I came across something rather terrible when looking @ the First Place in Course List:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/FSTIC_2002_12.htm

Scroll down a bit to the English section... yup, Standard English is not there, no where to be seen... My hypothesises are:
1. Standard English is simply susceptible to discrimination;
2. Standard English is actually part of Advanced but not really
(!?);and
3. The top mark were just simply too low for a honourable first
place.

Does anyone know why is this so? I'm not saying someone must come first, but... what does this imply? gees... even ESL gets scaled (please don't pick on my word choice) up more than Standard English... If they say it is a fair system, why does it appear sooooo unfair? Well... just can't help it... damn... they were the ones who made it compulsory... meee myself love English, did fine (almost topped) in Advanced last year (year 11) but my teachers have suggested me to do Standard due to my occasional ESL problems... this top (duh!) Standard class I'm in is just hopeless, full of uncommitted people... who doesn't want their UAI to be as high as possible?

*sigh*

:) but still people... let's do our best and kick asses okay? show them we are worth it!

Last edited:

m3h_m3h

HSC
i'd like to say that i do standard and i want a good UAI. it was due to being misinformed that i done standard tho. however im not that good at english.
stupid subject. y do they really make english compulsory?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by m3h_m3h
i'd like to say that i do standard and i want a good UAI. it was due to being misinformed that i done standard tho. however im not that good at english.
stupid subject. y do they really make english compulsory?
well the answer is simple, it's because we have to build up the average english level of the whole population, we are an english speaking nation. And remember, we are competing against other english-speaking countries in the world.

but anyways... :) it's ironic for me to say this: be happy with your choice :) - even if you were misinformed. I encourage my friends very much to not hate english... (well, I'm a different case 'cause i actually like it...) I mean... even if you hate it, you still have to do it... so why hate it? my advise for you is to turn your "hatred" into passion :) look at what is it that you really want and work towards it... nothing is impossible, it all depends on yourself but not how the system nor anything else. So get your things organised today and ready to kick asses in the HSC :) take care and good luck!

Last edited:

m3h_m3h

HSC
i have no regrets really coz i wouldnt have performed well enuff in adv to make a difference.
i personally think english should not be compulsory as we all should have a good grasp of it already, well u should have if u have been to skool from kindy to yr10. well thats for those who actually want to extend their vocab and take that extra push to learn more. i personally would have chosen english anyway if it wasnt compulsory.

m3h_m3h

HSC
most esl students get provisions though. like extra time and scribes. so yeh. bleh. i should be an esl student but im fortunate enuff to not have to do esl.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
*sigh*

if they ahve General Mathematics!! i demand STAN ENG!!!!!!!!!

blazezs

Originally posted by sukiyaki
*sigh*

if they ahve General Mathematics!! i demand STAN ENG!!!!!!!!!
Lets write a letter to Department of Education and lobby them :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria
Does anyone know why is this so?
Yes - to be listed on the First Place in Course List, you need to have been ranked first in the course and have achieved a mark over 90%. An English (Standard) student has yet to accomplish this feat.

In terms of scaling, the system is fair. I've heard it said that the actual examination paper is the problem, in that it is constructed in such a way (not necessarily intentionally) that it inhibits students from demonstrating a superior level of performance.

Unfortunately I can't vouch for the truth of this last statement. It may or may not be accurate. If true, I should add that the exam paper certainly doesn't lock students out of the top band - it merely makes it difficult to access.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)