For those who didn't get a clerkship... (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Keep and eye out for jobs, I currently work as a paralegal but the work is getting a bit too casual and I want more work, I would have loved the full-time work.

Otherwise keep things as they are until grad apps I guess :(

twa13

HSC
N/A
It's good that you have some legal work experience.

I'm worried that I'm going to be entirely unemployable when I finish.

Lara1986

HSC
It's good that you have some legal work experience.

I'm worried that I'm going to be entirely unemployable when I finish.
If experience is your main concern - there's an easy remedy for that : volunteer :)

Even if you can't spare much time because you need to work elsewhere for money, there's quite a few opportunities to work in legal centres or other pro bono groups on a very casual basis.

Eg - Toongabbie Legal Centre for example, if you volunteer there it's roughly once a fortnight for a few hours that you're required.

This website is a great place to find legal centres that accept student volunteers - Combined Community Legal Centres NSW

twa13

HSC
N/A
Easier said than done. There are so many law students clamouring for those positions.

Redfern do two intakes a year and the legal centre in the cross does its rosters maybe three times a year.

I'm not being defeatist but it's definitely not as easy as it seems.

Lara1986

HSC
Easier said than done. There are so many law students clamouring for those positions.

Redfern do two intakes a year and the legal centre in the cross does its rosters maybe three times a year.

I'm not being defeatist but it's definitely not as easy as it seems.

I wouldn't say easier said than done - it's just a matter of not being too selective and being (within reason) flexible and willing to travel.

There are really a lot of legal centres out there - just off the top of my head i can think of Marrickville, Macquarie, Toongabbie, Women's legal centre, the national youth & kids centre, Mt Druitt, Hawkesbury etc.

There are plenty of options for legal related experience - community legal centres, pro bono projects (if you're a UWS student contact the PBSA), doing clinical placement units (UWS has this available, not sure what is available at other unis), seeking out work experience in law firms and so on.

One organisation I would recommend to anyone interested in Criminal Law in particular, but also just generally in gaining greater exposure to court proceedings, would be the Intellectual Disability Rights Service - Criminal Justice Support Network. It's not a regular week by week commitment or anything, more a matter of your availabilty and whether the location is suitable to you. Basically, you act as a support person for people with intellectual disabilities who are witnesses, victims, defendants in court. There are also opportunities to be a support person at Police Stations but I only ever did the court related side of things so i can't really comment on the Police side of things. They seem to run training days a few times a year and they don't seem to turn away volunteers - it's basically a matter of 2 x a few hours of basic training and you're ready to go.

I know that some courts and legal bodies also run 'internships' or work experience programs - i recall seeing ads up for the Federal Court a while ago, and there are regularly ads for 'work experience' placements in a few sydney migration firms. Plus there's often volunteer court liaison roles around - i know of a few people who took on these kinds of roles and whilst it doesn't exactly require legal knowledge or application, it is still court based experience and is useful for understanding the processes. Plus you get to observe a lot and you can learn a lot from that.

Sometimes law firms are willing to take you on as a 'work experience clerk' in place of a 'plt placement student' - don't be afraid to contact firms and ask because they may say yes, particularly if they are a smaller or suburban or boutique firm. A good place to look is the College of Law website, in addition to your uni's info.

Ask around at uni - sometimes research students or academics need assistance with research and the like and whilst it is not work in a law firm/practical legal area per se, it will still be valuable experience to give you a head start.

Keep in mind places like trade unions/employer associations and other bodies that are involved in law-related activities and reform as again, whilst not 'law firm' experience it is related and may help get a foot in the door, particularly if you are interested in employment related law from a legal practitioner's perspective.

Another thing a lot of students don't seem to consider - contact legal recruitment agencies. There are often temping positions over the uni break (i.e. when full time staff take holidays :) ) and this may very lead to long term ongoing employment. There are also opportunities for one off work eg assisting in preparation for a particular case or matter or project where a practitioner requires extra hands but only for that particular thing.

Another beneficial thing too, especially if yo'ure interested in administrative law, is to get involved in your uni's committees. Eg UWS's student misconduct committee is quite good experience and is looked on favourably by employers in my experience as basically, as a committee member, you are part of an administrative style hearing process whereby you consider evidence and apply by laws to determine punishments for students. It is pretty interesting too and again, at least at UWS, not a major committment - on average i'd say i've done maybe 4 or so each year? The less serious matters take a few hours, the more serious take a few day's worth of meetings but it's nothing too taxing.

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I just wrote application letters to all the local law firms offering to work for free as 'work experience' as suggested above a few months ago. Sent 3 letters and got 2 acceptances - and the one I took is actually paying me (albeit at probably minimum wage)! But I don't care about the hourly rate yet - just care about the experience...

Lara1986

HSC
I just wrote application letters to all the local law firms offering to work for free as 'work experience' as suggested above a few months ago. Sent 3 letters and got 2 acceptances - and the one I took is actually paying me (albeit at probably minimum wage)! But I don't care about the hourly rate yet - just care about the experience...
That's fantastic that you were happy to take unpaid stuff but are getting paid anyway! Kind of like a bonus then since you weren't expecting it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)