For those who have completed the legal HSC or are doing so rn (1 Viewer)

2022hsc

HSC
N/A
(I was previously considering dropping maths, but now want to keep and possibly drop bio, but before doing so I want to make sure I wont regret keeping legal for year 12 over bio)

Biology context
ranked 3rd in cohort
good cohort and teacher
enjoy the way bio is tested (feel that I am slightly more capable than in test essays but unsure)
daunting amount of content

Legal context
decent rank
small class (not overly high achieving except for top few)
good teacher
interested in government, international relations, ect.

Is legal studies hard or are concepts difficult to understand? Do you wish you had chosen a different sub over legal? Does the content become too much? Did you find yourself restricted on time during exams? And ultimately, how difficult is it to attain a high band in the sub?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I didn't do Legal Studies for my HSC but I thought I'd provide some tips while you wait for someone who can advise you more specifically.

First, let's examine and compare the information you've provided on your current position and other relevant aspects of both subjects:
  • Ranked 3rd in Biology vs Ranked decently in Legal Studies - Based on your wording I'm assuming that your Biology rank is currently better than your Legal Studies rank.
  • Good cohort in Biology vs Not overly high achieving (except for top few) in Legal Studies - You can expect better final assessment marks with a good final rank and a more academically capable cohort.
  • Good Biology teacher = Good Legal Studies teacher.
  • Enjoy the way Biology is tested (with a feeling of potentially better ability compared to in test essays) vs Interest in government, international relations, etc. - This one may be a bit subjective, but I feel like an interest in the content of a subject may allow you to study and achieve good results more easily in that subject.
If we consider the above, a simple conclusion would be to keep Biology and drop Legal Studies because keeping bio is more beneficial than keeping legal.

Second, let's take a look at what is taught in HSC Legal Studies. This can give you an idea of what you can expect as you commence year 12:

Part I of the core - Crime:

Through the use of a range of contemporary examples, students investigate criminal law, processes and institutions and the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms.

Things you learn about include:
  • the nature of crime
  • the criminal investigation process
  • the criminal trial process
  • sentencing and punishment
  • young offenders
  • international crime.
Part II of the core - Human Rights:

Through the use of a range of contemporary examples, students investigate the notion of human rights and assess the extent to which legal systems embody such human rights and promote them in practice.

Things you learn about include the nature and development of human rights as well as promoting and enforcing human rights. You will also be required to investigate a contemporary issue that shows the promotion/enforcement of human rights.

Part III - Options:

Through the use of contemporary examples, students investigate the legal rights of consumers and the effectiveness of the law in achieving justice for consumers.

There are 7 options within this topic. You must study two of those options. The options are:
  • Option 1: Consumers
  • Option 2: Global environmental protection
  • Option 3: Family
  • Option 4: Indigenous peoples
  • Option 5: Shelter
  • Option 6: Workplace
  • Option 7: World order
I won't go through each option in detail because then my post will become too big. Instead, I'll leave a link to the HSC Legal Studies syllabus document where you can access all the relevant information you may need about the content:

Third, you need to look at things from your own perspective. What are your career aspirations? Since you mentioned you have an interest in government, international relations, etc., does that mean you are looking to study law beyond the HSC? In that case, Legal Studies can provide you with a good foundation of knowledge with respect to any law-related studies beyond the HSC. That said, it is important to remember that Legal Studies is not a prerequisite for law degrees. From what you said in your original post I doubt that you want to study a science-related course, but if you do, keeping Biology could be helpful as it also provides a good foundation of knowledge, although I believe it isn't a prerequisite for science-related degrees either.

Alternatively, I believe it wouldn't be a bad option to keep both subjects at the start of year 12 and giving each subject a try. Based on your performance in each subject at the start of year 12, you might be able to make a more informed decision regarding which subject to keep and which subject to drop. That way there will most likely be no regrets.

I hope this helps! :D

2022hsc

HSC
N/A
Hey, I didn't do Legal Studies for my HSC but I thought I'd provide some tips while you wait for someone who can advise you more specifically.

First, let's examine and compare the information you've provided on your current position and other relevant aspects of both subjects:
  • Ranked 3rd in Biology vs Ranked decently in Legal Studies - Based on your wording I'm assuming that your Biology rank is currently better than your Legal Studies rank.
  • Good cohort in Biology vs Not overly high achieving (except for top few) in Legal Studies - You can expect better final assessment marks with a good final rank and a more academically capable cohort.
  • Good Biology teacher = Good Legal Studies teacher.
  • Enjoy the way Biology is tested (with a feeling of potentially better ability compared to in test essays) vs Interest in government, international relations, etc. - This one may be a bit subjective, but I feel like an interest in the content of a subject may allow you to study and achieve good results more easily in that subject.
If we consider the above, a simple conclusion would be to keep Biology and drop Legal Studies because keeping bio is more beneficial than keeping legal.

Second, let's take a look at what is taught in HSC Legal Studies. This can give you an idea of what you can expect as you commence year 12:

Part I of the core - Crime:

Through the use of a range of contemporary examples, students investigate criminal law, processes and institutions and the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms.

Things you learn about include:
  • the nature of crime
  • the criminal investigation process
  • the criminal trial process
  • sentencing and punishment
  • young offenders
  • international crime.
Part II of the core - Human Rights:

Through the use of a range of contemporary examples, students investigate the notion of human rights and assess the extent to which legal systems embody such human rights and promote them in practice.

Things you learn about include the nature and development of human rights as well as promoting and enforcing human rights. You will also be required to investigate a contemporary issue that shows the promotion/enforcement of human rights.

Part III - Options:

Through the use of contemporary examples, students investigate the legal rights of consumers and the effectiveness of the law in achieving justice for consumers.

There are 7 options within this topic. You must study two of those options. The options are:
  • Option 1: Consumers
  • Option 2: Global environmental protection
  • Option 3: Family
  • Option 4: Indigenous peoples
  • Option 5: Shelter
  • Option 6: Workplace
  • Option 7: World order
I won't go through each option in detail because then my post will become too big. Instead, I'll leave a link to the HSC Legal Studies syllabus document where you can access all the relevant information you may need about the content:

Third, you need to look at things from your own perspective. What are your career aspirations? Since you mentioned you have an interest in government, international relations, etc., does that mean you are looking to study law beyond the HSC? In that case, Legal Studies can provide you with a good foundation of knowledge with respect to any law-related studies beyond the HSC. That said, it is important to remember that Legal Studies is not a prerequisite for law degrees. From what you said in your original post I doubt that you want to study a science-related course, but if you do, keeping Biology could be helpful as it also provides a good foundation of knowledge, although I believe it isn't a prerequisite for science-related degrees either.

Alternatively, I believe it wouldn't be a bad option to keep both subjects at the start of year 12 and giving each subject a try. Based on your performance in each subject at the start of year 12, you might be able to make a more informed decision regarding which subject to keep and which subject to drop. That way there will most likely be no regrets.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you this actually puts things into perspective (you give a lot better advice than my school's career advisor hah).
The syllabus sounds so much more interesting than prelim content, but I'll look further at all the options! Until the time comes to finalise this decision, I will also start considering career paths and hopefully that will guide me toward making the right choice.
Thanks again for help!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you this actually puts things into perspective (you give a lot better advice than my school's career advisor hah).
The syllabus sounds so much more interesting than prelim content, but I'll look further at all the options! Until the time comes to finalise this decision, I will also start considering career paths and hopefully that will guide me toward making the right choice.
Thanks again for help!
No worries!

Definitely a good idea to examine all available options first then making an informed decision as you mentioned.

All the best with your HSC! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)