For those who have got into Med in ALREADY. A few questions :) (1 Viewer)

Maldini92

HSC
Hi guys,

For those who have got into the med courses, do you think it is worth doing all the prep courses such as medentry etc for Umat? Could adequate preperation be made just from other "cheaper" or "free" sources?

And also, any idea what interviewers look for in UNSW and UMELB etc?

private

HSC
Ive been thinking those same questions myself.

Looking forward to replies:)

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
I suppose as with everything it's a matter of choice - I personally did Medentry and I guess it was useful but I'm not going around beating its drum and saying I would have been a lost cause without it. I think more than anything with me it allowed me to get into the mindset of doing the UMAT and the type of questions involved - there are many other ways you can do this e.g. mensa puzzle books, etc but I'm a pretty lazy guy so I probably wouldn't have been motivated enough to do anything if I hadn't gone to the prep course.

Prep is by no means necessary - I know quite a number of people who got much higher UMAT scores than I but who didn't attend any prep courses.

As for interviews, number one; UMelb doesn't offer undergrad anymore. UNSW is a bit of a weird interview (the kind of interview you either really like or think is completely pointless and a waste of time) - very much a psychological kind of assessment of your personality.

From my point of view, and others may disagree, the interview (generally speaking) is very much a measure of how you have learnt from your life experiences and your awareness of the world around you. These include appreciating types of skills/qualities you have acquired from being in certain situations e.g. teamwork, leadership, communication, mediation as well as acknowledging and understanding yourself, your motivations, weaknesses, etc as well as a sense of your 'place in the world' - they want to know that you know how to conduct yourself appropriately in the real world (and have an appropriate mentality and temperament to be a health professional) and not that you're some narcissistic maniac. Also that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)