Forcing subjects (1 Viewer)

kroiston

HSC
Hey,
I was just wondering if it was possible for students to be forced to do a subject? Take Advanced or Standard English?
Okay take my example, I was moved from advanced to a "temporary half advanced half standard class - just until we make another advanced class because there are too many advanced students for x amount of classes" in the first term of year 11 - because I flunked out in my very first assessment lol. Turns out that it was actually a standard class and we were doing standard work. Then after we finished Module A - the girl from my old advanced class who had been moved down with me got moved back into a proper advanced class.
During an assessment task (AOS) which had the same questions for both standard and advanced (which was taken while I had been in the standard class for around four weeks) - I got 15/15 for section III - one mark off full marks for section II and 11 for section I - which ranked me first in standard - and if I was actually able to be compared to advanced students, I'm sure I would have done very well. Oh and btw, I used my text and related materials from my old advanced class, the standards ones were so...mundane.
Now we are half way through Module B and I've asked the head english teacher why I havent been allowed back into advanced (in a letter) - and she still hasnt got back to me, after about a week and a half.
Can they actually make us stay in a level of English?

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes they can. However, continually pester the Head English teacher until she gives you an answer.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hey,
I was just wondering if it was possible for students to be forced to do a subject? Take Advanced or Standard English?
Okay take my example, I was moved from advanced to a "temporary half advanced half standard class - just until we make another advanced class because there are too many advanced students for x amount of classes" in the first term of year 11 - because I flunked out in my very first assessment lol. Turns out that it was actually a standard class and we were doing standard work. Then after we finished Module A - the girl from my old advanced class who had been moved down with me got moved back into a proper advanced class.
During an assessment task (AOS) which had the same questions for both standard and advanced (which was taken while I had been in the standard class for around four weeks) - I got 15/15 for section III - one mark off full marks for section II and 11 for section I - which ranked me first in standard - and if I was actually able to be compared to advanced students, I'm sure I would have done very well. Oh and btw, I used my text and related materials from my old advanced class, the standards ones were so...mundane.
Now we are half way through Module B and I've asked the head english teacher why I havent been allowed back into advanced (in a letter) - and she still hasnt got back to me, after about a week and a half.
Can they actually make us stay in a level of English?

Yes. Classes have maximum class sizes and the teachers won't exceed that maximum for a number of reasons but mainly due to the fact that that size is set by the union and the department in public schools. Once the classes are full then the school is able to refuse to allow more students into those classes. Schools also have to staff other years and there is a set number of teachers for the number of students. Thus the school can't simply form an extra class just because some students wish to do a level that is full (or a subject for that matter e.g. at my school we often have a waiting list for subjects like hospitality where is it first in gets into the class).

noreun

HSC
Complain, get your parents to write a letter to the principal, and if you're adamant about doing advanced then threaten to move schools and all that good stuff.

Most likely won't work but try anyway. It worked for my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)