Forensic Science (1 Viewer)

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Hey is anyone out there doing either of the 2 courses at UTS, Forensic bio and biomedical science or Forensic science and applied chem. Is it good?, I am seriously thinking about doing it.

The only problem is that I got 79 UAI and those courses need like 85 or 86, so will I be able to transfer from B of science(flexible) to either of those courses?

thanks

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im currently doing forensic science in applied chem. I got a similar UAI to you, but with hard work in the first year and completing a personal statement, itll make your transfer competitive. Youll probably need a credit average just to be safe.

miraj

mr.47
HSC
personal statement? what does that involve, like how interested u are in forensics?

So it is possible to transfer from B of science to Forensic science, but does mean u have to start the forensic courses from the beginning, hence extending ur stay at uni.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
http://www.uts.edu.au/study/appform/personal_statements.html
Thats the link to the personal statement...on how to write, what to write etc. However, the closing date has passed, so you might as well try next year.

it is possible to transfer from any course to forensic science as long as you are competitive. You can also get exemptions as well (such as chemistry, med sci etc).

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Hey Jemsta is B of Forensic biology and biomedical science a double degree cause there is a seperate degree called Biomedical science.

oh what are the pracs like in Forensic science and applied chem.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I have a friend who was in a similar situation to you last year (ow and im currently doing the BSc App Chem - Forensic Science) what she did was to do one year of the BSc App Chem degree choosing the same subjects as the BSc App Chem- Forensic Science course had to do. Currently she is hoping to transfer into the Forensics course.

With regards to your question about the Biomedical Science degree, it isnt a double degree it is basically the biomedical degree majoring in forensic biology.

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
you know they have the bonus scheme? you can get upto 5 bonus UAI points if u went 'well' in relevent subjects eg.maths, bio, chem, phy. That mite help you get in. and the cutoffs this year were lower so you still mite get in esp if u get some bonus marks!

PS. Anyone starting forensics in 08??

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ill be a 2nd year forensic student.
Im assuming youre a forensic student. You doing the chem or biology stream?

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Hey Jemsta you said that you did B of science(flexible) in first year righ? So what foundation stream did you choose? ie Physical science, Life science, mathamatics

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i was at unsw doing environmental science during the first year. Wasnt at uts at all.

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
well jemsta if u were talking to me...im doin (about to start) forensics in Bio/bio med. hopefully should b good! =)
anyone have any opinions on UTS n forensics? or anyone else doin it?

gracie007

HSC
hey i started doing it last year, was only in the course a few months and therefore bought all the textbooks and they they are all completely brand new, unused ...so if ur looking for the books let me know and i can sell you tehm cheaper than full price!

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Hey Gracie007 what books do you have? Could you please give us a list and the price.

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
hey gracie...i would be interested but i dont have my booklist yet..soo yehh
if u could tell me which ones u have and prices i can get back to u on that kateh31 at hotmailerrrr lol

thanks heaps

krayzie_

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure I did the same subjects last year, but some subjects have been changed, but I'm sure the texts will be the same.

Physical Aspects of Nature : College Physics - Serway/Faugn 7th Ed

Chemistry 1 + 2 : Chemistry The Central Science : A broad perspective - Brown Lemay Burston

Medical Science 1 + 2 : Human Anatomy and Physiology - Elaine Marieb 7th Ed
I think this subject has been reduced to a single subject called Human Anatomy and Physiology

Statistical Design and Analysis : NONE, you'll have to buy a folder with the notes costs about 50 - 60. However some people may struggle in this class so let me recommend a text I used which let me pass with a HD. Its called "Introduction to the practice of statistics - David S. Moore 5th Edition

Cells Genetics and Evolution (I think its called something else too) : Biology An Australian Focus - Knox 3rd Edition

Biomolecules : Structure and Function : Principles of Biochemistry - David L Nelson 4th Edition.

Thats it =D

Just a note to you guys though that for Physical Aspects of Nature, Chemistry and Biomolecules - I bought the books and they are in brand new condition like I haven't used them at all - Its quite a waste of money at about $100 + per book =D

The others you do use so I advise getting them.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im seeling my 10th edition chemistry: the central science for $50. Excellent condition. Which leaves me that another BUY/SELL thread should be created in the general UTS forum.

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
euro-dragon said:
Hey,

Im doin the Forensic Biology course this year...hope the people in that course are cool :)
HAHAH whooo found someone who is finally doin this course! :)
yeah i reckon...i hope there's friend-worthy people there!!! =p
although i prob sound crazy myself now that i've finally updated my BOS sig n such

and also hope the course is good!

wat day u registering?

and about the books...i'll get back to you (hopefuly...if i remember) once i get the book list...but thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)