formal hairstyles (1 Viewer)

bonamy

HSC
i have no idea what hair style to have for my formal. i want a half up half down type. any suggetsions or good websites to look

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
what does your dress look like? your hair should compliment the style of the dress.
a good hairdresser can make a simple half-up/half-down 'do look really really nice...you can go either sleek and straight or have like long waves or curls and pin up the top...i did that, sort of, for my formal. only really loosely pinned.
this sort of style i think compliments floatier dresses, or shorter dresses...with a floor length dress i think it would be better to have your hair up - same goes for a strapless dress. but if you're wearing a knee length dress or a really floaty, girly dress, the halfup-down style can work really well.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Yeah, this hairstyle can go with any dress style. Umm...you can have the simple half-tied style and wear a elaborate clip, or you can ask the hairdressers for a bun style which works for mostly-straight hair...also try googling hairstyles, half down half up, formal hairstyles, etc and they should have pictures. :) Have fun!

E.g.

http://www.beautywish.com/half_up_half_down.htm

There so many!

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the best thing to do it look at the celebrities because there are always new pictures of them and they always have new hairstyles. websites with hairstyles don't change.
try www.gettyimages.com then click on 'editorial' and then search for someone

HSC
N/A
Cykologi_gal said:
Yeah, this hairstyle can go with any dress style. Umm...you can have the simple half-tied style and wear a elaborate clip, or you can ask the hairdressers for a bun style which works for mostly-straight hair...also try googling hairstyles, half down half up, formal hairstyles, etc and they should have pictures. :) Have fun!

E.g.

http://www.beautywish.com/half_up_half_down.htm

There so many!
I disagree... half-up half-down hairstyles can look really inappropriate sometimes, such as with a really really formal dress, or if the dress has a really detailed back (and ESPECIALLY if the detail on the back starts from the neck). In cases like these it's almost mandatory to have a full up-do.

Most cocktail-y dresses look good with half-up/half-down hair though, if not all out. The one thing I would advise is that you try to avoid the lots-of-tight-curls breadbun look on the head... everyone does it, and it's getting a bit naff IMO. Maybe do something with looser curls, or just have a few strands pinned back off the face? For my Yr 12 formal I had a side part, and I pulled the front bits back and secured it with a nice flower clip :) You could also use a diamonte clip though.

All this aside, we're all sort of fishing around in the dark for suggestions without knowing what the dress looks like :/

Last edited:

*Lozzie*

HSC
i came out with my hair looking completly to what i expected it to look like but it looked so nice --- i had a cotail dress and went with half up half downwith loose curls i loved it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)