Four law subjects per semester (1 Viewer)

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to hear what people thought of the workload from doing four law courses per semester. At this stage I would like to give commerce a rest for a year and pick it up a year later where I'll be back to doing 2 commerce + 2 law courses per semester as I was doing last year. The only concern I have right now with respect to doing four law courses per semester (i.e. for Sem 1 2007 - Criminal Law; Constitutional Law A; Property Law A; Equity) is that I have only studied law for a year (i.e. only 4 courses so far) and thought that perhaps launching straight into law full-on (without a less intense commerce course for lessening the workload) might not be a good idea and may result in a lower GPA than say the GPA I might attain if say I took on a 4 courses per semester workload a year later when I would be more accustomed to the law curriculum (and therefore have developed better legal skills).

On the other hand, however, the school's suggested plan for a student doing a single LLB degree implies that this should be fine for someone in their second year. This is because, according to the plan, a single LLB degree student (doing law only, not combined with another degree) does 5 law courses in the first year (i.e. 2 in Semester 1 with 2 non-law courses; 3 in Semester 2 with 1 non-law course) and then does the aforementioned 4 law courses in Sem 1 of the following year (for me this would therefore be Criminal Law, Constitutional Law A; Property Law A; Equity). As you can see, this suggested plan is quite similar to my current plan and therefore it must follow that there should not be any dramas in doing 4 law courses per semester, even if it is only my second year of law. After all, someone who does a straight LLB degree would be doing these subjects in second year anyway.

Any thoughts?
Cheers.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: doing 4 law subjects per semester

I think you're right on both points.

You'll probably have developed your legal skills somewhat more should you just continue doing 2 law and 2 commerce, but it is not a significant problem since straight LLB students do it.

Personally I think it depends on what law subjects you do. In fourth year of a combined degree we do all law subjects but some of them are quite light. I would not recommend doing Criminal Law, Constitutional Law A, Property Law A, and Equity all in one semester. If you can scrap one of them for a light law course - like legal ethics, then I think that would be better.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
personally i did: criminal 2, contracts 2, torts and admin in the same semester. found it was a little hard-going for the subjects i wasn't so interested in at the time (ie contracts), but the others were fine.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I do 5/session. I get by.

Just be prepared to read a lot more than you normally would. And expect multiple assignments to have conflicting due dates (ie. 'all on the same day').

You can pretty much guarantee that your average mark will decrease with each additional subject you add, unless you're some kind of super genius. It's a simple matter of time and the amount of it you can lend studying each subject - that said, if you'd normally do this many subjects (generally), there shouldn't be a problem.

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A

MoonlightSonata said:
Personally I think it depends on what law subjects you do. In fourth year of a combined degree we do all law subjects but some of them are quite light. I would not recommend doing Criminal Law, Constitutional Law A, Property Law A, and Equity all in one semester. If you can scrap one of them for a light law course - like legal ethics, then I think that would be better.

Hi Moonlight,

I have a similar question. Do you think doing the following subjects together in one semester is too heavy: crim 1; admin law; law, lawyers & society and property law 1? I heard property law was pretty heavy going so would it be better to drop property law and do three subjects instead?

Last edited:

Summer Rain

HSC
N/A
Hi hfis,

I am just wondering, does your marks decrease significantly each time you add a law subject?

Also do you find yourself needing more time to study or do you allocate the same study time but just spend less time studying for each time you pick up a new subject?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Summer Rain said:
Hi hfis,

I am just wondering, does your marks decrease significantly each time you add a law subject?

Also do you find yourself needing more time to study or do you allocate the same study time but just spend less time studying for each time you pick up a new subject?
No, I wouldn't say they decreased significantly. I rather enjoy law so I seem to have some kind of natural aptitude with it, it's handy.

I didn't do a single reading last session and managed an average mark of 74, which wasn't too bad. As long as you know how to cram/are able to sit in every lecture/tute and soak up everything like a sponge, you're generally fine.

With large numbers of subjects though, the sheer number of concurrent assignments is what kills you. Be wary, and know how to juggle time you don't have.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Summer Rain said:
Hi Moonlight,

I have a similar question. Do you think doing the following subjects together in one semester is too heavy: crim 1; admin law; law, lawyers & society and property law 1? I heard property law was pretty heavy going so would it be better to drop property law and do three subjects instead?
No I think that's perfectly fine. While property law is one of the harder law subjects you'll do at law school, Crim 1 and Law, Lawyers & Society are two of the easiest. You'll be fine.

Crim 1 has a lot of reading but it's really light stuff.

Property has few readings but it's quite dense material.

Admin has average length readings and varies from light to average to, in a few places, hard. The first few weeks of the course are easy. The middle part of the course is average. When you get to judicial review, it can get somewhat tricky in places. But generally Admin is okay. The only problem is, it can be a dreadfully dry subject if you don't have a good teacher. If you have a good teacher, it can be one of the most stimulating. Admin truly is a very interesting subject, if you engage with it properly. I like all law subjects, but that was one of my favourites.

As for LLS, I did no readings for Law Lawyers at all and made no notes whatever. And I received a D.

M@C D@DDY

HSC

MoonlightSonata said:
No I think that's perfectly fine. While property law is one of the harder law subjects you'll do at law school, Crim 1 and Law, Lawyers & Society are two of the easiest. You'll be fine.

Crim 1 has a lot of reading but it's really light stuff.

Property has few readings but it's quite dense material.

Admin has average length readings and varies from light to average to, in a few places, hard. The first few weeks of the course are easy. The middle part of the course is average. When you get to judicial review, it can get somewhat tricky in places. But generally Admin is okay. The only problem is, it can be a dreadfully dry subject if you don't have a good teacher. If you have a good teacher, it can be one of the most stimulating. Admin truly is a very interesting subject, if you engage with it properly. I like all law subjects, but that was one of my favourites.

As for LLS, I did no readings for Law Lawyers at all and made no notes whatever. And I received a D.
Oh yeh...On this subject of good teachers for Admin and Property, Can you name them?? I have got Santow for Admin (apparently he's excellent) and Rehberg for Property.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Constitutional Law and Property Law are important subjects. Instead of sitting four rather intensive core subjects in one semester and risking your marks why not do three subjects? Alternatively you could do what Moonlight suggested and instead of taking four core subjects do some electives or some of the less intensive cores like legal ethics.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

M@C D@DDY said:
Oh yeh...On this subject of good teachers for Admin and Property, Can you name them?? I have got Santow for Admin (apparently he's excellent) and Rehberg for Property.
Ed Santow was one of the best teachers I've ever had :)

Cathy Sherry is best for Property, but she's not taking Property 1 this year.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Summer Rain said:
I can't even change my admin class to Santow's class because his only class is full. This is so unconstitutional!

Is it possible to swap classes in the first week even though a class is full? I have noticed alot of people swap classes in the couple of weeks or so but I don't know how they are allowed to do it.
Some people move around in the first week, which creates openings.

You can try swapping, but I have a bunch of friends who are fervently trying to move into Santow's class, so good luck :p
Summer Rain said:
Any suggestions what lecturers are good for LLS & crim 1?
Alex Steel and David Brown are good for Crim.

Andrea Durbach is good for LLS.

M@C D@DDY

HSC

Summer Rain said:
Yeah I will try to swap, how big is your group of friends and whose class I they trying to escape from, C Steer?

I am in David Brown'ss class for crim, I'm glad I have one thing right but I heard what he talks about in class is not relevant to what is in the exam.
I had Alex Steel and he sidetracks too. I highly recommend Melanie Schwartz... She is an excellent teacher.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
i did five in semester 1 and four in semester 2, all core subjects. it's definitely do-able.

note that, like hfis said, there will be more readings to be done, assignment/exam clashes, and the possiblity of receiving less marks than you would have if you took only two or three law subjects (depending on how much time you are willing to spend studying).

woebegone

HSC
Hi Michael Jackson :)

(i.e. for Sem 1 2007 - Criminal Law; Constitutional Law A; Property Law A; Equity) is that I have only studied law for a year (i.e. only 4 courses so far) and thought that perhaps launching straight into law full-on (without a less intense commerce course for lessening the workload) might not be a good idea and may result in a lower GPA than say the GPA I might attain if say I took on a 4 courses per semester workload a year later when I would be more accustomed to the law curriculum (and therefore have developed better legal skills).
I study Arts/Law myself but have chosen to depart from the standard course plan and complete my Arts degree first (which I have done 2 years ago) and then concentrate on my law degree (im in my 7th year!!). So like you, I will be taking four law subjects this semester.

I personally have no problem doing four law subjects. It's actually better for me because my brain sticks to one discipline throughout the semester than bounce from law and politics (my Arts major) and languages. :)

The only advice I can give you right now is to CHOOSE YOUR SUBJECTS CAREFULLY.

Criminal law is fun, but Const Law, Property and Equity are quite boring (to me anyway). I'd say drop one of them and go for an optional subject which you really like.... trust me, it will help you keep SANE. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)