Frankenstein and bladerunner - disagreeing with the syllabus (1 Viewer)

HSC
Thanks. I think i understand it better, i've made a billion summary sheets on it so now i just have to wait for the question.
And unlucky about your teacher haha

Good luck :D

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
i really do not think you should disagree with the syllabus..

early 19thC = beginning of industrial movement, yah, but also it's the romantic movement

julia21

HSC
do we get marked down for not underlining the titles of the novel?? .. because in paper 1 i ran out of time after only underlining 2 pages :(
and also i agree with that guy

... Obviously they were composed at different times with different contexts.

Just compare and contrast why the stories are different, techniques ect, and how this is contributed to from context.

E.g. --> creation of life: F context was galvinism, medical fascination, corpse stealing; B was IVF, Reaganism ect.
:hat::gift:

rubyjazz37

HSC
Let's not forget keywords such as similar (aka, not the same, but not different) and may (aka, not absolute) - basically giving us the opportunity to say whatever the hell we like about BR+F, as long as we can back it up with evidence and such...

As is the point of English. =P

And, yeah, it's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with the syllabus because only one word really matters... MAY!!!! (I would endlessly underline and emphasise this if I could as EVERYTHING revolves around this one word.)

May is like the sun of the "Texts in Time" universe, lol. =D

Good luck in the exam tomorrow everyone!! =O =S
And yes, 'MAY' is the centre of gravity for these two texts, haha. (Yes, I did steal that wording from one of the texts in Area of Study yesterday :p ) I discovered that yesterday when I first found this thread, so yes, 'sall good, I understand it all now, just gotta study it. :)

I don't believe one can agree with the rubric completely since there are a lot of that are similar. It reflects changing values and perspectives but it ALSO reflects values and perspectives that still similar... especially in regards to man's creation of life.

sml

HSC
I just found this hiding underneath all my notes that are spread out around the house. I'm finding it really helpful! I get it now, I think I was thinking too deeply into the question but even small differences we can elaborate on.

Blade Runner and Frankenstein both convey very similar themes, with the most prominent being the idea of man playing god and the question of what it is to be human. However, the way these themes are conveyed in each text is very much affected by the context and perspectives of the society in which they were composed.

E.g. One obvious reflection of the changes in context is the language used in each text. In Frankenstein there is a certain politeness which arises despite the harted both victor and the creature feel towards each other. The monster only ever calls Victor "my creator", even when he is threatening to make him regret refusing his request. Even Victor, angered over the murder of his brother and the framing of Justine, only uses insults as relatively mild as "fiend" in spite eof no longer being able to "suppress the rage that burned" within him. In contrast, there is no such restraint in Blade Runner. wuth Roy addressing Tyrell by swearing before murdering both him and J.F Sebastian. This change in language reflects the social context that has occured between the early 19th century and the early 1980's and the differences in what is socially acceptable...

Hope this helps!!!

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
do we get marked down for not underlining the titles of the novel?? .. because in paper 1 i ran out of time after only underlining 2 pages
it's cool, you won't get marked down

underlining only helps to differentiate for when it's like Frankenstein the dude and Frankenstein the novel or Hamlet play and Hamlet dude

and IF thats the case for perhaps your related text/s in paper 1.. maybe they'll get confused with what youre actually referring to

rubyjazz37

HSC
I just found this hiding underneath all my notes that are spread out around the house. I'm finding it really helpful! I get it now, I think I was thinking too deeply into the question but even small differences we can elaborate on.

Blade Runner and Frankenstein both convey very similar themes, with the most prominent being the idea of man playing god and the question of what it is to be human. However, the way these themes are conveyed in each text is very much affected by the context and perspectives of the society in which they were composed.

E.g. One obvious reflection of the changes in context is the language used in each text. In Frankenstein there is a certain politeness which arises despite the harted both victor and the creature feel towards each other. The monster only ever calls Victor "my creator", even when he is threatening to make him regret refusing his request. Even Victor, angered over the murder of his brother and the framing of Justine, only uses insults as relatively mild as "fiend" in spite eof no longer being able to "suppress the rage that burned" within him. In contrast, there is no such restraint in Blade Runner. wuth Roy addressing Tyrell by swearing before murdering both him and J.F Sebastian. This change in language reflects the social context that has occured between the early 19th century and the early 1980's and the differences in what is socially acceptable...

Hope this helps!!!
Ah, yes, brilliant! Thanks for this. :)

ashleighjade

HSC
I don't believe one can agree with the rubric completely since there are a lot of that are similar. It reflects changing values and perspectives but it ALSO reflects values and perspectives that still similar... especially in regards to man's creation of life.</SPAN>
Luckily for you the point of English is not to agree or disagree with the syllabus.

If you want, just fence-sit it! Basically, agree that, yes, they do have similar everythings, but they also have remarkably different everythings. Back this up with evidence (provide two sides to every element/theme you discuss), be strong and concise and the Board will be like "OMFG! I FREAKING LOVE YOU!"

Despite popular belief they do not hate students going against the syllabus (I prefer to think of the syllabus as a guideline, rather than rules), they are not going to fail you. The only reason you will fail is if your argument is not clear enough or you don't support it appropriately. =D

Oh, and, just follow the exam rubric. S'all they want of you from exams. =D

In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
  • demonstrate understanding of the meanings of a pair of texts when considered together
  • evaluate the relationships between texts and contexts
  • organise, develop and express ideas using language appropriate to audience, purpose and form
They are practically begging us to think outside the box and be rebellious in our answers. So, I say, do whatever you want! But remember, they are not incorrect, they are being ambiguous so that we can fill that gap with our "yeah, okay, but..." rants. =P

rubyjazz37

HSC
Luckily for you the point of English is not to agree or disagree with the syllabus.

If you want, just fence-sit it! Basically, agree that, yes, they do have similar everythings, but they also have remarkably different everythings. Back this up with evidence (provide two sides to every element/theme you discuss), be strong and concise and the Board will be like "OMFG! I FREAKING LOVE YOU!"

Despite popular belief they do not hate students going against the syllabus (I prefer to think of the syllabus as a guideline, rather than rules), they are not going to fail you. The only reason you will fail is if your argument is not clear enough or you don't support it appropriately. =D

Oh, and, just follow the exam rubric. S'all they want of you from exams. =D

[/LIST]They are practically begging us to think outside the box and be rebellious in our answers. So, I say, do whatever you want! But remember, they are not incorrect, they are being ambiguous so that we can fill that gap with our "yeah, okay, but..." rants. =P
Yeah, indeed, thanks. :)

sml

HSC
Some things to think about

-Depiction of the environment:
Frankenstein - Nature is depicted still relatively untouched
whereas
Blade Runner - Film noir used to depict a decaying polluted environment..

The themes are still the same, but Blade Runner is a post modern depiction of the future for Shelley's world.

- God like status is similar in both for Victor and Tyrell although tradition values of family, love and friendship are evident in Frankenstein. e.g. The monsters request vs Roys request. The monster tells victor that creating a female of "the same defects" is the least he could do to make his creation happy whereas Roy demads "more life" and states "can the maker repair what he makes?".. Roy and Tyrel discuss the possibilty of extending the replicants life span like scientists. Contrasted to this is the purely emotional arguments put forward my the monster to Victor. E.g "I am malicious because I am miserable".

There is in a difference in the terminology in frankenstein and blade runner.

While the themes in Blade Runner and Frankenstein are similiar, they are handled differently by each composer and are a reflection of how both societies were and how they were predicted to evolve over time..

rubyjazz37

HSC
- God like status is similar in both for Victor and Tyrell although tradition values of family, love and friendship are evident in Frankenstein. e.g. The monsters request vs Roys request. The monster tells victor that creating a female of "the same defects" is the least he could do to make his creation happy whereas Roy demads "more life" and states "can the maker repair what he makes?".. Roy and Tyrel discuss the possibilty of extending the replicants life span like scientists. Contrasted to this is the purely emotional arguments put forward my the monster to Victor. E.g "I am malicious because I am miserable".
Yeah, although values of love and friendship is also evident in Blade Runner since you see the response from Roy when Pris is killed. But yes, these values aren't shown by the actual humans in Blade Runner, unlike in Frankenstein, with Victor as an exception of course..

rubyjazz37

HSC
I just found my assignment sheet for this module from earlier in the year. The question is:

How do Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, composed in different times and context, reflect changing values and perspectives?

I guess, this is an example of question which doesn't give you an option to agree or disagree with it. How would you answer this? I thought I'd just put this out there so it could be discussed, because I know if I, or others who struggle to agree with the rubric, would have a lot of trouble answering this.

Yes, I understand that the cultures in both texts are quite different but the ethical values I still quite similar. How does that reflect changing values and perspectives?

It's because of this damn question why I've been struggling with the module. My teacher kept referring to the similarities between the texts, yet then threw this question at me where we have to talk about the differences. :S Our question in the trial gave us an option to agree or disagree though.

ashleighjade

HSC
How do Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, composed in different times and context, reflect changing values and perspectives?
Exaggerate their contextual differences?

Scott was concerned with globalisation, industrialisation, the rise of corporate America and the MASSIVE population boom - Asian's moving into Western culture, plus there was some others...?
Shelley, however, had no idea what most of this stuff was and instead concentrated heavily upon the degradation of humanity as a result of scientific progress (Vic), plus there's lack of responsibility and ethics and blahblah... Basically, she's just critiscing the scientific community and saying that they're all a bunch of a-holes, lol! =P

Hope this helped, again... =D

ashleighjade

HSC
Yeah, although values of love and friendship is also evident in Blade Runner since you see the response from Roy when Pris is killed. But yes, these values aren't shown by the actual humans in Blade Runner, unlike in Frankenstein, with Victor as an exception of course..
Those values aren't seen in Frakenstein either! When you think about it, the only person who shows the poor, lonely and frightened creature any compassion is the blind father... =O
Shelley is HIGHLY critical of society and prejudice and blahblahblah in Frankenstein, as seen in the treatment of both the De Laceys and Justine. (And, more obviously, the monster, yes...)

rubyjazz37

HSC
To hell with this thread, I say! No more ENGLISH EVER!!! OMG!! Best day of my life! Haha. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)