• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

frankenstein and bladerunner (1 Viewer)

sarabryant

HSC
i missed most of this module because i was really sick, so if anyone has any notes they would like to spare they would be greatly appreciated !!

florag

HSC
Gahh, i just completed my trial exam on F+B.R yesterdaaay...:jump:

What areas/focuses have you missed and are needing?

ThatChrisFella

HSC
Summary/context:

Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)
In the 1970's the economy was being greatly affected by asian nations as they produced many day to day items. Also, the environment was deteriorating and people were beginning to realize that something had to change.

Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
Frankenstein written in the 1800's by Mary Shelley, it was a time when people had begun to question religion. This brought about the industrial revolution and changed the world in unnatural ways.

Quotes:
Do you think I would work in a place like this if I could afford a real snake?
Nature's soul
The light that burns half as long, but oh so bright
Why do I live?
Aren't you the good man?
I will see you on your wedding night

Nature:

Nature is depicted differently in both texts.

Disappearing Earth, being taken by civilization and architecture. Many animals extinct and replaced by artificial creatures.*
Zhora to Deckard: "Do you think I would be working in a place like this if I could afford a real snake?"
Technique: Lighting casts the scene in an artificial light emphasizes an unnatural world

Monster sees the natural world and its beauty.
"Nature's soul"
Technique: personification shows that Shelley thought of nature's soul as a very real thing. The context comes through here to say that religion was still a part of her life and that the monster created by man contrasted the beauty created by nature.

Playing God:

In both texts they are left to fend for themselves after their creators abandoned them. Both creations were treated unfairly and pushed to kill for revenge because they weren't taught any better.

The creator was called Tyrell and was portrayed as powerful by low angle shots. Although he was projected as someone of high status, he was still a mortal man (large glasses) who couldn't extend the lifespan of his creations.
Tyrell to Roy: "You are the light that burns half as long, but oh so brightly."
Technique: Apathetic dialogue shows that Tyrell cannot act as a God and cared little for his people.

Ostracizing world. Monster has a disdain for his own existence. Angry at humanity and Frankenstein and is willing to kill innocents for revenge.
To self:*"Why do I live?"*
Technique: Rhetoric question, irony in a lesser extent when the monster killed William (his life ended before it truly begun, much like the monster's).

Humanity:

Values echoed in both texts. Moral questions raised and we are left to wonder how we would fare in a world of creatures we created.

Replicants treat each other kinder than humans.*
Noticed in conversation from Roy to Deckard: "Aren't you the 'good' man?"
Technique: Rhetoric question with Roy's sarcasm shows his disdain for humanity and that the Replicants are only fighting for what they believe in, a chance to live.

Much like Replicants, the monster dislikes the people that alienate him for simply being who he is.
Decides to help a family when he could have killed them.
Ultimately decides to get revenge by killing Elizabeth.
"I will see you on your wedding night"
Technique: Allusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)