Frankenstein? Blade Runner essay (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone have a look at my essay?

The question is: Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley and Blade Runner, Directed by Ridley Scott share many common attributes, most notably, that time has demonstrated both texts' significance to society. Explore this statement.

ESSAY
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Blade Runner directed by Ridley Scott are two texts that engage with contemporary values and beliefs. These two texts are significant because they explore the themes of hubris, humanity and ethics in the advancement of technology.
Both Tyrell and Victor are blinded by their achievements, their unethical actions becoming the harbingers of not only their doom, but the world and people around them. Thus it is in these two tests that the relevant issues of hubris, ethics, and humanity are explored.

Hubris is a characteristic that reflected by many contemporary issues. For example the morality of the cloning debate and stem cell dilemma are reflections of Victor’s obsession with science and progress. Hubris is the excessive pride of those with power made manifest in that individuals come to see themselves as godlike. For Victor the prospect of life and death “appeared to (him) ideal bounds”. He considers natural environments to be his slave that “he has chased nature to her very hiding place”. Victor is so egotistical that he proclaims “new species bless me as their creator”. However as with all hubris the inevitability of his downfall is certain. Both in the milieu of Greek promethean hubris and that of the Gothic Romantic scientist trespassing the domain of god. The creature’s vengeance is the ultimate price Victor pays for his hubris. Shelley foreshadows Victor’s inevitable suffering through the irony of his own advice - “I seek for knowledge… I hope yours may not be a serpent as mine had been”. This alludes to the fall from Eden as Adam and Eve gained ‘forbidden knowledge’. It is a double metaphor that plays both the knowledge Victor gains, as well as the loss of innocence of the monster as it goes into the real world.

Much like Victor who thought that he transcends the morality of one man to another; bending nature to be his slave. Tyrell has the same god-like characterisation of Hubris. Tyrell too pays with his life for toying with creation. As a film media the hubris of Tyrell is portrayed through visual cues that allude to his godlike status. When we first meet Tyrell he is presented in a mid-shot of a man dressed in white with soft luminous lighting juxtaposed against Deckard in Black jacket and Rachael in a dark business suit. The relationship between master and creation is evident as a result. Furthermore when Tyrelll confronts Roy the film uses editing to juxtapose between the glowing pristine image of Tyrell against the soiled appearance and moody dark lighting of Roy. Despite fearing for his life Tyrell continues to condescend Roy, stating "The Light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. You are quite a prize." Tyrell is unable to distinguish the replicants from property even to the bitter end. This death at the hands of his prodigal son is the hubris that Tyrell ultimately receives.

Another aspect of both texts is the question of Humanity. In Frankenstein it is a feature that is illustrated by the monster’s kind gentle nature juxtaposed with Victor’s rabid dehumanisation in creating the creature. The monster is torn between his innocent good nature and the scorn that people treat him with. He is alienated and wrecked by longing for companionship, which ultimately drives the creature to madness. This can be seen when the monster says “The human senses are insurmountable barriers to our union… if I cannot inspire love I will cause fear”. Here it can be implied while the monster is trying to show compassion to other people but the horror induced by his physical appearance hinders his humanity. This is in direct contrast to Victor’s dehumanisation when building the monster. This can be seen when the monster says “God in pity made man beautiful and alluring, after his own image, but my form is a filthy type of yours”. The characterisation of master and monster is ironic, as Victor becomes increasingly alienated from humanity by his obsessions, while the monster longs after companionship and love.

Humanity is portrayed in Blade Runner as something lost to humans but cherished by replicants. In the same virtue as the creature, the created seeks to be human while humanity rejects its own emotions. This is presented to the responder when Holden confronts Leon. In a medium shot using editing to juxtapose between the two characters. Leon is nervous, wild eyed and sweating while Holden is calm, collected and analytical. When Holden asks the questions his voice takes on a robotic and synthetic tone while Leon becomes more nervous and anxious. The irony here is that Leon is the replicant and Holden is the human. The allusion is what constitutes the question of ‘what is human?’ By the same principle Rachael at first encounter is cold, unresponsive and robotic. Her emotion is kept hidden until Deckard reveals that she is a replicant. By then she is wrecked with emotion and sobbing uncontrollably. This juxtaposition again begs the question what is humanity just as the creature questions his own humanity. In this way both texts challenge the concept of what constitutes humanity.

The ethics of technology is a theme that is reflected by Victor’s and Walton’s ambition to delve deeper into the secrets of science, can be correlated to contemporary scientific discovery. For example acid rain and climate change as a result of industrial pollution. Both the replicants and the monster are characterisations of the effect of technology on society. In Frankenstein the ethics of the development of technology can be seen with Victor’s ambition in building the monster transforming into disgust. This can be seen when Victor says that “the beauty of my dream vanished, breathless horror and disgust filled my heart”. Here it can be implied that Victor blinded by his ambition to build the monster failed to foreshadow the consequences of using technology wantonly. The dangers brought about by technology and disregard for ethics and morality is the message implied by the Gothic Romantic tale of Frankenstein.

In Blade Runner the ethics of science and technology is portrayed by the destruction of nature by the environment. This destruction of the environment can be seen in the opening scene where a long distant shot depicts a Hades like underworld, a dark industrious synthetic city where fire explosions and lightning are inescapable. The Synthetic evangelist music in the background adds to the feel of destruction. The set design of polluted street, perpetual rain, industrial high rise buildings add up to highlight the lack of care for the environment and show what has replaced the natural world. The presence of synthetic animals combined with the panning shots of a world ravaged by technology alludes to the consequence of wanton use of technology and the ultimate result it will create for our own world.

As it can be seen from above these two texts are significant to society because they posses themes that are relevant. Hubris is important because it gives caution to man playing god. Humanity is important as the texts ask what happens if we build something “that is more human than human”. The ethics of technology is important as it gives caution to the effects of science and technology. These are all relevant issues that will remain relevant so long as humanity pursues knowledge and power.

Last edited:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow a whole essay good on ya! Im in the process of writing mine up so if I sound a bit critical please forgive me haha.

With your intro, I don't think your acknowledging the significance of time and acknowledging that contexts brings about differing values. Try including it there. You would most definetely have the space.

Throughout this essay, i don't see much context at all and thats a big no-no. This whole module is about how contexts influence what has been said in the texts.

Much more synthesis is needed in terms of referring back to time demonstrating a texts significance to society.

The essay seems a bit too simplistic and doesn't really offer much insightful analysis. The nature of humanity point is anexample where you can start to really offer some philosophical messages and also what you believe the composer is trying to convey about society. Shelley is making the comment that the creature is not evil but infact society for causing him to develop in such a way. This ties back to Shelley's own personal context in regard to her father and his social theory in regard to the devlopment of good-natured individuals. Some stuff about the superficial nature of society could be used here especially the gothic imagery when Victor paints the monster as malevolent through his yellow eyes, black hair...
In regard to Bladerunner, the replicants exert more human qualities then the humans themselves who seek to hunt them. Scott's is commenting on where does humanity really lie in this case. You can use examples of relationships such as that of Roy and Pris's in terms of the passion and how much they appreciate each other in contrast to the brutal way Deccard takes the lives of the replicants. Also, Tyrel not extending full humanity to the replicants by installing a device that terminates their life after four years can also be seen as societies selfishness and inability to respect artificial creations.

I know some of that was just random stuff that I randomly put together but try looking towards that paths for all of your points. Hope that helped.

reboulle

HSC
It's good to see you're quoting from the book. Just remember you don't need too many quotes per paragraph. Your analysis of each concept and reference to techniques is more important, whilst relating back to the question.

You also need more contextual information. Your references to scientific discovery are good, but you need to explore the era in which the two texts were written in, and the social values upheld at that time, then how that is reflected in each point you raise.
Pretty good overall :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I thought it was a really good essay - but your introduction needs to actually delve more deeply into the question. No offense, but your introduction seems rather generic, a one-size-fits-all, which is good, but could definitely be better. Overall, a great essay, good work.

skilli21

HSC
Your introduction repeats the same point 3 times without actually saying how you are going to show these points in your essay.

Like Aerath said, "your introduction seems rather generic", you have to add more depth to it and maybe make it a little more interesting so the reader actually is interested in reading the rest of the essay.

Otherwise pretty good.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
My teacher who is a senior marker, always tells our class to never "teach" the markers because it doesn't show them your ability to meet the outcomes of the module, as well as being quite trivial. The time spent writing that down could be spent more on explaining how it relates to context and Frankenstein e.g. Tyrell's hubris relates to his selfish creation of the nexus-6, pursuit of perfection and commercial success.

tess_tickle

HSC
My teacher drummed into me insanely that each sentence at the beginning of each paragraph MUST relate to the question and same goes for at the end of ur point.. also.. where are ur LFF's?

brend0

HSC
a very good essay, but yes you do need to keep relating back to the fact that it is text in time, so you need to emphasize how each text are different due to the time they were created. but great essay, great points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)