Frankenstein/blade runner help! (1 Viewer)

laurensky

HSC
I have three essay questions that I need to do in 8 days. But I'm completely stuck for thesis statements.
The questions are:
1. Tyrell states that the replicants are "more human than human". Evaluate the issue of humanity in light of your comparative study of Frankenstein and Blade Runner.
2. Victor Frankenstein states "...but my eyes were insensible to the charms of nature." Evaluate the issue of man's relationship with nature in light of your comparative study.
3. The creatores of Frankenstein and Blade runner have anchored their visions in the social and cultural realities of their time. Despite contextual differences, at the heart of both texts is a fear that we may not be able to control what we create. Analyse how each text imaginatively portrays this fear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

leesh95

HSC
I'm not sure If I could help you with thesis statements but

1) If you type in "Noelle webster frankenstein" in Google, this is a very good paper by someone discussing the issue of humanity in Frankenstein. Also in Blade runner you might want to discuss how the replicants appear to be better than ordinary people shown in the movie e.g. they live in communities and appear to care for each other, Roy saving Deckard etc.
You can talk about things like Zhora's death scene etc. Even though she is supposed to be artificial her fear and attempts to evade death are very human. They make us sympathize with the replicants and question the morality of their treatment.
Overall in Frankenstein appearance seems to play an important role in how others perceive your humanity. The monster does not look human hence is not accepted by human society. But Blade runner makes the issue more complex as replicants look and act human; therefore it focuses on things other than your appearance in deciding your humanity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)