Frankenstein/BladeRunner (2 Viewers)

JessCar

HSC
lizajane91: we also did AOS first, with module A we have just recieved our assessment task n the subject and are putting together the missing links and are now comparing Frankenstein and Bladerunner in a more complex way

Celestemcnamara

HSC
We only just started watching the movie cos we did AOS first...did anyone else do that first?
We did AOS first, then critical study, really enjoyed the assessment tasks up until this comparitive once. I understood all the others.

Celestemcnamara

HSC
You get to take in notes! Thats so good, that would be amazing, there is no way our teachers would ever let us do that!

aaron22

HSC
What it mean when they ask
Specific reference to the social, historical and cultural context of each txt and how it influenced its meaning.

as well as to "reference to values"

how do you do that in relation to bladerunner and frankenstein?

reboulle

HSC
What it mean when they ask
Specific reference to the social, historical and cultural context of each txt and how it influenced its meaning.

as well as to "reference to values"

how do you do that in relation to bladerunner and frankenstein?
You discuss what each text is saying about society during the time in which they were composed. You can get this through film techniques and what happens in the storyline. Also look at the eras they come from, ie. Romantic Era, etc.

MarchOfTheDead

HSC
does anyone else find huge flaws in bladerunner and think ridley scott is an alabaster retard in making this film?
in a world where they never see the sun under the smog, the chances of it happening just as roy becomes "christlike" are how small?
and the dove. you're kidding. they didnt have animals, just replicant animals, so:
1) who let their replicant dove out,
and
2) how does it conveniently manage to find roy?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think the scene towards the end, when there is a blue sky, is a glitch. :p

skilli21

HSC
does anyone else find huge flaws in bladerunner and think ridley scott is an alabaster retard in making this film?
in a world where they never see the sun under the smog, the chances of it happening just as roy becomes "christlike" are how small?
and the dove. you're kidding. they didnt have animals, just replicant animals, so:
and

The point of the blue sky is that it is supposed to be a contrast to the rest of the film which is filmed in darkness at night time.. i guess it might be symbolic of roy eventually finding some sort of peace and has come to terms with/accepts death.

As for the dove, they did actually have real animals but they were very rare. As Zhora says about her snake, "Do you really think i could afford a real one?" or something like that. And we shouldn't really question things like "How does it conveniently manage to find roy?" because:
1. The film was made very poorly and there were loads of inconsistencies (It wasn't even a real dove being filmed, it was a white pigeon and it was filmed at a completely different location to the final scene)
2. He was just using the dove for its symbolic representation, not actually for us to apply the logic on how he has a dove in the first place.

HSC
we finished franko/br yesterday and we are beginning our last module tomorrow. wooo! haha

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
and

Haha lol. You shouldn't try and point out flaws in the realism of a movie about human cyborgs set in futuristic time where off-world colonies are the only way to escape the dredges of earth. Blade Runner is clearly fictional, and it is meant to express Ridley Scott's view of the real world as much as it is meant to entertain. The dove and the "angelic light" in that last (or second last) scene are just tools used to convey Scott's "deeper meaning" in the movie, and shouldnt be criticised for their apparent realistic faults.

jubz

HSC
This has been the most confusing module for my class. We did AOS then Module C, and we literally spent about three weeks doing Frankenstein and a week doing Blade Runner. Our teacher said because it's a movie it's easier to "get".
I started to doubt whether she had actually ever seen Blade Runner at that point.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't worry - there was a teacher at my school that taught Frankenstein without ever having read the text. :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You get to take in notes! Thats so good, that would be amazing, there is no way our teachers would ever let us do that!
Open book exams are generally unfair because the majority of students write up their entire essays in Size 6 Arial narrow font, and print it out on two sides of a page in order to fit the 'one page' limit set my teachers.

sourcandy

HSC
Anyone else started off with Module A and is doing Frankenstein and BladeRunner? If so, where abouts are you up to in the course?

Our first exam is Week 7, and we're still just reading through Frankenstein and doing a study guide (it's huge, 119 questions).</SPAN>

umm no i started off with module c and we just finnished this module i personally think that frankenstein is really boring and with blade runner there are so many questions i want to ask riddley scott like why does roy save deckard. but something really handy that my teacher told me is that the module in NOT about how frankenstein has been adapted but instead about how the same concepts and ideas are explored and interpreted in different contexts and it is our task to answer the question about how context affects meaning.

maths, 3u maths, SOR II, Adv eng, chem, bio, physics

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anyone else started off with Module A and is doing Frankenstein and BladeRunner? If so, where abouts are you up to in the course?
We started Frankenstein/BR first all the way back in Term 4 last year - and we're finished the Advanced course.

spiz dawg

HSC
my question with these texts is:

how do the paired texts studied reflect both similarities and differences in context, values and means of communication?

i have a pretty good idea on how to do this for blade runner, but i'm stuck on frankenstein.
i'm not really sure on the values and communication in how they are linked to those of blade runner.
in blade runner, the replicants communicate with animalistic actions and senses, which shows them to be more intouch with their emotions as there is little communication between the humans. however, in frankenstein, ideas of humanity are not questioned as strongly as this, so i'm having difficulty comparing the two. the same goes for values in the texts.

if someone could help me out i'd appreciate it :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, the first thing that strikes me are the common themes between the two texts. Talk about the usurpation of god - how Frankenstein is a Promethean overreacher, and plays 'god', the same way that Tyrell plays god and creates replicants.

In both texts, the 'creatures' also end up being more 'humane' then the humans themselves.

If you need more help, PM me your email, and I'll send you my essay. :)

sarah chaalan

HSC
for our first hsc assesment for english we have to write a proposal (?) of a speech we intend to present, but obv dont. its quite broad and very silly and need more infor. so sucks and so going to need help from this thread :)

so, in advance thankyou all for the different concepts and ideas

and one question

did anyone actually enjoy bladerunner & frankenstein?

because for me bladerunner was like WTF, it was quite odd, and frankenstein bored me. LOL

so not an english person -.-

goodluck to all in exam week
they were both very disturbing.... i hated watching it, would rather watch paint dry to be frank! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)