Frankenstein/BladeRunner (1 Viewer)

sarebear7

HSC
Frankenstein/ Blade Runner

The value of responsibility in both? Having trouble finding it within them, and techniques for the representation.

metalrep655

HSC
Yeah its a decent enough module, i'm digging it.
But i'm finding it hard to write essay's in general atm, so yeah. :S

AmieLea

HSC
Re: Frankenstein/ Blade Runner

FRANKENSTEIN:

Victor doesn't take care of his creation, even though he made it, instead left it to defend itself. this contrasts to the way that his parents treated him, when they took care of his every need. he also makes it without thinking of the consquences, his ambition over riding his sense of morals. n return for this, there are alot of negative consquences that his creaton inflicts upon him, ie the death of his 'sister'/wife, brother...

Walton has a sense of responsibility towards his crew, even though he is very ambtious and considers foregoing thier lives, but in the end, his sense of responsibility wins and he goes home, though we dont find out whether he actually arrives alive...

BLADE RUNNER:

replicants are made then "retired" when it suits the humans. they dont care about their wellbeing, instead just making them for their own purposes and not taking responsibiltity for their mental health. this then has a negative effect on tyrell, their maker. ie, he gets killed.

hop i've helped! good luck! :)

ammyyy

HSC

We have an assessment centred on moral responsibilities of science. So in that regard:
- the scientists in both (Victor/Tyrell Corporation) can be considered "Promethean," i.e. going beyond their limits, thus advertising hubris/moral egocentricity
- value of responsibility can be seen in the implications when it is divorced from their plight. In Frankenstein, Victor pursues an exhaustive and lethal vendetta due, initially, to his detachment from responsibilities (renders creature lonely... creature seeks retribution...). Role reversal as Victor exudes monstrosity.
- similarly, Tyrell detaches responsibility from his creations. He allows the environment to be denigrated into an urban wasteland. Blindness to responsibilities reinforced by eye motif (i.e. thick glasses, detachment in remote Mayan ziggurat). Ironically, Roy takes responsibility for his actions ("I've done questionable things) and is able to redeem them in draining his last vestiges of life to save his foe. This scene is overloaded with biblical allusions to show his superseding of Tyrell/humanity. Inevitably, responsibilty is valued and seen as a characteristic of humanity, whereby not acknowledging it as seen as engendering dehumanisation.
- with regards to environment Shelley, through her Romanticied melodramatic + heightened language, personifies nature to the extent that it is deified. She warns that we need to take responsibility for nature as it is central to human survival. Bladerunner offers a continuum/stark juxtaposition of this notion in portraying nature's absolute corruption. Scott warns of the blind consequences of usurping responsibility. (the fragility of the environment can be seen in the absence or nature apart from in dreams and the ecological bastardisation that dominates his visuals).

I'm sorry this is a bit of a rant. Hope it helps, I'm distracting myself from writing an essay on the very subject :).

Last edited:

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC

Victor Frankenstein is juxtaposed with Eldon Tyrell, they both neglect their creations?

angcampanella

HSC
any help with .... 'what it means to be human' with reference to frankenstein and blade runner?

xxshazz

HSC
for context, could i use Mary Shelley's upbringing in my essay???

by upbringing i mean her influence from fellow romantics and influential writer such as her father William Godwin who believed in the importance of good upbringing for the development of a good human being.

could i use this context to explain her warnings about lack of parental responsibilities in Frankenstein??

i love to act

HSC
I'm currently loving studying Frankenstein and Blade Runner. They provide us with a whole range of techniques, encapsulating all the different 'lessons' within both texts (aspects of overreaching, man playing God etc). I also love Shelley's use of allusions (esp. Rime of the Ancient Mariner and the story of Prometheus). My teacher also brought up the interesting fact (regarding Blade Runner), that Ridley's representation of Los Angeles' bleak atmosphere also accounts for the personalities lacking a sense of identity. In other words, the setting kind of rubs off on the central characters of the film (e.g. the world has symbolically lost sight of its true identity, as has some of the characters).
Anyway, I don't know if that makes sense, but yeah, I found it interesting!

Also, how many times have you guys read and viewed the film? I've seen the film around four times and read the book twice, but apparently, a few of my peers have read it over five times already. What do you guys think?

AmieLea

HSC
My teacher also brought up the interesting fact (regarding Blade Runner), that Ridley's representation of Los Angeles' bleak atmosphere also accounts for the personalities lacking a sense of identity. In other words, the setting kind of rubs off on the central characters of the film (e.g. the world has symbolically lost sight of its true identity, as has some of the characters).
wow, this could SO be true. i'm storing that info in my brain :) thanks!

meggo-meggo

HSC
But yes, how AWESOME is this comparative study? Finally, something so much better than belonging!

and blade and frankenstein are NOT weird. take a look at the scientific debates today. its all the same issues. these problems/concepts have existed since the ancients (see the intertextuality in frankenstein) and they're still continuing today. shelley and ridley scott use different modes of interpretation but they both capture the essence of these questions essential to mankind...
ahhh I love humanistic rants :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i like the study of the themes and techniques and all that.. but can anyone here honestly say that they've read Frankenstein without slightly dozing off?

lychnobity

HSC
i like the study of the themes and techniques and all that.. but can anyone here honestly say that they've read Frankenstein without slightly dozing off?
*hands up*

purplepapaya

HSC
I loved frankenstien and blad runner they were great! Iv ben told it's also really important to look at both of the texts in terms of context as in when they were created and what influenced them. Both texts use older techniques and influences to emphasise the themes and add to the general atmosphere of the stories. Frankenstin is also called the modern Prometheus and Mary shelleys husband wrote something important about Prometheus( sorry I can't be more accurate with the name I'm very tired) you should research the story of Prometheus and mention it in your essay as it's very relevant. Also shelly uses contrived archaic language kinda line Shakespearean English to give her story more solemnity and grandeur and extreme emotion. This is directly comparable to blade runner which is also inspired from an older source ( do androids dream of sheep, read it it's excellent!) the film is also an ammalgamation of 1940s 50s style film noir and sci fi. Deckard is a cliched black and White detective movie hardass cop drinking whiskey on the rocks and throughout the movie people are wearing old style fashions make up hair does furniture decoration so on do forth blah. That's just the tip of the iceberg but I typed this on an iPhone and I'm pooped now :)

Madusa

HSC
Also, how many times have you guys read and viewed the film? I've seen the film around four times and read the book twice, but apparently, a few of my peers have read it over five times already. What do you guys think?
I have watched the film about four times too, only one time I was concentrating really hard. And honestly I haven't read Frankenstein once. I've read about 10 pages all up and have an assessment due on Monday. I just SparkNoted it and I understand the whole gist and have lots to talk about in my assessment.

I think.

:uhoh:

Kirimi

HSC
You guys are lucky you get to watch it a few times. Our teacher absolutely REFUSES to show it to use again because he believes that "learning more about romanticism will help you gain a better understanding of your context!"...when Frankenstein already has a whole section about Shelley's life and the context in which she wrote in. Either way, i'm probably screwed for this essay as I missed out on the most important 1 hour of the film. I can't find any copies to rent or buy either, but thank god for notes.

But yeah, Blade Runner is a lot easier to understand than Frankenstein purely based on the language. But techniques wise i'm finding Frankenstein easier to interpret?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You guys are lucky you get to watch it a few times. Our teacher absolutely REFUSES to show it to use again because he believes that "learning more about romanticism will help you gain a better understanding of your context!"...when Frankenstein already has a whole section about Shelley's life and the context in which she wrote in. Either way, i'm probably screwed for this essay as I missed out on the most important 1 hour of the film. I can't find any copies to rent or buy either, but thank god for notes.

But yeah, Blade Runner is a lot easier to understand than Frankenstein purely based on the language. But techniques wise i'm finding Frankenstein easier to interpret?
eBay. Utilise it.

Got Blade Runner for about $8 (postage included).

Jessie12

HSC
i'm making notes on Bladerunner. i need to write 1 page on each social, cultural and historical context.

with direct evidence from the text (max of 5 examples)

identify technique used in quote and connect to context, themes and values.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!!!

someone please help me!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)