• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Franky and BR (1 Viewer)

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Just a quick question, for an exam how many ideas (playing god, etc) would you select and prepare for?

So far i have three currently prepared, just wondering if that would be sufficent, to suit all types of questions.

- Playing god and consequences
-Humanity and its meaning
-Nature vs. Nurture

Thanks in advance.

jamesfirst

HSC
That's basically it.

Remember to talk about the context as well

jamesfirst

HSC
I'll lay some out for you:

Context: Industrial revolution. Where it is the Age of reason (Science > God). May also related to Gothicism whereby the humans create the 'grotesque' (abnormal or monster)
Theme: Greed or ambition

- For this you can talk about how Frankenstein is the beginning of the human endeavour to scientific discovery and how it initally blinds them. BR can be the aftermath of human ambition. BR is post modernistic and dystopian society. Also they have failed to play God, which can be seen by the absence of nature in BR.

Context: Romanticism vs Post modernism (Kinda similar to the industrially revolution... but meh)
Theme: Creations are more human than human

- Both Roy and the Creature are exemplars of a much more virtuous character than humans. But make sure you relate it to romanticism (love of nature). Humans destroy the nature, as illustrated in BR. But Roy and Creature are very fond of the nature which shows the return of Romanticism. Doesn't this make them more 'human' than humans?

Context: ....Maybe the role of the feminist ? (although feminism didn't exist when Frankenstein was written, Shelley's mother was a 'feminist)
Theme: Moral corruption

- Frankenstein and Replicants are metaphorically relating to the role of the woman in the society. They are viciously rejected.

Frankenstein rejected his creation, which shows that he failed to play God (parent abandoning child = moral corruption)
Hence, the creations are more human than human.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I prepared 3, but if I had the time, and wasn't lazy I would have done a fourth one for safety, that's what most people in my year did.

Work on each concepts flexibility, like try and get each one to work as an example to prove heaps of concepts, that way you'll be fine for any question.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
I prepared 3, but if I had the time, and wasn't lazy I would have done a fourth one for safety, that's what most people in my year did.

Work on each concepts flexibility, like try and get each one to work as an example to prove heaps of concepts, that way you'll be fine for any question.
ok cheers mate. Yeah, i've looked at a lot of questions, and have seen that a lot of them ask about humanity. I've prepared the ideas, talking about context, relation to audiences, techniques etc, and will just use my understanding through reading/ or should i say watching the texts to shape it to questions.

The joys of english aye. Not.

K

khorne

Frankenrunner is fairly straightforward but. Off the top of my head, I can think of: meaning of humanity (what it means to be human), importance of nature, nature vs. nurture, effects of scientific development, female representation, hubris/ambition, parental responsibility. All of these could very easily be tied to context, which they should have. For Bladerunner, look at its film style (I forgot the word...hardgrit? (detective story) + film noir). Quite important, given film noir was a movement which you can argue, emphasised the individual. etc

oyuck

HSC
In order to have an in-depth analysis, you should choose two main ideas. For example, the collapse of morals and nature. Then explore for Frank and Blade.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
can you explain how this theme is evident in both texts please? :D
Im not entirely sure now, aha. Like, now im only focusing on 2 ideas - humanity's meaning, and playing god factor. But i suspect it relates to how the monster/replicants behaviour and nature is reflective upon there treatment.

Im not that great on English, so sorry i could not help that much. Im just bullshitting my way till i never have to do this crap subject again.

fakermaker

HSC
I'm pretty much just copying shit Nietzsche said 100 years ago and molding it to relate to both texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)