Freaking out about your exams? (1 Viewer)

First years: Freaked out about your exams?

• No, because I honestly don't care.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • No... but I should be.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Yes, because I know next to nothing about the course.

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Yes, but it's only standard pre-exam nervousness.

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters

cimbom

HSC
what971 said:
:(

I wish I was doing history, HSC was great fun compared to B/Commerce, I loved Modern and Ancient History. :(
what971... uni history is super hard and content- filled compared to HSC. As you can see- it's impossible to cover the readings etc. during the semester, and you're forced to do that in stuvac. As i am now forced to do so in govt1105. No matter how hard you try- it's close to impossible with assessments and other subjects to get each reading done each week. Isn't it just better to do maths in acct, ecmt and econ :) .

HSC
How are you going with geop cimbom? :)

I really feel I haven't learned anything in that subject all semester, and I'm not sure whether that's because the lectures/readings/tutorials have been useless or whether I haven't been paying attention...do you think we'll be expected to memorise who wrote each article in the reader for the short answer questions?

And about history - there is a lot of content to remember, but on the upside I think (hope?) the questions will be fairly broad so that we can direct our answers towards the content that we actually know.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i feel nothing, no urgency and no desire to study or even do the exams. i might turn up just to see everyone and pass the time. i'm bored.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
My advice? Just do the best you can do, then you can ask nothing more of yourself.

As far as I was aware, you need to achieve at least a pass in all of your assessments to pass the course. I thought that was a University-wide rule. But obviously not! :)
Actually I can't think of very many things were it is a rule at all. Needing to pass the exam, or get >50% in assignments (if marks are given to tutes etc) is typically a more common requirement.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Malfoy said:
Are you talking about Lyn or Julie? I loved Lyn; Julie not so much.

Which tute were you in? A Lyn, Julie, Catherine or other?

(I have a general idea of what's going on, but only for certain periods. Anything Crusades-related or church-related will be great, but anything about government or Vikings will make my brain explode.)
Catherine's tute. I thought Lynn was a bit needlessly discursive at times, and had way too much of a focus on maps and pretty pictures. The constant technical troubles were a bit of a pain too. I only attended a few of Julie's lectures, but I found I actually got quite a bit out of those (I remember the one on courtly love and knighthood in particular).

cimbom

HSC
Silver Persian said:
How are you going with geop cimbom? :)

I really feel I haven't learned anything in that subject all semester, and I'm not sure whether that's because the lectures/readings/tutorials have been useless or whether I haven't been paying attention...do you think we'll be expected to memorise who wrote each article in the reader for the short answer questions?

And about history - there is a lot of content to remember, but on the upside I think (hope?) the questions will be fairly broad so that we can direct our answers towards the content that we actually know.
It's crazy. For short answer I think just associate concepts with authors, for all the topics. Like those handouts we got in our wonderful (!) tutorials, explanation of Kaldor's 'new war theory' etc.

As you can remember from Diarmuid's lectures, he would open with alot of nothing about history and statistics- especially for the Cold War, movement of people and China topics. Alot of the content in the text 'globalisation of world politics' is also irrelevant. And since there were just so many readings for this course, and it's so broad, i think we can direct any question towards the content we know.

For the two essays, it will be on content from week5 onwards so basically i'm just preparing one on general concepts of nationalism/globalisation etc., and then one on terrorism/oil/china/us hegemony blah blah. It all crosses over. You could probably even skip topics you hate from week5 onwards and prepare short answer info rather than essay responses. I'm really more worried about ecop1001.

frootloop

HSC
Freaking out about exams?

Hell yes! :(

I was having trouble breathing last night and I felt like crying. My god I wasn't even this stressed during the HSC! Sure a tear (or a million) were shed a couple of times but I never had trouble breathing!

This is ridiculous! I only need to pass overall (so not even 50% for some of my exams) and I'm so scared I'm not even going to get that whereas in the HSC I expected nothing less than 90% for most of my subjects.

OMG. So much to memorise by tomorrow morning. I don't want to fail...:bomb:

adambra

HSC
I don't get it. I'm not really freaking out, although the stress thing is still there. Unfortunately the stress is just not translating into study as it used to. Last night I stayed home to study but instead watched The Legend of Zorro. I've done basically nothing for all of StuVAC but for some reason, just not caring that much. Might be because I just hate these commerce core subjects so much that failing them might confirm my thoughts that this degree is not for me. Regardless, I should have studied, yet didn't. We'll see what happens...

lala2

Banned
HSC
frootloop said:
Freaking out about exams?

Hell yes!

I was having trouble breathing last night and I felt like crying. My god I wasn't even this stressed during the HSC! Sure a tear (or a million) were shed a couple of times but I never had trouble breathing!

This is ridiculous! I only need to pass overall (so not even 50% for some of my exams) and I'm so scared I'm not even going to get that whereas in the HSC I expected nothing less than 90% for most of my subjects.

OMG. So much to memorise by tomorrow morning. I don't want to fail...
Yes! me too!

adambra said:
I don't get it. I'm not really freaking out, although the stress thing is still there. Unfortunately the stress is just not translating into study as it used to. Last night I stayed home to study but instead watched The Legend of Zorro. I've done basically nothing for all of StuVAC but for some reason, just not caring that much. Might be because I just hate these commerce core subjects so much that failing them might confirm my thoughts that this degree is not for me. Regardless, I should have studied, yet didn't. We'll see what happens...
Yes, most definitely! Maybe I just hate chemistry so much (why did I ever pick pharmacy? probably thinking chemistry would not be the hellhole it was for me in the HSC--REALLY wishful thinking to the max...dam...:() Probably failing it would confirm for me too that this degree is not for me. Definitely am not looking forward to release of results time....

tennille

HSC
Organic chemistry is pretty confusing- too much to remember. I can't wait till the end of tomorrow; I can forget all those mechanisms. :)

niteshade1312

HSC
Woohoo I'm glad most of my subjects tangle into eachother! But one exam is worth 55% and one 60% and Italian I think it's something little, like 20%

frootloop

HSC
lala2 said:
Yes! me too!

Yes, most definitely! Maybe I just hate chemistry so much (why did I ever pick pharmacy? probably thinking chemistry would not be the hellhole it was for me in the HSC--REALLY wishful thinking to the max...dam...:() Probably failing it would confirm for me too that this degree is not for me. Definitely am not looking forward to release of results time....
Haha... why did we pick pharmacy if we dislike chem so much? haha. so true.

ugh... results in the mail. No thanks. I just want to see P's next to each of my UoS's (on my monitor) and leave it at that. :hammer:

It'll be OK. I think Trevor said at the beginning of the semester that 99% passed last year... surely that means it's likely we will pass too? :uhhuh: Need to think positive! You can if you believe you can!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
cimbom said:
It's crazy. For short answer I think just associate concepts with authors, for all the topics. Like those handouts we got in our wonderful (!) tutorials, explanation of Kaldor's 'new war theory' etc.

As you can remember from Diarmuid's lectures, he would open with alot of nothing about history and statistics- especially for the Cold War, movement of people and China topics. Alot of the content in the text 'globalisation of world politics' is also irrelevant. And since there were just so many readings for this course, and it's so broad, i think we can direct any question towards the content we know.

For the two essays, it will be on content from week5 onwards so basically i'm just preparing one on general concepts of nationalism/globalisation etc., and then one on terrorism/oil/china/us hegemony blah blah. It all crosses over. You could probably even skip topics you hate from week5 onwards and prepare short answer info rather than essay responses. I'm really more worried about ecop1001.
I wouldn't worry so much abotu Ecop1001. I mean, of course study for it but don't freak out too much cos it's like 90 mins and you even get OPTIONS for S/A so if you get stuck, just answer the next. The essays also give you options so if you do enough reading of yoru lecture notes, you shoudl be able to blab off aenough to get a decent mark.

Geopolitics on the other hand...ha. Lol. Seriously, last year's exam was so random. The S/A questions were specific and for about 5/10 of the Q's, my reaction was like "Eh? the policy of WHO? In WHAT yr....FOR WHAT CONTINENT???" But maybe that's cos I didn't do the readings for the tutue :p

Beware that the essay questions sometimes makes reference to some person or their article. I think it was from the tute reader. I did the question but had no idea who the person I was writing about was or what they thought abotu China and globalisation :confused: lol. I got by with like 70 anyway so you should be fine :p

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
does anyone know the % of people who passed in eCMT, econ, acct last year? I need some re-assurance... :(

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
aww god nuts to this, b/commerce bullshit, does anyone know how i can apply for dentistry?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Tennille said:
Organic chemistry is pretty confusing- too much to remember. I can't wait till the end of tomorrow; I can forget all those mechanisms. :)
organic blows. But the mechanisms are kinda cool, compared to just memorising the whole thing

edit; damage inc, i have to compete with optom students :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I noticed for the mid-semester exams in econ, about ~45% of the total candidature failed. Surely they cant fail half of the students in a course? Do they scale the end of semster exams?

As for me, i'm not really freaking out, although i havent done nearly enough study, only really started to get into it in the last few days.
Not worrying at all for claw (D/HD), govt (D) , or ecop (C) . I'll fail econ for sure though.

what971: You can examine my teeth anyday :eek:

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
yeh i cried a lot during my study also. It was worth it. So relieved after the exam.

darkroomgirl

HSC
I thought I'd be crying at this point... surprisingly, no.

To the people beyond their first year at uni, are exams really that scary? I mean, I'm studying my notes right now and it seems as if I'm worrying over nothing after all.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
you people actually cry over this shit? lolz

you need to relax more

i'm fairly confident on the issues i have studied in ECOP all except institutionalism and some neo-classical views like what they think constitute crises, didn't even look that up because i only waited till today to cram for ecop lollers.

Oh well good luck to all the ECOPers for tommorow.

fucking i hate it how its so early i have to wake up at 6 20, leave here 7 15, catch a train at 7 40 grr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)