free stuff @ griffin theatre (1 Viewer)

dowser

i've heard that griffin theatre in sydney runs this amazing program for yr 11 and 12 students which gives us FREE access to productions in 2006 whenever we like and all kinds of FREE workshops on HSC topics, including discussions with louis nowra, michael gow etc. you get to meet them, and actors and directors etc.

it's called Griffin Ambassadors. Applications closed at end of last year, but i've heard that they'd be up for some new members in the program since it hasn't started yet.

www.griffintheatre.com.au and look under education. i just called them and they allowed me to apply late (and i got in). looks like a mad idea.

niteshade1312

HSC
dowser said:
i've heard that griffin theatre in sydney runs this amazing program for yr 11 and 12 students which gives us FREE access to productions in 2006 whenever we like and all kinds of FREE workshops on HSC topics, including discussions with louis nowra, michael gow etc. you get to meet them, and actors and directors etc.

it's called Griffin Ambassadors. Applications closed at end of last year, but i've heard that they'd be up for some new members in the program since it hasn't started yet.

www.griffintheatre.com.au and look under education. i just called them and they allowed me to apply late (and i got in). looks like a mad idea.
I've been an ambassador for the Griffin Theatre for the past two years (since it started) and it's an amazing opportunity where you egt to see New Australian Plays. I even used two of them for my IP last year. I don't think they will take any more applications, seeing as it closed at the end of last year, but it is a fantastic opportuntiy. So anyone that will be in Year 11 and 12 for next year, keep an eye out for it.

Griffin is also a great place to see new plays with great prices at $20 for under 30's... I think thats it. Anyhow, it's pretty cheap and easy to get to- a 5 second walk from Kings Cross Station.

My fav play was seen there!!

greenapple^0^

HSC
yeah~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) hahahaha i got in ,.... i heard dat place is a great place to get more tips for drama and i got in..i'm really glad dat i got in ~~~~happy~~~ hahaha.. well yeah .. i just have to say dat i got in ..

niteshade1312

HSC
It's a great experience, but I must say, the more you put in- ie asking questions anda ctually turning up to the plays, the more you get out of it.

Otherwise it is quite a waste of time!

super_fly5

HSC
dowser said:

Hello dowser. I was wondering when did you make that call?
I got in, but I really want my friend to come along, however she was a little too late and busy for her application. Hope you will enjoy Griffin as much as I did last year. Haha.

Okay, I felt as if no one turned up for the last matinee. Hmm.

niteshade1312

HSC
Super_fly5: Your friend might not be able to get into the program this year, but you can always take her along to shows with a cheaper rate. There is a special system at Griffin for friends of Ambassadors which I'm sure will still continue.

*BTW Dowser, it's not a membership program. You have to reapply each year and your "ambassador-ship" only lasts for a year.

super_fly5

HSC
Hm, I made a call this morning, confirming my place there but also hoping to strike some luck for my friend. Unfortunately, it's a complete no-no. They're not accepting anymore applicants- even precious year 12s for this year.

I was told that in the future the program might be expanding for university students. =)

niteshade1312

HSC
Personally I think I was able to get more out of the program in Year 11 because I had a lot more time on my hand, rather than in Year 12 where I missed going to the matinees and would have to find some other time. I didn't miss one!

I didnt think your friend would get in, but never mind. And that would be fantastic if they program was open to old students because I'd definatly be there supporting the company, not that I'm stopping anytime soon.

super_fly5

HSC
Damn, that must have sucked.
Did you do performance for your IP? I suppose watching these matinees and just about any performance would definitely come handy (especially for the inspiration).

niteshade1312

HSC
I was never going to do performance because I really enjoy writing and because I had plays at my hand, I decided to do critical analysis. Twas a better choice to do for my and balancing 2 pracs, it was wonderful being able to constantly work on it.

super_fly5

HSC
I wanted to do writing before.

In your opinion, would you consider writing to be safer than performance?

niteshade1312

HSC
I wouldn't say Drama was at all SAFE! I think the most important thing when doing your IP is to play to your strengths. The reason I did critical analysis was because I was constantly seeing plays from different companies, schools and theatres and also because I love criticising theatre.

In a performance (if I had done performance), I know that I would have done a piece that would allow me to show that I am more a dramatic actor with clear dictation, rather than a comedic act with an accent. (I suck at accents).

If you have any more questions about Drama Year 12, feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to help. And you know what, I've probably met you before at Griffin things, I was always there... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)