• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

free trade question (1 Viewer)

zelda

Why and how does the Australian government pursue policies to promote free trade?
What are the potential benefits to australia from free trade?

im not really sure how to approach these questions...can anyone give me some directions on how to answer these?

thanks! :D

grimreaper

HSC
Well basically Australia promotes free trade for the same reasons youve been learning from the beginning - to encourage efficient use of resources, promote innovation, get rid of inefficient industries, etc. There's also the fact that most of Australia's big good exports are part of the primary sector ie agriculture and mining. Most of the countries we export a lot too (eg usa and Japan) have high protection on agriculture, so we want them to open up their markets.

Australia does this by supporting global trade agreements, such as the WTO, entering regional agreements (eg APEC) and entering bilateral agreements (eg CERTA). You may want to include the recent agreement with the US, but apparently it wasnt too successful in reducing agricultural protection so I dunno.

zelda

o0o thanks grimreaper and pandorash...i think i know what to write about now :)
but if theres anymore replies that would cool

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)