free UMAT questions (1 Viewer)

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to post up 2 questions similar to the UMAT, one question from section 1 and 2 each day. Each time I post up the questions for the day I will also post up the answers of the previous day.

Question 1

An international conference on the development of the world's undersea resources has proposed that all future use of these resources through undersea mining, harvesting of food in international waters, or other forms of development be subject to an international tax, to be set at a fixed percentage of the profits. The revenues from this tax would be used to support industrial development in the poorest nations of the world. This scheme, if adopted, will probably halt all future development of undersea resources. By removing the profit incentive, the proposed tax will discourage industrial nations from making the investments needed to exploit these valuable but remote undersea resources.

Which of the following questions would be most relevant in evaluating the validity of the conclusion reached above?

a) What percentage of the profits from exploitation of undersea resources would be taken by the proposed tax?

b) What position has been taken on the issue of the tax by representatives of nations that would benefit and not benefit from the tax?

c) What definition of international waters will be used for purposes of the tax?

d) What international agency would have the responsibility for assessing the tax and redistributing the revenues?

Question 2

Edward Jones and his wife Sophie go to see a genetic counsellor about their decision to have a baby. Both Edward and Sophie carry a gene that causes haemophilia, a blood disease. If they have the baby, there is a significant chance it will have the disease. They have been told of this, have discussed it with their families and decided they want to try for a baby. They inform the counsellor of their decision. Hospital policy requires the counsellor to once again explain to them the risk that their baby may have haemophilia. When the counsellor does so, Edward gets very angry and tells the counsellor that he has been told numerous times that his baby may have haemophilia. He says it is clear the counsellor does not want them to have the baby.

The counsellor would most likely feel
a) Angry

b) Ashamed

c) Powerless

d) Judged

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Try explaining why the answer is what you think it is.

qwerty44

HSC
He feels he is judged because he was just following protocol and the man jumped to a conclusion that he doesn't want them to have the baby. He is judging him without knowing why the counsellor is saying what he is saying.

I'm only starting year 11 and have never done these so forgive me if I'm way out.

mike12345678

HSC
i think for question 1 the answer is B. this is because one of the main things they are trying to do is remove the exploitation of countries for their resources. and through the benefits and not benefiting would relate to the counties to which the international tax is given to.

i think the answer for question 2 is D (judged). this is because the counsellor is only doing her job but the man believes she/he is attempting to deter the family from having a baby,

thanks for doing this OP :)

qwerty44

HSC
For the first one I say B.
The conclusion states that industrial nations would not want to invest into exploiting such resources without the profit incentive. I believe that would be a conclusion of the answer to question B.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
Is it concerning that I don't understand what the first paragraph is about? I find it very confusing.

For the Second Question I choose D.

It's like ordering a pizza over the phone. If you had to repeat your order 6 times, you'd be extremely pissed off. Oh the other hand the person who is taking your order can't hear you because there is too much background noise. Of course, you've been starving for 2 days and all you care about is getting the food to your door. Irrationality kicks in and you start to blame the worker for poor customer service. The worker therefore feels wrongly judged because he/she has done nothing wrong except doing the best they can to serve you.

SunnyScience

HSC
I was wondering if you could just post all the questions your have, or possibly pm me them :/? I really want to do well in the umat, but can't afford to buy practice questions =_="

MW4521

HSC
N/A
question 2 can also be C, because he HAD to say it due to the policy....ugh, i hate it when i cant make up a decision

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
is question 2...D?
choosing between C or D...
It is not so much whether you get the question right or wrong at this stage but the reasons you chose your answers.

He feels he is judged because he was just following protocol and the man jumped to a conclusion that he doesn't want them to have the baby. He is judging him without knowing why the counsellor is saying what he is saying.

I'm only starting year 11 and have never done these so forgive me if I'm way out.
Although you are starting year 11, practice is practice and any practice can only make you better.

i think for question 1 the answer is B. this is because one of the main things they are trying to do is remove the exploitation of countries for their resources. and through the benefits and not benefiting would relate to the counties to which the international tax is given to.

i think the answer for question 2 is D (judged). this is because the counsellor is only doing her job but the man believes she/he is attempting to deter the family from having a baby,

thanks for doing this OP :)
No worries, I'm only trying to return the kindness given to me. I would suggest you rethink the reasons for your answer. With these questions, start from the bare minimum and move upwards. Summarise what they are doing in 1 sentence so you know their point of view.

For the first one I say B.
The conclusion states that industrial nations would not want to invest into exploiting such resources without the profit incentive. I believe that would be a conclusion of the answer to question B.
Why do they think they are losing their profit incentive in the first place?

Is it concerning that I don't understand what the first paragraph is about? I find it very confusing.

For the Second Question I choose D.

It's like ordering a pizza over the phone. If you had to repeat your order 6 times, you'd be extremely pissed off. Oh the other hand the person who is taking your order can't hear you because there is too much background noise. Of course, you've been starving for 2 days and all you care about is getting the food to your door. Irrationality kicks in and you start to blame the worker for poor customer service. The worker therefore feels wrongly judged because he/she has done nothing wrong except doing the best they can to serve you.
Break it up and try and identify the main points in the paragraph. What are they doing? How will they do it? Who will be affected?

Your thought process for the second question is very clear. You understood the problem so well that you could provide an alternate related scenario. If you can do this with each problem then the answer will become a lot easier. However, don't fall into the trap of making assumptions that may be logically deduced but cannot be proved. However, you are much better than I was when I was in your position.

I was wondering if you could just post all the questions your have, or possibly pm me them :/? I really want to do well in the umat, but can't afford to buy practice questions =_="
If you really want to do well then the manner in which I present the questions should not matter. =)

It is good to see that people are taking this seriously.

Last edited:

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
question 2 can also be C, because he HAD to say it due to the policy....ugh, i hate it when i cant make up a decision
There are invariably answers which contest each other on their merits but you need to learn to see with a fine eye which one has the most weight in evaluating the validity of the conclusions.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I meant to say that I seriously do no understand anything in that paragraph.

-who pays for the international tax?
-why is the international tax needed?
-where do the profits come from?
-if the scheme goes ahead why are all future developments halted?
-are the profits given to the countries that pay the tax?

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
An international conference on the development of the world's undersea resources has proposed that all future use of these resources through undersea mining, harvesting of food in international waters, or other forms of development be subject to an international tax, to be set at a fixed percentage of the profits. The revenues from this tax would be used to support industrial development in the poorest nations of the world. This scheme, if adopted, will probably halt all future development of undersea resources. By removing the profit incentive, the proposed tax will discourage industrial nations from making the investments needed to exploit these valuable but remote undersea resources.

What I cut out:

Bringing a highlighter into the UMAT helps because you can highlight key information.

I hope it becomes clearer to you now. I think you are looking too much into the detail. Although integral to success in the UMAT you need to first understand the main point of the passage before moving on to the details (i.e. your questions)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

What I cut out:

Bringing a highlighter into the UMAT helps because you can highlight key information.

I hope it becomes clearer to you now. I think you are looking too much into the detail. Although integral to success in the UMAT you need to first understand the main point of the passage before moving on to the details (i.e. your questions)
Way to highlight the key points by changing them to a colour that's even harder to read lol

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Read the parts not highlighted, I intend for you to read the parts you could read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)