Frequent Flyer Programs (1 Viewer)

5233andy

HSC
What's your experience with such programs? What do you spend your miles on?

Most important of all, is it worthwhile joining?

Merry Christmas

rozymisty

HSC
Well ive first signed up to Velocity and got enough points for 2 lots of return flights to um Sydney and Melbourne i think...cant remember to be honest what i spent the points on.

I just recently signed up for the Qantas one, obviously wont have points with them for ages yet.

I have to say though that now a days im finding Qantas to be as economical as flying with Virgin. I still like Virgin but hm when now you have to pay $8 for baggage, ive seen qantas has been cheaper/same price as virgin, plus you get a meal.

My fav airline so far is air new zealand..hehe love their new ad! You cant help but laugh when you get on the plane and watch that ad, or just listen to it hehe

aussie-boy

HSC
At the lowest level of membership, each long haul flight to London or New York will get you enough points for 1 domestic flight to Melbourne, Brisbane or Canberra.

Domestic flights generally earn a flat rate of 1000 points, or 1/8 of a free domestic flight.

However, Qantas' fares are usually higher than competitors by a greater margin than the cost of a separate domestic ticket.

So unless there is some reason that you have to fly with Qantas, it's really not worth it.

It's more designed for businesspeople travelling in premium cabins who accrue sufficient status credits to gain access to the lounges - it's definitely awesome having platinum frequent flyers in the family

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Dont forget with Velocity you earn points based around fare price, rather than miles flown. Other way around for Qantas. Based on miles and fare bucket when flying VAustralia though.

Pros to Velocity:
-Free
-When Virgin releases sales, Velocity redemption fares are also on sale. Ie- MEL-SYD 5000 points all inclusive. Keep an eye out, there are sometimes hidden specials. Plus say Virgin have dropped the price of some flights, the Velocity flight will also be lower. Keep an eye out on sales and then check the Velocity site to see how much they want.
-Can earn on Pacific Blue, VAustralia, Emirates, Malaysian and the list goes on.
-Pay part points/cash
-If you join now, and can still claim flights flown in the past (set timeframe though)
-Quicker progression to Silver/Gold than the QF system.
-Lounges are never as full as the Qantas ones!

I think you can still join QFF for free via Woolies Everyday Rewards card?

I am a Velocity member and have 20,000 points. My return VAustralia flight to LAX gained me enough points for a sale MEL-SYD. But it does depend on the fare bucket. Ie-My Flight was a "V Promo" flight which accrues only 25% of the full price Economy Mileage, mainly because the fare was only $900 return. If I flew Qantas I would have got piles more points, but in the end I need more points for redemptions.

5233andy

HSC
I bloody regret not signing up to Qantas' Frequent Flyer program, two years ago, when I, including four other family members, flew with QF from SYD to JFK.

I'm flying Virgin Atlantic to LHR in a few weeks. My ticket is N class... thus I'd only receive 50% of the full mileage of a regular Y class ticket. I thought it would've been futile joining Flying Club... seeing that ~5000 points would get me no where... and VS only flies from Sydney to HKG and LHR, no where else, from Australia. However, after visiting their site, they're offering 100% mileage. Being in a family of five, you'd assume that 50,000 points would get something, at the very least... a bottle of el cheapo wine... Their frequent flyer rewards are horribly limited and oddly enough, VS points cannot be transferred to DJ, despite being under the Virgin group.

Yes, it's free, but I don't know whether the hassle is worthwhile.

rozymisty

HSC
I got a really strange email from Velocity on Friday 13th saying that I got free upgrade to gold class and free access to the lounge etc etc, but i had to earn like 50k points...i was like huh? Then i read the next email which revealed that was a fake.

Pretty good that we can use Velocity for emirates, didnt think youd be able to! They have really cheap Bris-Auckland return tickets at the moment until tmw for like $340!! CHEAPPPP wish i had spare money..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm on the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. I signed up after they initiated the Direct Earn program (i.e. where you can't just accrue points on your credit card and transfer them). Whilst it costs me $20 a year on my Citibank platinum card, it's worthwhile considering the amount I spend on my card (i.e. everything from a 50c soft cone at McDonalds to my $5k deposit on my car). TBH I haven't redeemed the points yet because there's nothing I really want and unlike other programs, there's no expiry. One added benefit of this program however is that the points can be redeemed for other goods/services other than just flights- only catch is the price of these other goods/services can be disproportionately high especially if the good/service was originally very expensive and has since dropped in price but the Qantas catalogue won't have reduced their price.

cabso1

HSC
If you do get on a FF program, try and stick to the same airline all the way through. For example, if you get on the Qantas program, they're Oneworld so you can fly British Airways and Cathay and whatnot and still earn miles or points.
Always pays to fly the same airline/alliance so that you accumulate miles faster and rise through the ranks. Gold cards in FF programs are always useful, you get extra baggage and lounge access (a godsend when you're stuck in an airport like Bangkok for 10 odd hours in the night)!

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
Being in a family of five, you'd assume that 50,000 points would get something, at the very least... a bottle of el cheapo wine...

Yes, it's free, but I don't know whether the hassle is worthwhile.
That's another thing with QF - the person who flies gets the points, not the person who pays. Great if your company is paying, but not good for FF parents paying for their kids.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Forgot another great thing you can do... DOUBLE DIP.

Some merchants accept QF cards to earn double points or whatever just by spending there... but if you also happen to use a credit card linked to a scheme, you can get heaps more points. I know it sounds cheap/lame but hey, it's a benefit and if you don't use it, you're still essentially paying for it (i.e. your air fare isn't going to become cheaper).

louy

HSC
N/A
I get BA miles whenever I fly with any carrier that is within the one world alliance.
I signed up to it when I was living in UK. But now I am the other side of the world I am unlikely to use any of those miles.

Wasted

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Like others have pointed out, airline alliances make up the main advantages. E.g. I recently joined up with Lufthansa's Miles and More because I'm going around the world with Lufthansa+United+Singapore and this will hopefully earn heaps of points as they're all Star Alliance carriers. Although when I get back I can't use them on any Australian airline (Ansett was Star, but, yeah), whereas I could if i went with oneworld.

Velocity is good, my dad just transfers his AMEX points to velocity and flies everywhere for free pretty much. And I have only taken three trips since i joined them in 2007 but i almost have enough points for Launceston-Sydney. There have been rumours about VB joining SkyTeam, which would be good (Delta, Air France/KLM, China Airlines etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)