.: 23 x 10 x 0.4 - 0.4 x P x sin 30 = P x cos 30

.: P = (0.4 x 230)/(0.4 sin30 + cos 30) = 86.30188 ... Newtons

The basic idea is: Friction = Coefficient of Friction x Normal Reaction

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Not mine ->
Just want to say that this is an absolutely disgusting way of solving a basic friction question. It's not intuitive and doesn't assist struggling students in demonstrating what is going on.

I can provide another method if needed (basically what Drongoski has above with a FBD).

mandog97

HSC
Just want to say that this is an absolutely disgusting way of solving a basic friction question. It's not intuitive and doesn't assist struggling students in demonstrating what is going on.

I can provide another method if needed (basically what Drongoski has above with a FBD).
Yeah I never do that. Could you show me your way of doing it? Thanks

keepLooking

HSC

It isn't my method and I surely haven't found a method that is considered more intuitive, I would appreciate if you could provide another method!

mandog97

HSC
It isn't my method and I surely haven't found a method that is considered more intuitive, I would appreciate if you could provide another method!
I got it. Do you have a copy of Copeland (pg. 94/95)? It goes through friction questions really well, particularly this type.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
There is nothing to it:

The block moves when the horizontal component of P (i.e. P x cos 30) exceeds the maximum friction (= the normal reaction x coeff of friction}; about to slide when the two are equal. This latter was what my original post expressed.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah I never do that. Could you show me your way of doing it? Thanks
I know it's not your method, I even quoted the part where you said that.

It's how you set up the solution that makes it more intuitive, not the actual solution itself. A basic Free Body Diagram will make all the difference: http://puu.sh/kj2Us/afec99c63e.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)