frigey and the cops (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Jonathan A said:
They don't have to tell you anything. Whether one thinks its a nice thing to do or not, that's not the role of the police officer. If frigey has a complaint, he should take it up with the police station.
Actually, it is a role of the Police officer. Don't be all legalist with the idea of them, they're professional people too. Everytime I've talked to one, they're nice to me because I'm nice to them. No law says they have to be nice, but they are.

If you want to play all 'the law says!' you're turning our country into more of a silly legal bureaucracy.

Knowing Wen, I'd say he was nice to that one, so I don't see the harm of them telling him what they were doing. Making a complaint shows that something's wrong with the individual officer when they could have spend 10 seconds of their time to explain what they were doing.

{edit} That being said, they DO have to tell you what they're doing most of the time. They can't arrest you or bring you in for questioning without telling you why. They can't come in to your house without telling you why. They can't search you without telling you why. Even a simple explanation with the latter like 'We're doing random searched tonight' suffices.

I would bet that the cop did have to tell Wen what he was doing and why; even something as short as 'It's new policy to photograph the cards because of evidence reasons' or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan A

HSC
PwarYuex said:
{edit} That being said, they DO have to tell you what they're doing most of the time. They can't arrest you or bring you in for questioning without telling you why. They can't come in to your house without telling you why. They can't search you without telling you why. Even a simple explanation with the latter like 'We're doing random searched tonight' suffices.

I would bet that the cop did have to tell Wen what he was doing and why; even something as short as 'It's new policy to photograph the cards because of evidence reasons' or something.
And so just because they need to tell you what's going on most of the time, they need to tell you all the time?

santaslayer

HSC
If Wen Wen asked why the license was being photographed, I'm sure the police would of had to provide a reasonable answer. I don't think it would be correct if the police did not provide sufficent reasoning. It's not like they thought Frig was a terrorist and used some radical legislation on him which stripped him of basic rights.

frigid, u didn't ask did u? :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
frigid, u didn't ask did u? :p
nah. you tend to worry about your legal entitlements after the incident. :p

all i could put up at the time was that i honestly and reasonably believed my driving lights were on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)