From School > to > Uni (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Was it a BIG change from High School to University??

What was different in your case?

Is the workload much heavy than Year 12?

Do you like your Uni

Basically i wanna get a general idea.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha...I guess u need to experience this for yourself dude.

My comments..
There wasn't a drastic change...I went to a co-ed school and all, and I was pretty friendly with all my teachers. Simple differences...uni is a LOT bigger...longer walks to class, more people around the place, LOTS of cafes n such to waste time at, hehe. In terms of classes...the biggest thing to get used to is to not sleep in lectures, believe me its hard. Tutorials are different too in a way, since your tutors are usually Honours or Masters students, so u feel quite comfortable in those classes.

Workload - u can make it more or less than HSC, its up to u. Overall, the work is less, depending on your degree though. In commerce, its much less, but theres more stress at exam time. If u aim for Pass, u can do no work all semester and cram for the exams...if u aim for D's and HD's the workload over the semester will be similar to the HSC, ongoing.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
ahh..don't forget about trying to actually stay MOTIVATED for the entire uni session...cos that feels harder than in high school

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think eveyone will have different experiences depending on their course...but for me:

---In some ways yes, in others no...

----Much more work, much more money, more responsibility, much less time! Time flies very fast at UNI. The good thing is that there is no nagging, a lot more freedom, and no bitchiness.

---YES! Much heavier workload, and harder. It is impossible to pass without hard work. A lot of my friends failed subjects, and they are no dummies.

Do you like your Uni
----Nope, my campus is a hell-hole!

The basic key to UNI is to get organised right away, set higher standards for yourself than at hight school, and don't let yourself fall behind, because there is no time to catch up. If you do that, then it's fine. If not-have fun repeating next year!

Last edited:

qkrtjdxo

HSC
Butterfly_Wings: which UNI do you go to? and what course? if you don't mind me asking :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Not really... it's more like just a continuation, the next stage of learning.

It's all upto you to do the work, theres nobody on your back making sure you know when assignments are due etc. More social interaction due to cafes, university bars etc and having the choice of whether you go to your lecture or stay back with your friends.... it's upto you to learn.

Yes, but it's like the difference between Yr10 and Yr11, you think, whoa hhow much more work but you just adjust to it and find it easier as it goes.

Do you like your Uni
Yep, great atmosphere and great facilities

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn

Do you like your Uni

1 - big change...yes and no. It's different for everyone. I went to a small school and only 6 ppl from my grade went to my uni (none in ym course), so I was pretty overwhelmed at first by how many many different wonderful ppl there were to meet :p

2 - Like has been said - workload is what you make of it. I spose its different from hsc in that there's less pressure. If you stuff up a subject, so what. its one subject. Its not like hsc where if u stuff up a subject it drags everything else down.

As for liking uni - its what you make of it. I have some friends who go there and go home. they haven't made any new friends or tried anything new - and not surprisingly can't wait to finish. I personally, nerd as i am, absolutely love uni. much more freedom than school - lots of ppl to meet, lots of different things to do..seriously there are so many clubs, societies, parties, events etc u could be doing like 2 things every nite and still not try everything!

Things i had to get used to:
1 - There not really being a "grade" per se...tho it does feel as though all first years know each other somehow - soooo many random connections
2 - added travel time. From a 10min drive to school to a 1hr drive-train-walk to uni, its tiring.
3 - uni is like a mini-city. I still love how i can go to the travel agent, do my banking, get stationary and get yummy food during my breaks
4 - the lack of responsibility to anyone. it's a bit weird at first not having lecturers/tutors really *care* that much about the individual. Like they'll answer ur q's but u're a nameless individual amonst thousands (for lecturers). They won't necessarily remind u about assignments etc like they did at school.
5 - the diversity of ppl and their interests. It was rather cool but strange at first how politicised the campus (and so many ppl) were, and also the types of things ppl do that well, never would have occured to me to do

Last edited:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah, it was pretty big, but not as big as for some coz i went to a couple of different high schools. i felt sorry for the people who had been at one school their whole lives, coz it must have been harder for them

the travel time! thats the main thing, but the type of work u have to do, and the amount to be done at home is different, uni is more stressful for exams, but less stressful during semester, you have heaps of breaks and more things to do and places to go in your breaks.
Its harder to find stuff out, like about assignments and stuff if u have questions, sometimes u dont even get assignments back, so u dont know how u can imrove for next time, which is annoying. THERE IS NO SPOON FEEDING!!! - MAJOR CHANGE!!!!!
uni was horrible at first, but it kinda grows on you, especially when u get to know most of the people in your year and course (my course is much like a "grade" at school, but yeah, i agree with bw - theres no bitchiness which is nice.

for me, yes, because i needed a distinction average, which is bloody hard when u r competing against people who all got high UAI's. but u can pass with a minimal amount of work as long as u study for exams.

Do you like your Uni
like i said, it grew on me. at first, i didnt have a "group" like in high school, but then I got one, and its nice to run into people all over campus that u know. I love the freedom, but i really hate the travelling, and the hike to redfern in the heat (like today, ick) so yeah, i'll be back next year. i dont think i could go back to a school type environment after experiencing the freedom of uni.

heres a hint - if u can get a second years notes and exams ans assesments and stuff, u'll be set, most of my lecturers didnt change much, and the exams are pretty much the same year to year, i'm gonna hand all my stuff down to a new first year, coz i know how helpful it could be. (i'm doing animal science btw)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
In University, say business or commerce degree is there alot of small books that can be used as reference book? for example how economics has excel books for reference is that same case in Uni, or do you just get big thick gay textbooks?

So say, would 2 or 3 hrs a night be fair enuff to achieve good grades in Uni and are the essay's much harder in terms of marking?

I really want to get into Wollongong now :) *dreaming lol*

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
conclusion: yeah what minai said. it's incredibly different for each individual.

personally i find uni a shitload harder than the hsc, 'cos i didn't work very hard during the hsc, and i'm doing a practical course which requires me to churn out new designs every week.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
Yeah it depends on ur degree that u do to determine whether the work load is more, especailly if u do a double degree.
so for double degree, the workload/study hours is more than that of hsc? :(

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
it dependddddds on the double degree course
like e.g arts/fine arts wouldn't be as hectic as med/arts or something

why do people always ask such vague questions man!

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
so for double degree, the workload/study hours is more than that of hsc? :(

well, at the moment the workload / study hours are :( but generally it is less mid semester...however uni has an awful tendancy of going to shit towards the end of semester.........oh i am a bitter old man. In reality its probably not that all that bad (or bad at all) but stress brings out my inner bitch

Generator

HSC
N/A
The workload of a double degree is no more than that of a single degree, and in any case it depends upon the individual and the subjects that they have chosen.
The only real problem is when you have a number of assessments due at the same time (which is normal for any degree) and you decide to relegate subjects to the background based on their relevance to the current degree of the double... Well, that's what I did once this semester.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by qkrtjdxo
Butterfly_Wings: which UNI do you go to? and what course? if you don't mind me asking :)
Speech pathology, at the Cumberland campus of Sydney UNI.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC

So say, would 2 or 3 hrs a night be fair enuff to achieve good grades in Uni and are the essay's much harder in terms of marking?

I think marking standards are WAY harder at UNI. At high school, if I got 18+ out of 20 for an essay I'd just shrugg, put it away, and be content. At UNI, if I ever got 18/20 for an essay I'd practically cartwheel out of the room!

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
In University, say business or commerce degree is there alot of small books that can be used as reference book? for example how economics has excel books for reference is that same case in Uni, or do you just get big thick gay textbooks?

I really want to get into Wollongong now :) *dreaming lol*
Yes, UOW Commerce has big fat gay textbooks which cost too much money for how much you use them, when you start forking out $60 a book that you'll look at twice all semester, you tend to have thoughts like throwing your book at your lecturer or back through the unishop window... A lot of the references come from online as UOW has a huge E-Library... http://www.library.uow.edu.au/ ... have a look, you'll rely a lot on the online databases and journals... which makes 3am essay rush jobs so much easier than having to find and borrow books.

2 or 3 hours.... that'd be quite sufficent.... mostly, as long as you get your tutorial work done, you'll get decent marks... it's just a case of getting your work done rather than having set amount of study time. Essays.... the marking scale is harder than school but you adjust, just like moving from Yr10 to Yr11...

Last edited:

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I think marking standards are WAY harder at UNI. At high school, if I got 18+ out of 20 for an essay I'd just shrugg, put it away, and be content. At UNI, if I ever got 18/20 for an essay I'd practically cartwheel out of the room!

Agree!!!!!

The worst thing I hate about essays, especially law, is if you do a really good response the lecturer will give u Credit ..

Thats the good thing about accounting subjects - there is only one right answer, and they have to give full marks if u r correct...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey lazy korean i thought u wanted to do property economics at UTS? what do u intend on doing at wollongong?

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
hey lazy korean i thought u wanted to do property economics at UTS? what do u intend on doing at wollongong?
Business or Commerce was my first thing don't think i can get the UAI but theres plenty of ways to get around it, property economics sounded interested due to real estate and its property boom but i heard it is tedious with endless amount of work and itself it is 4 years, STUFF THAT lol i change my mind alot but i now want to stick with business or commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)