• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Frontline - related texts The Office and Liar Liar (1 Viewer)

mjrogers89

HSC
Hey, i think for my related texts i'm DEFINITELY doing The Office, but would you say the film Liar Liar is a bad choice to relate??, i was thinking that in Liar Liar Jim Carey changes the truth to keep the pople around him happy and to keep everything simple, while frontline reporters change the truth to make stories more interesting and change them to form a truth that the people want to believe to be true, and David Brent in the office changes the truth to make the business he works in look like a very efficient, respectful friendly business, while in frontline off-air and Behind the david brent interview scenes, we see that it is all not as true as its cracked up to be?.. any pointers? anyone else done these three together... i was thinking Real Stories on Channel 10 as a backup?

Thanks heaps

Last edited:

lixt07

HSC
i'm pretty sure that your related texts can't be of the same type as the prescribed text... ie no 'current affairs' programs...

could be wrong, but that's what i've been told

mjrogers89

HSC
so you mean Real Stories i prob shouldnt use?... i dunno what to do with liar liar, i can relate the office and frontline perfectly but i could only use the "lying for personal gain or to keep people happy" thing and then show how the office does that and frontline as well

mjrogers89

HSC
I'm now sticking with:
-Frontline, - especially, playing the ego card, The siege maybe another 2 episodes
-The Office (UK)
-Thank You For Smoking (Film)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I think for this topic it's actually better to link the techniques being used rather than their actual effect. For example, both The Office and Frontline are done in a documentary style. All of the texts are visual and so can use framing, etc. Stuff like that rather than the actual truth they portray.

I think that's the main focus of the module, anyway. Basically you're looking at the way truth is constructed in texts rather than the actual truth that is constructed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)