• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Frontline (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Most that i practiced with revolved around "what is truth", "who controls the truth"(i.e questions on the power of the truth/who has the power) and the difference between representation/misrepresentation - and what is the purpose of manipulating the truth.

Other than that i don't really know. You have more access to questions than i did because i only had 2001/2002 trial papers you have 2001/2002/2003 trial papers.

Skim through this thread, i think i've covered a fair bit of the course and the kinds of questions/answers you'll confront :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Most that i practiced with revolved around "what is truth", "who controls the truth"(i.e questions on the power of the truth/who has the power) and the difference between representation/misrepresentation - and what is the purpose of manipulating the truth.

Other than that i don't really know. You have more access to questions than i did because i only had 2001/2002 trial papers you have 2001/2002/2003 trial papers.

Skim through this thread, i think i've covered a fair bit of the course and the kinds of questions/answers you'll confront :p
hmm...thanx, coz i am trying to write a general essay, which i can memorise, but i didn't know much abt this module to start with.:(

hey, also as u mentioned on another post, whats extensialism?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Power structure ---> Who determines what truth is presented?

The interesting thing about the power structure is that the viewer is both at the top *AND* bottom of the chain of power.

Consider this: The viewer is fed a distorted/manipulated truth based on what the producers tell the reporters to emphasise. This is based on what those in power want (i.e big business like telecom or banks, or the politicians like John Howard's puff piece).

However, in another twisted way, it is the viewer who has the power. What are they all aiming to achieve? *RATINGS*. What are ratings? People watching! Thus the truth presented, on one level, is merely the truth the viewers want to see. Cheryl kernot pieces about family rather than politics, sex & sport ("sex rates, sport rates, put the two together you've got dynamite"), danger (the siege....) etc etc...think of ur own examples.
i wa trying to explain that in one of my essays!!! i don't know if it came out right though

N

ND

Originally posted by freaking_out
hey, also as u mentioned on another post, whats extensialism?
Don't worry about it for this module, she was having a joke about my comment. If you still want to know, do a search at google or something, there'd be alot of info.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Don't worry about it for this module, she was having a joke about my comment. If you still want to know, do a search at google or something, there'd be alot of info.
lol, ok as long as its not in the syllabus, i don't care what it is.:D

timmii

sporadic attendee
I apologise for trying to be funny. I didn't mean to scare you! I'll refrain from any humourous references in the future...:p

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by iambored
i wa trying to explain that in one of my essays!!! i don't know if it came out right though
It's good u picked it up. If you want to post ur essays I can look at them if u want. Anything to procrastinate me actually doing *my* work ;) :p :D

Naji

what do u mean by representation/misrepresentation timmii?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, sorry for my ignorane, but who exactly is the composer of frontline, i mean for my assessment, i put "Rob Sitch", but my teacher changed that and put "Rob Sitch et al"....is that his name or does "et al" means somethin' else?:confused:

Naji

et al means 'and others'... it was a group of people but theres no point to waste ur time and write all their names down

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Naji
what do u mean by representation/misrepresentation timmii? [/B]
In your response you should consider to what extent is the truth being presented, actually being misrepresented? Understand that there is a fineline between an objective presentation of a story/personality/event and a subjective distortion of it, so that a "truth" is being presented, but it's been manipulated such that u could call it being "misrepresented".

My personal favourite for this line of questioning was in WAGD, how they show the footage of the catwalk that was supposed to be about the exploitation of women in the fashion industry, and then use a voiceover to show how flourishing the australian industry is...Both are true - its the presentation of the footage that makes the difference...hehe the whole series is practically about this, so find other examples! :p

Leanne

HSC
well, this thread has certainly helped wiv my studying! thanx guys!! :)

and i thought that the telling the truth module was easy...lol.....but i think i'll just have to watch the frontline episodes again to refresh my memory........damn :p

Dangar

wow timmii you're awesome, i can practically make all my notes from your answers. Thanks so much!!

Would i be better off using extra material about someone that manipulated the truth, or an article that has actually manipulated the truth itself? Because with the second one i guess i could talk more about techniques and stuff but i can't find any, i mean how are you supposed to be able to tell whether it's actualy manipulated the truth or not, because as the audience you can't tell right?

timmii

sporadic attendee
hehehe *ego inflated* :shy:

Originally posted by Dangar
Would i be better off using extra material about someone that manipulated the truth, or an article that has actually manipulated the truth itself? Because with the second one i guess i could talk more about techniques and stuff but i can't find any, i mean how are you supposed to be able to tell whether it's actualy manipulated the truth or not, because as the audience you can't tell right?
It's hard to answer that without more details...Use which ever one you're most comfortable with and most complements what you're trying to say about the truth/frontline. IF you can't easily identify the techniques of the article manipulating the truth, its probably not worthwhile using it, however if you can identify them and integrate it well with your answer you should use it. Otherwise the other article is probably better :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Dangar
wow timmii you're awesome,
i agree!!!!

i think with all the eng essays there is a lot to consider in a 40min essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)