Fuel Consumption (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
aahahahahahaha 99.3? how the hell did you manage that? redlining it and slipping the clutch so you rolled along at 1k?

EDIT: with cruise control on? lol
Hahaa nah it's just an anomaly in the way it's calculated. If you start your engine and leave it running but you don't move the car, in theory your fuel consumption for L per 100km becomes infinite. All I had done was start my car in the morning whilst waiting for it to warm up a bit and defrost the windows.

And cruise control is on but not active. I always found my Lancer a bit counterintuitive compared to the Civic whereby you have cruise control on/off, and then another dash light to tell you if it's currently engaged/active. The Lancer kinda cheaper out and considering it has a (big enough) LCD screen, surely they could've popped up a message or something on there.

HSC
i got 99 in a bf falcon ute

semi auto leave it in 1st and stomp the throttle as hard as i can, with a full load

Grape juice

HSC
75 Litres gets me about 350-380Km

Thats about 19.7Litres /100Km.:(

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic.

EDIT:
Besides, the car tells me the consumption on an overhead screen. In economy mode, (ie. no aircon) it runs 12Litres/100Km

walkahz

HSC
I get about 12L/100km around town Vr commodore wagon not too bad really considering its a big heavy car. I havent been on a decent highway trip yet to see highway but should get 9 i hope

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
75 Litres gets me about 350-380Km

Thats about 19.7Litres /100Km.:(

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic.

EDIT:
Besides, the car tells me the consumption on an overhead screen. In economy mode, (ie. no aircon) it runs 12Litres/100Km
Way to reinforce the stereotype that SUVs are gas guzzlers lol.

61st of April

HSC
I can get it down to 3L/100km, but it has to be doing 60km/hr in 4th gear..... :/

I hear that higher gear and lower revs = best fuel efficiency

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I can get it down to 3L/100km, but it has to be doing 60km/hr in 4th gear..... :/

I hear that higher gear and lower revs = best fuel efficiency
That's the gist of it. Obviously the highest gear isn't automatically the most fuel efficient at all speeds/rpm. A lot of it comes down to both gearing and your right foot. The right foot can make ALL the difference.

61st of April

HSC
That's the gist of it. Obviously the highest gear isn't automatically the most fuel efficient at all speeds/rpm. A lot of it comes down to both gearing and your right foot. The right foot can make ALL the difference.
Hehe true that - when pressed to the floor on a hill it chugs 30L/100km, but gentle acceleration, cruising at a constant speed and taking foot off accelerator earlier before bends and red lights will save quite a bit (on brake pads too!). Ideal when running on 98 ;)

Rumour has it, no more 91 Unleaded soon!

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hehe true that - when pressed to the floor on a hill it chugs 30L/100km, but gentle acceleration, cruising at a constant speed and taking foot off accelerator earlier before bends and red lights will save quite a bit (on brake pads too!). Ideal when running on 98 ;)

Rumour has it, no more 91 Unleaded soon!
I think so. Many servos have already phased out 91 and replaced with E10 :(

And I agree about the taking the foot off approach- it can make so much difference as you coast to a red (I usually tap the brake very very lightly just so the brake lights are on) and then you lightly accelerate once it turns green to minimise fuel consumption. That being said, you need to know your brakes very well otherwise it could end up rather bad.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That goes with any sort of driving though...

Best I've gotten was 6.9L/100km
The point I was getting at was that if you're using the driving approach of coasting up to lights and not braking much so you don't need to accelerate, you need to know your brakes very well. This is in contrast to someone who brakes early and applies more pressure so that they definitively come to a stop at the lights. That being said it never hurts to know your brakes/car well.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Given, I do use the coasting technique when hypermiling but I've always assumed the correct technique was to apply moderate and constant pressure on the brake so that you can stop exactly on line without having to make significant adjustments (other than easing off at the end for a smoother stop). Having to apply more and more pressure leading to a sudden stop means that you've misjudged your braking distances.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Given, I do use the coasting technique when hypermiling but I've always assumed the correct technique was to apply moderate and constant pressure on the brake so that you can stop exactly on line without having to make significant adjustments (other than easing off at the end for a smoother stop). Having to apply more and more pressure leading to a sudden stop means that you've misjudged your braking distances.
You're correct- that is the right technique. As for misjudging braking distances- that could be the case, or you misjudged the timing of the lights turning green.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)