Full fee paying (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
no,
1: because i cant afford it
2: i believe it is keeping the rich in and poor out whether or not they deserve it.

Rahul

Dead Member
it is very unfair.

i have a question, regardign this. are uni's increasing the number of full fee paying students, which in effect will lower the number of people on hecs? is this why there were protestors at some uni's?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Only three of the universities offer full fee paying courses as it is (well, officially).
It is just a given that people will always charge a fee for something that you could obtain for 'free' with a little more effort (slightly different to this situation, but a similar message), and besides, 5 uai points isn't that much once you enter the degree.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bah.

RMIT? Royal Maritime Institute of Technology or something?

See post below: Ah. I don't know why that didn't occur to me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Generator
Bah.

RMIT? Royal Maritime Institute of Technology or something?
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by melbournian
It is not called Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, as it isn't a Tech Institute anymore.
Sorry, I chucked RMIT into google and that's what came up.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by deyveed
That building looks like a fairytale castle.
It looks fake to me (unless that is what you were implying).

Hand drawn, painted, something the computer made, etc.

:)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
btw, which is easier to do....transfer between courses or between a full fee and hecs place?
Generally, neither one is easier than the other - to the UAC, or VTAC, or whichever you're using, they're both 'transferring' from a different program (notice fee places have different course codes to HECS places for the same course).

But there are a few other considerations. First, remember that your non-recent school leaver rank (used when transferring), is calculated using your UAI and GPA in equal portions.

If you initially opt for a fee place, you'll be competing against students who have already attained the requisite UAI cut-off. Most universities bell curve their grades, forcing certain percentages of students to fall into the HD, D, C ranges etc. It could be harder to obtain a high GPA and thus harder to transfer if you pursue this path. However, you'll have no difficulties in obtaining credit for the subjects you've completed - you'll have no catching up to do (usually involves one of overloading, summer school, or extra semester).

Obviously, the converse arguments apply for HECS places.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Rahul
i have a question, regardign this. are uni's increasing the number of full fee paying students, which in effect will lower the number of people on hecs? is this why there were protestors at some uni's?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If nelson reforms pass the senate, then new full fee places can be created (not however, a replacement of HEC's places). No, it's not fair, but we live in a capitalist society and that is the harsh reality.

Kittycat

HSC
It is most unfair but I am choosing it anyway (No, I am not rich but I think I could barely afford it...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)