• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Full Paying Overseas Students ? (1 Viewer)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Are there any Full Paying overseas students here ?

Im currently doing a major on Full paying over seas students and the difficulties they encounter for my year 12 HSC

At the moment im at the very start so i dont have much to work with, but if anyone could tell me of their first experiences, some problems they faced, their difficulties, financial struggles, exploitation at workplaces, racism, cultural barriers/difficulties ... anything reallly.

I dont really have a specific area right now so im looking all over the place trying to find a specific area. Also i dont know much about this area as ive only begun to look into it so any information i receive will help me to find a direction.

Please help out. I would really appreciate any input. I realise some information may be personal, in which case if you wouldnt mind and are still keen on having an input just PM me. Im not interested in your identity, just some issues/areas of concern in which i can research

Thank you for taking your time to read this. :)

Last edited:

derekch

HSC
omgd. said:
Are there any Full Paying overseas students here ?

Im currently doing my HSC & doing a major on Full paying over seas students and the difficulties they encounter.

At the moment im at the very start so i dont have much to work with, but if anyone could tell me of their first experiences, some problems they faced, their difficulties, financial issues... anything reallly.

I dont really have a specific area right now so im looking all over the place trying to find a specific area. Also i dont know much about this area as ive only begun to look into it so any information i receive will help me to find a direction.

Please help out. I would really appreciate any input. I realise some information may be personal, in which case if you wouldnt mind and are still keen on having an input just PM me. Im not interested in your identity, just some issues/areas of concern in which i can research

Thank you for taking your time to read this. :)
I'm a full fee paying international student. My first impression of Australia is that it was a very multicultural country. I found the motto "fair go" appealing and hence I came to Australia for studies almost 4 years ago. I came alone and it was daunting at first, but soon I was greeted by friendly smiles at the airport.
In my first year in Australia, I've had my first encounter with racism.
However, the racism didn't come from white australians but from aboriginals whom lived a few houses away from mine.
It was hilarious because they were teasing me and told me to go home to China, which was funny, because 1. I'm not from China, 2. I don't really look like one (even though I'm a chinese)
It began to bother me as they started throwing rocks at me every time I pass by their house. Well, that was no longer a problem as I moved to another suburb where I stayed in a homestay with a white aussie family.
There were fantastic, cooked great meals, were very friendly and personal and I enjoyed living with them. Even if the food were mostly steaks, potatoes, peas, and stuff from barbie which was different from where I came from, I had no complains.
I had very fond memories of my first year in Australia (even though I encountered racism). I am aware about the history of racism (white policy, gold rush etc) in Australia. I still defend Australia when people back in my country would comment negatively about the racism in Australia (due to the lebanese issue).

The experience in classes were not as enriching as I had expected. Many Australians kept to themselves (like also many international students). But I do know of some Aussies who broke the ice quickly. I have few Aussie friends here compared the bulk of international friends I made at uni. Perhaps this is because that I don't approach them that much and they don't approach me at the same time. however, I did not experience any racism apart from the aboriginal one but I know a couple of my friends had.

Financially, it is challenging. Since I now live in a rented accomodation shared with two other friends, it is expensive compared to living in a homestay. There were the bills that had to be paid, and the rent and living costs that increases each year. Also, the internet plans offered here were weird, because there were download and upload limits that varies with different internet plans. Back from where I come from, we have unlimited internet downloads at any given plan. The only thing that varies between our internet plans were the speed. I had some shocks here, that the malls and shops here closes early at 5! Shopping malls and shops closes the earliest at 9.30 p.m. from where I come from. Culturally, i was shocked to see how Australians could lie down on any patches of grass and walk around uni barefooted. Haha. But I'm beginning to do that now, (lying down on grasses, that is).

Academically, I have expected it to be academically rigorous and it is. However, I still manage to enjoy life at uni and even at studies.

Overall, I have come to love Australia as a whole, and the laidback culture which is contrary to where I come from.
My only dissapointment was that many of the forum users here had generally racist views, which was not necessarily even if their views are vaild to a certain extend, coming from a country that believes that everyone should have a "fair go". I see in the news that people are blaming immigration for their problems (housing, etc).

That being said, I still intend to get a permanent residentship here to work and live out the Australian life if I am able to. I hope this gives you some insights on what to write for whatever assignment/project you are doing. Good luck!

Last edited:

omgd.

HSC
N/A
derekch said:
I'm a full fee paying international student. My first impression of Australia is that it was a very multicultural country. I found the motto "fair go" appealing and hence I came to Australia for studies almost 4 years ago. I came alone and it was daunting at first, but soon I was greeted by friendly smiles at the airport.
However, the racism didn't come from white australians but from aboriginals whom lived a few houses away from mine.
It was hilarious because they were teasing me and told me to go home to China, which was funny, because 1. I'm not from China, 2. I don't really look like one (even though I'm a chinese)
It began to bother me as they started throwing rocks at me every time I pass by their house. Well, that was no longer a problem as I moved to another suburb where I stayed in a homestay with a white aussie family.
There were fantastic, cooked great meals, were very friendly and personal and I enjoyed living with them. Even if the food were mostly steaks, potatoes, peas, and stuff from barbie which was different from where I came from, I had no complains.
I had very fond memories of my first year in Australia (even though I encountered racism). I am aware about the history of racism (white policy, gold rush etc) in Australia. I still defend Australia when people back in my country would comment negatively about the racism in Australia (due to the lebanese issue).

The experience in classes were not as enriching as I had expected. Many Australians kept to themselves (like also many international students). But I do know of some Aussies who broke the ice quickly. I have few Aussie friends here compared the bulk of international friends I made at uni. Perhaps this is because that I don't approach them that much and they don't approach me at the same time. however, I did not experience any racism apart from the aboriginal one but I know a couple of my friends had.

Financially, it is challenging. Since I now live in a rented accomodation shared with two other friends, it is expensive compared to living in a homestay. There were the bills that had to be paid, and the rent and living costs that increases each year. Also, the internet plans offered here were weird, because there were download and upload limits that varies with different internet plans. Back from where I come from, we have unlimited internet downloads at any given plan. The only thing that varies between our internet plans were the speed. I had some shocks here, that the malls and shops here closes early at 5! Shopping malls and shops closes the earliest at 9.30 p.m. from where I come from. Culturally, i was shocked to see how Australians could lie down on any patches of grass and walk around uni barefooted. Haha. But I'm beginning to do that now, (lying down on grasses, that is).

Academically, I have expected it to be academically rigorous and it is. However, I still manage to enjoy life at uni and even at studies.

Overall, I have come to love Australia as a whole, and the laidback culture which is contrary to where I come from.
My only dissapointment was that many of the forum users here had generally racist views, which was not necessarily even if their views are vaild to a certain extend, coming from a country that believes that everyone should have a "fair go". I see in the news that people are blaming immigration for their problems (housing, etc).

That being said, I still intend to get a permanent residentship here to work and live out the Australian life if I am able to. I hope this gives you some insights on what to write for whatever assignment/project you are doing. Good luck!

wow. THANK YOU
yes that was very helpful
i really appreciate you taking the time to write all that out for me, thank you heaps =).

ahh racism...
yes it is quite common here,
quite ironic considering how multicultural we are
but i guess some people are just like that
theres not much we can do sigh *

Ive undertaken some serious research on full paying overseas students after i made that post, and i have to say i came across some pretty shocking stuff !........ a lot of exploitation... esp in the workforce =S
However it doesnt sound like you experienced any of it which is good to see. =)

Anyways thanks again for all your input ! Much appreciated. =] ... I'll definately put it into use =D
I wish you all the best with the permanent residency & life here...hope it all works out well for youu ^^

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i haven't faced racism. im not white. im brown. local student.

i just think its hard for locals to integrate with imports.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
bigboyjames said:
i haven't faced racism. im not white. im brown. local student.

i just think its hard for locals to integrate with imports.

yeah it would be difficult,
thats the kind of stuff im looking for aswell
so if anyone would like to say why they think that is ?
thankxx. :)

lols.

my topic now is " International students face discrimination for their dollars "

So anything any one has to offer.
would be much appreciated. :)
theres heaps of stuff online
but raw stuff from students are obviously more valuable.
:D

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Gitanjali said:
the problem is most people think international students have gold mines back in their respective countries, which is not always the case

universities in australia have very limited scholarships for international students which makes it difficult when you are capable and deserving but cannot necessarily afford the tuition fees or get a loan because of your residency status
It's like that in other countries too. I would love to study in America, but I face those same financial problems.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
once again, thankk youu, :wave:

well from my research ive come across a number of issues :read:

1. international students are being paid less than that of their Australian born co workers due to their lack of knowledge of the Australian workforce. And by paid less i mean less than the legal minimum

2. some received fake brochures of their ' studying institutes' and were in shock after they had moved here. By that i mean there was no libraries, photocopied books and under qualified teachers.

3. All the extra costs; no Medicare, no travel concession ( not sure on this, thats what i heard =S ) , struggles for accommodation( and how prices are raised due to demand of campuses and residential property ) . uh mm..... extra visa fee's like even just for changing a course

4. How australia treats them as an infinte source of income

5. Ive been told of students who cant afford essentials such as food because after paying bills and rent theyre out of money, some who cant attend universitites regularly because of the transportation fees, some who are sick yet till have to go to school because too many absences jeopardizes their visa ( dnt knw wht tht case is with uni ) ..... and so forth .....

anyone have any comments ?
experiences ?

FutureAct

HSC

Hi,
I m new in this forum and I want to undertake an Bachelor degree in commerce in Melbourne University.
Actually I m in Canada as a student but I want to live in Australia. So I want to have some help for my future studies in Australia specially the scholarships available for internationals students (Is it feasible) ?
Could you explain me how you fund you studies there, because I m wondering about the cost of tuitions fees is much more expensive than Canada. Have you obtained a scholarship ? if so how could I process?
I m very interested to immigrate there and the best way i think is to be a student and get an internship and i will able to integrate the australian way of life.
Thank you if you could help me .

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
The 'r- word' (racism) gets thrown about too much these days. Clearly as our Chinese counterpart explained he has received racist treatment by one of the 'natives' of Australia (although, may I point out originally of Polynesian heritage themselves!!!). Indeed, I have been branded a 'white...' (explicit) and so on on numerous occasions by them, so proves that racism is not always perpetrated by the white population.

I would not necessarily call most of the treatment towards foreigners as 'racist', rather xenophobic angst (or fear of foreigners).
This post is not meant in any way to be racist, so please do not interpret it in that way. Playing 'devils advocate' one can understand some sentiment (or envy?) in that university places are being offered to foreign, or shall we say 'international', students to the exclusion of Australian students, likewise international student accomodation and jobs are also being offered, again at the exclusion of Australians. This is not confined to Australia of course, and is likely to take place in China, America, Great Britain and so on...
At the same time the government is using, or shall we say 'utilising' 'international' students to gain more revenue per student and then disregarding them after they are finished with them.

I hope you are enjoying your stay in Australia, I am from the 'motherland' myself, but am finding Australia a very hospitable and enjoyable place.

FutureAct

HSC
It's like that in other countries too. I would love to study in America, but I face those same financial problems.
Have you any idea how scholarship work in Australia, I m considering Melbourne University but they said me it is very competitive, I m currently a student in Canada but I want to study there.
Could you give me tips for obtaining some informations?
Do you think all of internationals students pay overseas fees, how could they pay?, All internationals students are rich???.
Thank you for your help.

Iamscrewed

HSC
HAHA..Kevin Rudd does'nt like Domestic and hence International FEE PAYING students/courses - thats why he phased out the DFEE places for ALL the uni courses..maybe one day he'll phase out the internationals...to keep the pirates busay :pirate:arrr!

Joking..lols, But does'nt international and domestic (before for DFEE) can apply for a HECS-HELP load like a CSP (govt. student) as well? They call it FEE-HELP instead of HECS...so financially its easy for dem ey?

FutureAct

HSC
HAHA..Kevin Rudd does'nt like Domestic and hence International FEE PAYING students/courses - thats why he phased out the DFEE places for ALL the uni courses..maybe one day he'll phase out the internationals...to keep the pirates busay :pirate:arrr!

Joking..lols, But does'nt international and domestic (before for DFEE) can apply for a HECS-HELP load like a CSP (govt. student) as well? They call it FEE-HELP instead of HECS...so financially its easy for dem ey?
I m new in this forum but I make my investigation on the Internet, I understood that australian students don't obtain easily scholarship for their study, I m wondering how they can fund their studies if the government does not help them.
Does anyone explain me how they do if a student is not an elite, What's this system work???

HSC
N/A
I m new in this forum but I make my investigation on the Internet, I understood that australian students don't obtain easily scholarship for their study, I m wondering how they can fund their studies if the government does not help them.
Does anyone explain me how they do if a student is not an elite, What's this system work???
they drop out

lala2

Banned
HSC
they drop out
lol don't be mean. US unis you have to pay upfront for the full cost of the degree--loans in the tens of thousands of dollars. Not sure if it's like that in Canada though? :confused:

Australian PR and citizens, and NZ citizens are entitled to the HECS system, which basically subsidises your education. The part you have to pay can be paid upfront (and if you pay more than a certain amount upfront, you get a 20% discount, i.e. you pay $1000 and it reduces $1200 of your debt), or deferred until you earn over a certain amount, and is taken out together with normal income tax, e.g. income tax is 15%, and they take out a little more as well, so what ends up in your bank account might be about 80% of your pre-income earnings (not sure if it's 5% though). Most students choose this second option.

FutureAct

HSC
lol don't be mean. US unis you have to pay upfront for the full cost of the degree--loans in the tens of thousands of dollars. Not sure if it's like that in Canada though? :confused:

Australian PR and citizens, and NZ citizens are entitled to the HECS system, which basically subsidises your education. The part you have to pay can be paid upfront (and if you pay more than a certain amount upfront, you get a 20% discount, i.e. you pay $1000 and it reduces $1200 of your debt), or deferred until you earn over a certain amount, and is taken out together with normal income tax, e.g. income tax is 15%, and they take out a little more as well, so what ends up in your bank account might be about 80% of your pre-income earnings (not sure if it's 5% though). Most students choose this second option.
But how International students pay their tuition fees if neither government nor universities help them to fund their studies? Australia accepted more than 177,000 international students in 2007, Does almost International students are rich?
According to your post Australian students are faced to a high debt once they leave university, paying (100,000*4years*0.8=320,000$)this amount discourage students to study, you don't think so?
If someone knows how International students could obtain some financial aid it will be very useful, please help.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I said our education is subsidised. I only pay $7000 per year for 4 years = $28k which is pretty manageable. Most people pay off their debt within 10 years, if they pay back only through the tax system.

I'm not sure what financial aid options are available to international students, search that on the websites of the unis you're interested in.

smchia

HSC
Im a full fee paying international student and I pay arounfd $28k per year. I need to convert AUD to my currency which is like 2.6 times the AUD price. Converting is pretty daunting process I reckon.Everything is so expensive here. Plus, for international students you don't get concession on transport (which is VERY UNFAIR), very little scholarships and loans available unless you are a genius or rather the top 3 smartest person in your course or uni. So, good luck!

spence

HSC
Wow each year you pay almost two times my entire degree cost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)