Full time student + Full time work (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
In order to get Youth Allowance (eventually) I will be doing 3 units semester 2 this year whilst also working full time. I know I won't have much time for anything else, but I am considering continuing to work full time maybe into semester 1 and 2 next year and maybe quitting after that.

Has anyone else been a full time student and worked full time before? Was it extremely stressful or is it worth the effort for the money?

doink

Clone
HSC
I'm having some trouble with the logistics, full time job 9-5 monday-friday which is usually when classes are on. I guess it can be done based on how intensive your degree is, what are you studying?

LordPc

HSC
18 contact hours per week
40 hours work p/w
68 hours + 56 for sleep
168 - 124 = 44 hours left to study, eat, go out, etc.

doable in theory, but you would have to be super strict with regards to your time management.
even with a commerce degree which would give a few less contact hours, it would still seem tough.

Andi0390

HSC
I work on and off. I wouldn't do it if I were you. I mean, in the first month or so you'd be fine, but come end of semester and you're going to have problems.

I mean uni is meant to be fun. Well I think it is. The kind of schedule you will be looking at you will not have room to screw up. Like you are going to actually have to do that whole time management thing, and then still, you are going to pushed come end of semester.

Plus, you'll probably have to take a few days to a week off for exams, and then you won't have much other holidays left after you use up two weeks of it like that.

If you are just making money to survive, you can do that on a casual job. Casual rates are going to be better than full time. If you work 20 hours a week at $15 an hour you could easily get by. Centrelink only gives you like $200 a week after rent assistance and if you get a decent job you can make that in 15 or so hours a week. It might be easier to get centrelink, but you may screw up your degree meanwhile, especially if you want to do honours. So you get to by non homebrand things and go out for dinner and afford clothing and heating, its not worth the loss of life living to me.

bayside9

HSC
You could still work part time and work heaps during the semester breaks and you'd be able to make it.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
I have done what you are about to attempt and would not recommend it. It is simply not possible to maintain grades and actually enjoy your life. Some students do have personal reasons for having to work massive numbers of hours and those that succeed are amazing imho. If you have any other choice though, don't.

The money will be nice while it is rolling in, but you will be far better of in the long run if you are able to find work after graduation in your desired career, and that often required excellent grades. Already by deciding to study at university you have deferred three or more years of possible earnings in favour of the prospect of a higher salary upon graduation. I would stick with that, and if for some reason you desperately need the money I would suggest taking time off study completely.

Student poverty is no fun. Remember though, it is only a few years at most and for most graduates, you will enjoy a comfortable existence after that.

zaqwerty

HSC
Well I kind of have to do it this semester, and my three units are external ones. But from what you're all saying I guess I didn't think it through properly... I just really enjoy my job (much better than I ever liked casual work). But I guess almost everyone at uni is also working in a crappy casual job...

Jennt

HSC
N/A
I've done exactly this this semester. Full time work, 3external science subjects. NOT doing it again! I have managed but am not sure how many subjects I will pass/not pass - it will be "close" I think, pass or fail. I will be happy to get 3 p's - after averaging D's in the semesters when I've only done 2 subjects.

zaqwerty

HSC
I've done exactly this this semester. Full time work, 3external science subjects. NOT doing it again! I have managed but am not sure how many subjects I will pass/not pass - it will be "close" I think, pass or fail. I will be happy to get 3 p's - after averaging D's in the semesters when I've only done 2 subjects.
What are you doing semester 2?

Jennt

HSC
N/A
CBMS234 and CHEM101(?). I know chem is pretty full-on so deliberately chose the other that has no final exam and is all online. WBU?

zaqwerty

HSC
CUL101, HIST270, and another history unit (name escapes me atm). I'm basically making up some credit points I need, so I'm just doing three units I'm interested in. Hopefully my interest will be enough to keep me motivated throughout the whole semester!

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
If you only have to do it for one semester it is only 14 weeks and provided you are relatively healthy to begin with you should be fine. My advice would be to sacrifice work performance for study time. It is much easier to fly under the radar as a bad worker than to hide as a poor student who is quantitatively scales and transcripts will be important in the early part of your career.

Keep your head down and good luck, you need less sleep than you think if you get into a good routine.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
CUL101, HIST270, and another history unit (name escapes me atm). I'm basically making up some credit points I need, so I'm just doing three units I'm interested in. Hopefully my interest will be enough to keep me motivated throughout the whole semester!
You should know this already, but don't underestimate the amount of reading and outside-of-contact-hours work you need to do with arts/humanities based subjects.

And its do-able, I worked full time and did my Honours full time

pottsy44

HSC
I have been doing it for 3.5 years now:

first year - 3 subjects per semester
second year - 4 subjects per semester
third year - 4 subjects per semster
fourth year - 3 subjects per semster (now)
fifth year - will be 2 subjects per semester.

this is my third full time job during this time.

first job - all first year was 8:30 - 5:15
second job - second and third year was flexible hours which was generally 8-4:30
third job - fourth year (now) is 8:30-5, however, it is a very demanding job.

the way every job has worked has been one day off to attend classes while the rest is night classes (generally 2 nights). But my course (construction management) is structured to allow for night classes.

has it been easy? as a whole, yes. although at times it is difficult when big assignments/projects are due.

in hindsight would i do it again? yes, i have worked my way into a very good job currently and i am content with my position and the work experience that i have got.

likingtherain

HSC
N/A
The trick is to try and get a job which gives you the flexibility to move your hours around when you need to. So that you can work extra at the start of a semester and less towards the end when you have assignments due.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)