Full time uni and part time job? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I know there’s a few threads on this, but feel like my situation is a tiny bit different. I’m doing full time uni but I only need to go into uni twice a week. The rest being online, I can watch later as they’re recorded. Anyways I may have an opportunity to work at a real estate firm as like an assistant sorta thing. I’m fairly sure they’ll ask me to work 20 hours a week give or take. Do youse think it’s possible to do both? If it’s relevant, my uni course and the job do not correlate at all career wise. Thanks.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I know there’s a few threads on this, but feel like my situation is a tiny bit different. I’m doing full time uni but I only need to go into uni twice a week. The rest being online, I can watch later as they’re recorded. Anyways I may have an opportunity to work at a real estate firm as like an assistant sorta thing. I’m fairly sure they’ll ask me to work 20 hours a week give or take. Do youse think it’s possible to do both? If it’s relevant, my uni course and the job do not correlate at all career wise. Thanks.
Kind of depends how much are marks important for your degree and future. Most degrees having a high credit to distinction should be a good enough mark to get into some internships if you have other good skills and work experience that can give you a good resume and ability to discuss about yourself in interviews. If it's along those lines then yeah losing a few marks for the benefit of gaining money and work experience even if it's not related to your degree is a good idea.

If in your degree you need high marks for a certain reason like you want to do a masters or PhD where entry relies highly on the marks of the student then it's not worth it in that case because you may negatively impact your future.

Keep in mind though if you do go take the job you will have to make some sacrifices that may lessen the enjoyment or balance of your experience while at uni. It's difficult to work 20 hours a week, maintain good uni marks, have a social life and have good fitness (gym, sports, sleep amount etc.), so there will be some downsides in that respect. You can decide which one of those you sacrifice or have less time spent on based on your own goals and what you enjoy doing but it's next to impossible to do all of those simultaneously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)